Which receivers do you think make the 53?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Here are the Locks to make the team:
  • Terrance Williams - is the incumbent starter, and he hasn't lost his job. He does NOT have a DUI, he has a misdemeanor citation for public intoxication. That's the equivalent of a speeding ticket, and doesn't involve getting a suspension. Did he make a bone-headed mistake? Sure. But fans are over-reacting. He didn't flee the scene of an accident. He went to call a tow-truck, and came back to get the car. In Texas, you are NOT required to call the police for a minor traffic accident. Also, Williams is a lot more valuable as a downfield blocker in the run game than fans realize - and this is a run first team.
  • Cole Beasley - is the incumbent slot receiver, and he hasn't lost his job.
  • Alan Hurns - is the bridge guy between Dez Bryant and Michael Gallup, who is on a 1 year, $5.7M deal. The Cowboys have a team option to renew his contract for another year for $6.3M if Gallup is a bust as a draft pick. Hurns can also play the slot, so he could challenge Beasley for that role if he's displaced by Gallup on the outside.
  • Michael Gallup - is the 3rd round pick the Cowboys had graded out as a 2nd round talent. He will make the team, and if the Cowboys get their wish, he'll take over the starting job from Hurns mid-way through his rookie season - much like Williams took the starting job from Miles Austin in 2013.
In The Hunt

The Cowboys will carry 6 WR's on the team in 2018, so there are two more positions up for grabs, and the following players will compete for the last two positions.
  • Tavon Austin - the Cowboys have to pay Austin at least $1M if he doesn't make the team - unless another team picks him up, in which case the Cowboys only have to pay him the difference between his salary and the $1M guaranteed. If he doesn't work out in training camp, the Cowboys can easily cut him and move on. But it is likely he's the 5th wideout to make the team. Austin could make the team as a RB, but that would mean cutting both Jackson and Scarbrough.
  • Deonte Thompson - the Cowboys have already paid Thompson a $1M signing bonus, and he's a special teams threat (like Austin). But they will also not hesitate to eat his bonus and move on if another young player proves more valuable.
  • Noah Brown - Brown has to show improvement in his 2nd season. He's shown he can be an effective blocker in the run game, which gives him an advantage
  • Cedrick Wilson - Wilson has received some praise in OTA's, but he's a bottom of the 6th round player, who could likely be signed to the Practice Squad if he doesn't show enough to stand out above the veteran players.
  • Lance Lenoir - Lenoir has been a little impressive in how he's developed over the past season, so he's not as big of a long-shot as some may imagine. He could be a sleeper pick to make the team, but he'll have to prove it.
Brown, Wilson and Lenoir are eligible for the Practice Squad.

Camp Bodies
  • K.D. Cannon
  • Mekale McKay, Jr.
  • Marchie Murdock

Just to add to my comments above:

#5 Special Teams/Wide Receiver
  • Deonte Thompson
  • Lance Lenoir
#4 Wide Receivers (with chance to move up to #2 receiver)
  • Noah Brown
  • Cedrick Wilson
#3 Slot receivers
  • Beasley - is a slot guy.
  • Austin - is also a gadget/slot guy.
#2 Wide receivers
  • Hurns = Williams.
  • Williams = Hurns
Both of them are good for about 45 catches, 650 yards and 4-5 TD's per season. They are both really solid #2 WR's in the NFL. And they will open up as the starters for the Cowboys this season, except if they get injured.

#1 Wide Receiver
  • Michael Gallup - the only bona fide candidate to be a #1 receiver for the team, but he needs to prove it. He's also a rookie, so expectations need to be tempered.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurns
Gallup
Beasley
Thompson
Brown
Wilson

They keep six because they know they don't have front line talent there. Williams gets cut.

I can't believe how bad the skill positions are with this team. I mean we are talking dreadful other than Zeke.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not to sidetrack the thread. But TWill messing up killed my hope of him being traded. I would gladly take a 4th for him and move on with one of the young guys.
Traded? When he was a FA, no one even winked at him. Think you may be overvaluing him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was going to start a thread asking around on who thought Terrance Williams would make the 53 and who didn't.
I think the team is waiting on a suspension to get them off the hook for his guaranteed money to cut him.
That's what I'm thinking too. I find it hard to want him on the field.

Last year, Butler would have been a better fit as the starter. This year, Thompson. And that's only while we're waiting on Gallup.

Hurns + Williams doesn't look better than last year. Cheaper. But a grim way to start the season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what I'm thinking too. I find it hard to want him on the field.

Last year, Butler would have been a better fit as the starter. This year, Thompson. And that's only while we're waiting on Gallup.

Hurns + Williams doesn't look better than last year. Cheaper. But a grim way to start the season.

I'm ready to move on with almost a completed rebuild. On the field, Williams was as much of a problem as anyone. Like you said, I thought Butler did more with fewer snaps.

Off the field, he's been a joke. Not only getting injured to where he misses most, if not all if the new offseason coaching, but his DUI fiasco (what it truly was).

Add in the possibility that keeping him means losing guys like Cedrick Wilson or Noah Brown and I've gone beyond being indifferent to actually not wanting the guy around.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
TWill on ir was my thought as well and if he gets suspended you can almost guarantee one of these new guys is taking that spot
Hurns being injured is interesting, i know if a team traded for someone with injury history they would likely keep a backup plan
the question is during TC and preseason which of these guys will shine and who will disappear / who develops a chemistry with the qb

They will find a way to keep 6 wr's. Pre-season will be interesting to see how/if they use austin and see what some of the young kids can do. People always underrate Twill but forget that it was Twill with the highest catch % last year (for wr's). Coaches tend to go with those they know vs an unknown of similar and sometimes better talent.

DiResta

Reaction score
in a interview last week Oquinn asked who his ST guys were and 1 of them was Noah
keep in mind that with the new kick off rules you can only have 3 guys back and no wedges so that means these 3 guys need to be skill players who can catch and block
just saying...

couple of days ago Sanjay was asked who stood out and he said Noah Brown....

i was watching the interview with David Irving after minicamp ended
in the background while everyone is leaving
you can see Noah running routes for Sanjay....

trifecta? i think so

:muttley:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Terrance Williams - is the incumbent starter, and he hasn't lost his job. He does NOT have a DUI, he has a misdemeanor citation for public intoxication. That's the equivalent of a speeding ticket, and doesn't involve getting a suspension. Did he make a bone-headed mistake? Sure. But fans are over-reacting. He didn't flee the scene of an accident. He went to call a tow-truck, and came back to get the car. In Texas, you are NOT required to call the police for a minor traffic accident. Also, Williams is a lot more valuable as a downfield blocker in the run game than fans realize - and this is a run first team

It is still a violation of law involving alcohol that can lead to a suspension as covered in section 2.2 of the drug policy for substances of abuse. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a 2 game suspension at minimum.

CPanther95

Reaction score
It is still a violation of law involving alcohol that can lead to a suspension as covered in section 2.2 of the drug policy for substances of abuse. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a 2 game suspension at minimum.

The Lambo/light pole investigation is still ongoing and charges haven't been filed yet. They just cleared Kendall Wright, but I'd guess TWill will either get a DUI or the light pole will be charged with obstruction.

>>> and they can label Austin a RB, or anything else, but he'll be being utilized as a receiver by Week 4.