CFZ Which Players Are Having Their "Breakout" Season?

plasticman

Reaction score
I would say that the player on top would have to be Donavon Wilson, the guy leading all defenders in tackles. His is near the top of every Cowboys lists in defensive categories.

Tony Pollard is having a breakout season. He is on pace for a thousand or more years and he leads all NFL RB's in yards per carry. Then again, he has been steadily trending up each previous season. Can we still say he is having a breakout season? I think so.

Noah Brown should be considered, especially if he comes back after the bye and continues his contributions.

Remember, breakout season is defined as a season where a formerly low contributor per season for the team makes a significant contribution that indicates a huge trend up for his career.

It cannot apply to rookies. Obviously, it cannot apply to a player that has previously made a huge contribution.

I would say that my greatest disappointments are no breakout season for one of many, highly drafted DT's. I believe that the trade for Hankins confirms this. I had also hoped that a young CB would step up. It hasn't happened.

Did Cooper Rush have a breakout season? Well, I think we can concede that he had a breakout quarter season. If he was having a breakout season then he would have still been starting.

Is Terrence Steele having a breakout season. Difficult to say unless he is getting props from influential sources., Zack martin did say he was the best run blocker he knew. When did Terrence begin impressing Martin?

In your opinion, who is having the breakout season?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would say that the player on top would have to be Donavon Wilson, the guy leading all defenders in tackles. His is near the top of every Cowboys lists in defensive categories.

Tony Pollard is having a breakout season. He is on pace for a thousand or more years and he leads all NFL RB's in yards per carry. Then again, he has been steadily trending up each previous season. Can we still say he is having a breakout season? I think so.

Noah Brown should be considered, especially if he comes back after the bye and continues his contributions.

Remember, breakout season is defined as a season where a formerly low contributor per season for the team makes a significant contribution that indicates a huge trend up for his career.

It cannot apply to rookies. Obviously, it cannot apply to a player that has previously made a huge contribution.

I would say that my greatest disappointments are no breakout season for one of many, highly drafted DT's. I believe that the trade for Hankins confirms this. I had also hoped that a young CB would step up. It hasn't happened.

Did Cooper Rush have a breakout season? Well, I think we can concede that he had a breakout quarter season. If he was having a breakout season then he would have still been starting.

Is Terrence Steele having a breakout season. Difficult to say unless he is getting props from influential sources., Zack martin did say he was the best run blocker he knew. When did Terrence begin impressing Martin?

Malik Hooker is probably having the best season of his career.
Certainly a huge comeback from his last two seasons.

LVE isn't having as good a season, but it's another huge comeback from recent years.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
Some players grow considerably from year to year. That's what breakout season means to me. (Wilson)

Others just finally get the playing time to show their stuff. (Rush as better-than-average backup)

Still others finally get long overdue credit. (Pollard, Steele)

RoboQB

Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong is breakin' out a bit.
Terrance Steele deserves serious consideration.
Noah Brown has made some noise.
Donovan Wilson has shown flashes.
If kickers counted (they don't per Tuna... lol) I'd add Brett Maher.

And my winner is....
Terrance Steele
When All-World Zack Martin is gushing over a fellow lineman,
I will take him at his word.
Congrats Terrance Steele. Look how far you've come.

(To me, Pollard was ineligible for this award.)

plymkr

Reaction score

What about coaches? I'd say the coaching staff has been better this year.

McGovern is keeping his own.
Steele gets a vote.
Brown holds his own with people throwing away from Diggs.

IDK, this is a hard question cuz it seems like every player is playing better than last year, or at least playing solid. Not being able to narrow it to 1 player is a good problem to have.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
A breakout season is an unexpected and delightful performance from a player. Armstrong, Noah, Bland, Tyler, Ferguson, Hendershot, Steele and Rush are all candidates, IMO.

DanA

Reaction score
There's a few

Steele, McGovern, Armstrong, Hooker, Wilson, N.Brown, Maher and Pollard are all having career seasons. You could add Rush although I just think he had a good run.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

No credit to our coaching staff? They are miles better than what we had when Garrett was coach.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Some players grow considerably from year to year. That's what breakout season means to me. (Wilson)

Others just finally get the playing time to show their stuff. (Rush as better-than-average backup)

Still others finally get long overdue credit. (Pollard, Steele)
Number one ain't breakout, that's called evolving. Breakout would have been if Cooper Rush played the whole season, won 12 games and averaged 300+ yards per game.

Like being in the shadows one season and all of a sudden in the top 10 the next.

So while we have many players doing great (Steele, Smith, Hendershot, Ferguson, Williams, Hooker, ...) there are no breakout players imo. Maybe Pollard if they let him play like in the Chicago game. Or Noah Brown if Dak keeps targeting him like Cooper did.

And all the others doing great weren't unknowns, like Parsons, Diggs etc..

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’d consider breakout someone who is turning into an above average player. I’m seeing a lot of guys on here that are playing more but just average IMO.

DA would be the top candidate for me.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Dorance Armstrong
- Donovan Wilson
- Noah Brown
- Terrence Steele
- Brett Maurer
- Cooper Rush

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cooper Rush: Solely in the context of backup QB I would call his season a breakout. We didn't know before that he could win games if forced into action for several games.
Noah Brown: Stepping up in his first opportunity with reular targets
Donovan Wilson: At least for this season maybe the biggest difference maker at safety since Woodson.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
My top 3 are;

Donovan Wilson
Dorance Armstrong
Noah Brown

You know, it's refreshing to think about this as we do have several candidates from this season so a massive positive for this season and beyond.

If I'm allowed to sneak a "maybe" breakout season - Malik Hooker. Injuries really hammered him but he's steadily got better and better. I still can't believe he's only 26 too. He's stealthily becoming one of my favourite players.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb - Left all by himself without Amari Cooper, Lamb has broken out as the Cowboys #1. And given the fact Dak Prescott was out for 5 straight games, it's possible Lamb could match his production from last year if he and Prescott are able to come together post-thumb injury.

Payton Hendershot -
This guy arrived on the scene in preseason. And he's a big reason that the team is 6-2 right now. But if he hasn't done much, how can he be a big reason? The little things count. The little things can be a turning point in the game. His entire career, Payton Hendershot has done the little things for his team, and came up big for it in the end. That's how he became a Dallas Cowboy. The fact we have three TEs who can all play at the starter level as TEs . . . is going to end up giving teams headaches. The way I see it, the Cowboys could revolutionize the league by starting a new trend here. That stuff by Kellen Moore is creative.

Tony Pollard - If there ever was any doubt, the world knows now: Tony can do it without Zeke. It's really a matter of should Tony do it without Zeke, or another back. I say keep him healthy.

Trevon Diggs - If 11 interceptions isn't your thing, perhaps giving up the fewest points on the most targets might help your reputation break out as a shut down corner. I haven't verified that stat, and it's probably not even true. Cooper Kupp had his way with him, but Diggs still came out on top. Diggs has held it down so far this year. Keeping several other players out of the endzone altogether.

Quinton Bohanna - I can't see why they let Trysten Hill go. If it's me, I move a guy like Gifford, McKeon (because you can PS him). Whatever the case, Hill was contributing enough to be playing on a top defense, but Quinton Bohanna has erased any doubt he can start in this league. To me, he's the one player I doubted this off-season. Nice amount of improvement from year 1 to year 2. He'll look better playing next to a guy like Hankins.

Sam Williams - he simply hasn't gotten the reps. But anyone watching can see the talent all over this kid. The Eagles may have gotten Quinn, but they can't touch our pass rush when we have guys like Williams, Parsons, Fowler, Tank, Dorance.. That's why it's hard to score points on us.

Dante Fowler - Pretty sure he's not getting enough credit for being one of Quinn's boys who has helped this team win games. Fowler has come up big time in big time games. He'll be key to our post season success too.

Noah Brown - Six years and this guy finally proves he not not only has value, you can rely on his overall skill set when you have to.Still, if this is really his break out year, he's going to have to step up his game.

Cooper Rush - I mean, he looked awful in the preseason. He stunk. Then he comes in with the starters and looks like a completely different player. If he was the goof I thought he was, our record would look like the Commanders' right now. Instead, we're 6-2.

Terrance Steele - Quietly having a good year. And making us forget about . . . .that other guy.

Tyler Biadeasz - Some were arguing how terrible he was in the off-season. Haven't heard much of that this year. He looks to be improved to the point people at least no longer pick on him, so he must be doing alright given he plays for the team with the whiniest fan base, per capita.

Last edited:

DandyTom64

Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong is breakin' out a bit.
Terrance Steele deserves serious consideration.
Noah Brown has made some noise.
Donovan Wilson has shown flashes.
If kickers counted (they don't per Tuna... lol) I'd add Brett Maher.

And my winner is....
Terrance Steele
When All-World Zack Martin is gushing over a fellow lineman,
I will take him at his word.
Congrats Terrance Steele. Look how far you've come.

(To me, Pollard was ineligible for this award.)
Terrence Steele. Another Texas Tech prodigy.

plasticman

Reaction score
It's funny, because I see some players, particularly rookies, who are contributing to a degree and I see real potential for breakout seasons next year as well.

I think Tyler Smith will be the dominant LT next season. He's playing well, that is, when you consider he's a rookie. However, if you were to put him up with every LT in the league, where would he rank? I would be satisfied with middle of the pack. However, next season, he will btralout and make the pro Bowl.

Both rookie TE's have the opportunity to really grow next season. Currently, a handful of receptions will not suffice as a breakout.

Daron Bland is another name you will hear more often next season. I think he's just scratching the surface right now
Back to this season..

Anyone who is already a starter can only have a breakout season if they make the Pro Bowl. Wouldn't that be the next level?

I don't think a player can have two breakout seasons, that would contradict the definition. That 2nd "breakout" is where he is just recapturing something he already accomplished.

The additions of Dorance Armstrong and Malik Hooker by some is a strong suggestion. However, I hope to see a little more from both players in the 2nd half of the season