Which prospect at 19 is “slam dunk” for Cowboys & which would have you “shaking your head”?

waving monkey

Reaction score
My slam dunk pick is actually three names: Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, or James Daniels, because all would solve the left guard issue. I still think that is the one issue the Cowboys have to fix first and with as close to a sure fire starter as possible. All other current needs can be met in round two and later. Give me that stud guard prospect and I will do my happy dance.
Shaking my head: WR Calvin Ridley. You can plug any other wide receiver in there, as well. Dallas is moving away from the traditional model for the passing game (I think, and don’t need to sink a major pick into the position). So many mocks and analyses now say that receiver is the top need, and I just don’t agree, especially with what looks like a lot of second round and on talent at the position. Plus, I am not convinced there is a legit Top-20 wide receiver in the 2018 class right now. I really think there are a bunch of great second round talents but not anyone that just screams at us that they will dominate from day one. It’s like the quarterback group. None of the top four or five candidates are really Top-5 or even Top-10 talents but the scarcity in the league is going to make teams overpay for them.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...owboys-which-would-have-you-shaking-your-head

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sutton would have me shaking my head. Essentially...we would have a more toned down version of Dez,but still cant run great routes. Its a status quo move. My slam dunks are Hernandez,Wynn, Evans.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I am at that stage I get one week before each draft. I have read and thought about made up my mind a thousand different ways
and changed my mind again. What I agree with is the two critical needs or OG and LB. WR can be a need no doubt and it may be they'll draft
like last year going heavy at DB. I dont know but fix the damn offensive line. FA was only the beginning.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think receivers will not be picked until round 2. Not 1 goes in the first round. Why use a premium pick at 19 when you can get the same exact player value at 50? Miller at 50 is not only the better receiver,but the best value. He reminds me so much of Antonio Brown. In fact..I wouldn't even be mad if we took a TE at 50. As long as its a Jimmy Graham type like Gesicki or Goedert. My dark horse TE is Ian Thomas. Watch out for him in round 3 or 4. Could be a steal.With Hanna now retired,we have work to do.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
:clap:there be no argument from me should they scoop up a big dominating dog for the O.L.
as it's an issue that must be addressed, I'll be somewhat disappointed once again seeing the misdirected allocations of prime draft capital resources expended in the first round for it though, the concerted effort in last years draft in the long overdue revamping of the defensive secondary is proving to be rather impressive,,, one more committed surge by the FO in this years draft in rounding out the DEFENSIVE half of the team will reap stellar dividends;)

* once I recover from hurling my fandom up & going blind,,,I'll Stoke the flames of hatred should a WR be taken at the #19 picko_O

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't know about slam dunk. I guess if someone were to fall, like Vea, Smith, or James, I'd consider that a slam dunk.

Personally, I'd like Landry or Ridley or Evans, of the realistic options.

Puke options include Sutton, Bryan, Vander Esch, k Miller.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Slam Dunk Picks:
Quenton Nelson
Bradley Chubb
Derwin James
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Roquan Smith
Tremaine Edmunds
Vita Vea
Denzel Ward
Harold Landry
D.J. Moore

Shaking My Head:
Kolton Miller
D.J. Chark
Christian Kirk
Calvin Ridley
Mike McGlinchey
Connor Williams
Taven Bryan
Leighton Vander Esch

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sutton would be not only a head scratcher, but a throw something at the TV! move for me.
And like you..I like Sutton...but just not at 19. That about accurate? I like the fit..but at 19...its a reach. I rather get Miller or Harrison at 50. MEANING...I RATHER have a skilled polished receiver in Miller at 50..than a jump ball..not so polished guy at 19. Also...I would go for a safety at 50,which is why I love Harrison.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And like you..I like Sutton...but just not at 19. That about accurate? I like the fit..but at 19...its a reach. I rather get Miller or Harrison at 50. MEANING...I RATHER have a skilled polished receiver in Miller at 50..than a jump ball..not so polished guy at 19. Also...I would go for a safety at 50,which is why I love Harrison.

DJ Moore is my top guy at the position, but I wouldn't even want him at pick #19.

I hope they didn't just create a hole through their own making to turn around and burn their first round pick to fill it. That's stupid on top of stupid.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
I’m obviously hoping someone falls like Smith/Edmunds/James/Vea. If not then my slam dunk is most likely Evans or Wynn.

SMH: Sutton at 19.

Rayman70

Reaction score
DJ Moore is my top guy at the position, but I wouldn't even want him at pick #19.

I hope they didn't just create a hole through their own making to turn around and burn their first round pick to fill it. That's stupid on top of stupid.
that's my fear. If Will MCclay is truly running the show..we will know come Thurs.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think we see a run on QB'S and oline in the top 10...changing the entire leagues draft board.You watch..this draft will get nuts early. Remember..we have 4 starting caliber olineman that could go early. Denver has a big need,so does Cleveland,and the Giants.Barkley is not a forgone conclusion at 2...not at all. Gettleman loves the big uglies...that's his forte. So Nelsen at 2 would not shock me...or Chubb. However..I can see them drafting Rosen at 2. If that happens I will laugh!! Rosen will be a big reach at 2...but because of need..it may well happen.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Process of elimination tells me that the 2nd overall pick by Gettleman will NOT be a running back.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have Smith ticketed to San Francisco to replace the Reuben Foster mistake.
Could be . Its a fit. I can see LVE get way over drafted as well and go to San fran. He's been worked out by them like 5 times. It would be mistake number 2..but for other reasons than Foster. Foster was just a complete *** hat off the field,and nothing has changed. LVE is high risk reward...meaning, he may not be a fit,and might be a part time guy at first.

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Slam Dunk Picks:
Quenton Nelson
Derwin James
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Roquan Smith
Tremaine Edmunds
Vita Vea

Shaking My Head:
Any WR