Which receivers do you think make the 53?

davidariust24

Reaction score
sure its very early

in 2016 they kept 5
in 2017 they kept 6

1. Deonte Thompson
  2. Allen Hurns
  3. Michael Gallup
  4. Cedrick Wilson
  5. KD Cannon
  6. Terrance Williams
  7. Noah Brown
  8. Lance Lenoir
  9. Cole Beasley

i would say locks are;

1. Allen Hurns
  2. Michael Gallup
  3. Cole Beasley
  4. Terrance Williams
  5. Noah Brown - i think Noah is a lock because Oquinn specifically mentioned him as 1 of his 4 ST guys and Sanjay mentioned him yesterday as a guy who stepped up

with Thompson injured it gives more opportunities to a guy like Lenoir
i know they like Lenoir but unsure if he can be PS eligible again or do they go 6 at wr?
Cedrick Wilson is undoubtedly a PS guy
KD i havent heard anything good or bad about him really since otas started
even though TWill is a bonehead at times and injured i think by TC he will be getting 1st team reps again, they like him too much to cut him -i think cutting him is about 4.5M dead money this year
it does seem that if one of these other guys was balling out in TC it might give then serious consideration over him but still
I wonder if they will count tavon Austin as one of the four running backs they seem to normally keep

Big_D

Reaction score
Get Williams the hell out of here! It's time. Much rather keep Wilson on the roster. Gallup, Hearns, Beasley, Thompson Wilson, Brown

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Literally every slot and the six roster spots are up for grabs with the WR group this year. It's crazy. Lal said yesterday they're keeping 6 (they could keep more, of course, but I think they're going in looking for the best 6). I'd handicap it like this, with Austin not counting as part of the WR group but definitely on the team.

Beasley: Best WR on the team now
Hurns: Lock, because of his contract and experience
Gallop: He's got a head start on the gameday reps with Terrence hurt
Brown: ST value means he likely gets the 5/6 spot
Williams: He was a solid lock before pulling his stunt this summer. Still likely because, if he's not, We'd only be returning one of Dak's primary targets from last season. If he does make the team, he'll probably be back in his old role, at least to start.
Thompson: This spot could go to anybody, but nod to Thompson for his speed and prior experience with Lal.

Wilson: A strong preseason could bump Thompson or Terrence off the depth chart. It's a possibility with this guy.
Lenoir: He looked like a guy with an outside chance to make the roster last season. He'd probably be a decent ST guy, too, and early word is he's worked hard in the offseason to get stronger. Though to see him making the top 6, though, with all the wash in front of him. Unless somebody above him gets hurt.
Cannon: Speed gets him into the conversation, at least. He looks like a PS guy who needs to buy time to develop his technique.

Hard to disagree. Have to wonder what it would take to push TWill off the roster. Wilson and Thompson playing well might do it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I was going to start a thread asking around on who thought Terrance Williams would make the 53 and who didn't.

I HOPE TWill is gone but I THINK the odds are slightly better than 50/50 that he is on the roster. A suspension would be welcome IMO.

The best case scenario is that the whole thing lights a fire under Williams and he comes out looking like a solid #2 next year. He will never be a #1 but he has had flashes before. Not last year but in the seasons prior.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know who, but I still have a feeling that we will tradefor or sign a very good receiver that may be cut. Maybe I'm just wishing we do.

Aven8

Reaction score
Not to sidetrack the thread. But TWill messing up killed my hope of him being traded. I would gladly take a 4th for him and move on with one of the young guys.

A 4th? Lol. I would take a 7th and not look back. In fact I would give up a 7th to unload him.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Olawale is almost certainly a lock to make the 53
so Zeke
Smith
Olawale
Austin is listed as a rb although Linehan declared him a wr

i dont think they go 5 runningbacks and 6 receivers
not even sure they go 6 receivers

i like Cedrick but i dont think anyone will poach him from the PS
plus if he stays theres a pretty good chance he could get into the lineup on this team

Darius and Bo i think are looking at PS barring injuries
backup guys have to be core ST guys like Jamize , Rod Smith and Tavon for example
Jamize is a FB not running back

Mr_437

Reaction score
Gucci for now:
1. Hurns
2. Gallup
3. Beasley
4. Thompson
5. TWill*
6. Brown

Need big TC/Preseason games:
7. Wilson
8. Lenoir
9. Cannon

* Sneaky feeling about his spot.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
sure its very early

in 2016 they kept 5
in 2017 they kept 6

1. Deonte Thompson
  2. Allen Hurns
  3. Michael Gallup
  4. Cedrick Wilson
  5. KD Cannon
  6. Terrance Williams
  7. Noah Brown
  8. Lance Lenoir
  9. Cole Beasley

i would say locks are;

1. Allen Hurns
  2. Michael Gallup
  3. Cole Beasley
  4. Terrance Williams
  5. Noah Brown - i think Noah is a lock because Oquinn specifically mentioned him as 1 of his 4 ST guys and Sanjay mentioned him yesterday as a guy who stepped up

with Thompson injured it gives more opportunities to a guy like Lenoir
i know they like Lenoir but unsure if he can be PS eligible again or do they go 6 at wr?
Cedrick Wilson is undoubtedly a PS guy
KD i havent heard anything good or bad about him really since otas started
even though TWill is a bonehead at times and injured i think by TC he will be getting 1st team reps again, they like him too much to cut him -i think cutting him is about 4.5M dead money this year
it does seem that if one of these other guys was balling out in TC it might give then serious consideration over him but still

I am going with Gallup, Hurns, Thompson, Austin, Brown, and Wilson. That’s right Williams and Beasley are out. I see 1 being cut the other traded.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I HOPE TWill is gone but I THINK the odds are slightly better than 50/50 that he is on the roster. A suspension would be welcome IMO.

The best case scenario is that the whole thing lights a fire under Williams and he comes out looking like a solid #2 next year. He will never be a #1 but he has had flashes before. Not last year but in the seasons prior.

I'm done with the guy. But I'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

I'd be pissed if we kept him around for one kore yer at the expense of keeping Brown or Wilson.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
1. Michael Gallup (he's the NFL's next Michael Thomas)
2. Deonte Thompson (outside speed receiver, will split reps with Hurns)
3. Cole Beasley (starting slot)
4. Allen Hurns (great option when you want a possession receiver instead of Thompson, say in the redzone)
5. Terrance Williams (he'll get time in case of injury, has experience. Otherwise, Devin Street 14/15 role)
6. If they keep a 6th... it'll be between Brown (blocking receiver/TE hybrid) and Wilson (young spark plug, may start off on the PS though).

zekecowboy

Reaction score
WR:

1. Hurns
2. Gallup
3. Beasley
4. Thompson
5. Lenoir
6. Brown

TWill* gets a suspension. Dallas waives him.
Austin is considered a RB. Wilson is on practice squad.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would go with six to start with:
Deonte Thompson
Allen Hurns
Michael Gallup
Cedrick Wilson
Cole Beasley
Noah Brown

2 QB, 6 WR, 3 TE, 5 RB/FB, and 9 OL

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Here are the Locks to make the team:
  • Terrance Williams - is the incumbent starter, and he hasn't lost his job. He does NOT have a DUI, he has a misdemeanor citation for public intoxication. That's the equivalent of a speeding ticket, and doesn't involve getting a suspension. Did he make a bone-headed mistake? Sure. But fans are over-reacting. He didn't flee the scene of an accident. He went to call a tow-truck, and came back to get the car. In Texas, you are NOT required to call the police for a minor traffic accident. Also, Williams is a lot more valuable as a downfield blocker in the run game than fans realize - and this is a run first team.
  • Cole Beasley - is the incumbent slot receiver, and he hasn't lost his job.
  • Alan Hurns - is the bridge guy between Dez Bryant and Michael Gallup, who is on a 1 year, $5.7M deal. The Cowboys have a team option to renew his contract for another year for $6.3M if Gallup is a bust as a draft pick. Hurns can also play the slot, so he could challenge Beasley for that role if he's displaced by Gallup on the outside.
  • Michael Gallup - is the 3rd round pick the Cowboys had graded out as a 2nd round talent. He will make the team, and if the Cowboys get their wish, he'll take over the starting job from Hurns mid-way through his rookie season - much like Williams took the starting job from Miles Austin in 2013.
In The Hunt

The Cowboys will carry 6 WR's on the team in 2018, so there are two more positions up for grabs, and the following players will compete for the last two positions.
  • Tavon Austin - the Cowboys have to pay Austin at least $1M if he doesn't make the team - unless another team picks him up, in which case the Cowboys only have to pay him the difference between his salary and the $1M guaranteed. If he doesn't work out in training camp, the Cowboys can easily cut him and move on. But it is likely he's the 5th wideout to make the team. Austin could make the team as a RB, but that would mean cutting both Jackson and Scarbrough.
  • Deonte Thompson - the Cowboys have already paid Thompson a $1M signing bonus, and he's a special teams threat (like Austin). But they will also not hesitate to eat his bonus and move on if another young player proves more valuable.
  • Noah Brown - Brown has to show improvement in his 2nd season. He's shown he can be an effective blocker in the run game, which gives him an advantage
  • Cedrick Wilson - Wilson has received some praise in OTA's, but he's a bottom of the 6th round player, who could likely be signed to the Practice Squad if he doesn't show enough to stand out above the veteran players.
  • Lance Lenoir - Lenoir has been a little impressive in how he's developed over the past season, so he's not as big of a long-shot as some may imagine. He could be a sleeper pick to make the team, but he'll have to prove it.
Brown, Wilson and Lenoir are eligible for the Practice Squad.

Camp Bodies
  • K.D. Cannon
  • Mekale McKay, Jr.
  • Marchie Murdock

Last edited: