Which was the best era of Cowboys football: the 70s or the 90s?

DallasDomination

Reaction score
It would have to be the 70s and probably not even close.. the 90s you just had 5 years of dominant play then mediocre at best after that. In the 70s the cowboys were relevant for a long stretch of time which is all a fan wants.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I am going to be annoying and say it is a tie. Great eras for different reasons. The 70s Cowboys were a model of professionalism. Always solid. Ahead of their time. A team you could be proud of because they did it the right way. Also very consistent.

The 90s Cowboys were coming off a terrible run. Everyone had doubts Jimmy Johnson's first year. They were bad. Then they had a turnaround for the ages and built one of the greatest teams of all time. That '92-95 squad was as good as any team in history. So dominate. Then of course Jerry had to ruin everything to satisfy his immense ego.
Jerrah had a drinking problem.

Plus he thought he was John Wayne.

Thought he was infallable.

He is more sober now.

The McCarthy hire is proof.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 1970’s would be my choice but my opinion is influenced by observing both eras. The 1990’s were dominant but over a shorter timeframe than the 1970’s, which were broader in context.

I wish all fans would have enjoyed the opportunity of experiencing both eras, not just for Cowboys football but the NFL as a whole. A lot was a lot of similarity between both eras but there were differences also. Both were markedly different eras than what has unfolded the past two decades in my opiniona.

cheyennes

Reaction score
70s simple, finest offense with a nasty defense.
AMD the 60s, we lost some big games
I love the 90s, but only Was for 5 years

joseephuss

Reaction score
It would have to be the 70s and probably not even close.. the 90s you just had 5 years of dominant play then mediocre at best after that. In the 70s the cowboys were relevant for a long stretch of time which is all a fan wants.

I agree. The 70s were basically 2 different eras of football themselves. The early 70s team that won SBVI and the late 70s team that won SBXII were comprised of mostly different players. Only a few(i think 2 of offense and 2 on defense) of guys were starters in both games. Of course one was Roger Staubach. The 70s era team began in the late 60s. Even though they didn't win it all until 1971, they were in the hunt each season for a few years prior to winning it. Same at the end of the 70s era. They were contending into the early 80s.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Have to say 90's since Dallas did not lose any super bowls

Flamma

Reaction score
The Baby Boom generation got to see both the 70s era and the 90s era. The 70s gave us the consistently dominating - but sometimes disappointing - Cowboys that won 2 of 5 Super Bowls and established the great tradition we enjoy today. The 90s gave us the brash and dominating Cowboys who talk trashed and backed in up on the field.

I'm a Gen Xer and got to watch half of the 70s. But keep in mind that era extended to about 1984 where they dropped off. I can't speak for anyone else, but I had about a solid decade of fully expecting the Cowboys to at least go to the SB. From when I was a little kid to my mid to late teens. It was great to watch. The 90s were about half that time. But it couldn't have come a better time. I was in my mid to late 20s so it was all about debauchery. Love that word.

RS12

Reaction score
70s because besides being the original golden era of Cowboys football and the NFL, the Cowboys front office and coaching staff were among if not the best in the NFL. Between 1966 and 1985 they made the playoffs every year. Think about it. That will not happen again in my lifetime.

Plankton

Reaction score
70s because besides being the original golden era of Cowboys football and the NFL, the Cowboys front office and coaching staff were among if not the best in the NFL. Between 1966 and 1985 they made the playoffs every year. Think about it. That will not happen again in my lifetime.

They missed the playoffs in 1974 and 1984, but I understand the larger point.

Gorgon

Reaction score
The Baby Boom generation got to see both the 70s era and the 90s era. The 70s gave us the consistently dominating - but sometimes disappointing - Cowboys that won 2 of 5 Super Bowls and established the great tradition we enjoy today. The 90s gave us the brash and dominating Cowboys who talk trashed and backed in up on the field.

So which era do you think is the best?

With all due respect to Tom Landry, who I respect and had the privilege of interviewing prior to his death, I have to give it to 90s Cowboys.
The 70s teams could pull a victory out of the grips of defeat, but could also lose a winnable game as well.
The 90s teams were simply dominating and feared in a way I don't think the 70s Cowboys were. I never expected them to lose. I always felt they would find a way to win. Too bad the era was short-lived.

What say ye?
By far the 1990s. With the Staubach/Landry teams, and the many heartbreaking defeats hanging around their necks, you always had the sense they were gonna lose, but amazing individual efforts by Lily, Staubach, and others pulled them out.

With the 1990s team, I always knew they were gonna win, and was shocked when they didn't---almost always due to an injury to one of the stars or Emmitt's hold out (Troy with his torn Achilles, etc).

RS12

Reaction score
They missed the playoffs in 1974 and 1984, but I understand the larger point.
Yep it was nice as a fan to have a reasonable expectation every year of being in the playoffs along with a more than competent gm and coach.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I can appreciate the history but since I was born in 70 and didnt become a DC Fan upon moving to TX in 1980, have to go with 90s since it was OUR era..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I lived through the 70s and the 90s with the Cowboys and although the 70s were great with the Cowboys appearing in 5 Super Bowls in 9 years. They unfortunately went 2-3 and the Steelers ended up the team of the 70s. It was a bittersweet decade. There were a lot of highs in the 70s but there were also a number of lows with those 3 SB losses. For me the 90s was the ultimate era for the Cowboys with 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 years including back to back championships in 92 and 93. The 90s teams were everything I wanted the 70s Cowboys to be.

The 90s teams imposed their will on opponents like the 70s Steelers. There was no finesse, multiple shifting or flex defense with our 90s teams. They just lined up and imposed their will. The 90s teams won with physicality led by an over powering OL and a great back. Those teams were only great for 4 years but what an exciting 4 years it was. The Cowboys were the team of the 90s and were the only Cowboys team that ever dominated a decade. How sweet it was!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think for most people who lived in the DFW area, and got to see all the games, the 70's were probably more exciting.
Those of us who only got to see the games when they were shown in our area still loved them, but once the 90's rolled around and almost all the games were available, it became an addiction.
Personally, I have a stronger love for the Aikman led teams, partly because I was able to know them better, and partly because they imposed their will on opponents.

stuckindc

Reaction score
I lived through the 70s and the 90s with the Cowboys and although the 70s were great with the Cowboys appearing in 5 Super Bowls in 9 years. They unfortunately went 2-3 and the Steelers ended up the team of the 70s. It was a bittersweet decade. There were a lot of highs in the 70s but there were also a number of lows with those 3 SB losses. For me the 90s was the ultimate era for the Cowboys with 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 years including back to back championships in 92 and 93. The 90s teams were everything I wanted the 70s Cowboys to be.

The 90s teams imposed their will on opponents like the 70s Steelers. There was no finesse, multiple shifting or flex defense with our 90s teams. They just lined up and imposed their will. The 90s teams won with physicality led by an over powering OL and a great back. Those teams were only great for 4 years but what an exciting 4 years it was. The Cowboys were the team of the 90s and were the only Cowboys team that ever dominated a decade. How sweet it was!

To add on to your post...Beyond the obvious of the Jerry/ Jimmy disaster, The team was ravaged with talent loss via the new FA...The teams of the 70's were able to keep all their talent and not have to worry about FA...Imagine if Dallas could have kept their guys...Harper, Maryland, Stepnoski, Gogan...etc...Those quickly eroded the team...

Flinger

Reaction score
What say ye?

Context is important...

Without zero hesitation - 70's...

Because, the 70's team was at the center of the late 60's and early 80's team. All under Landry. 25 years of winning. Every single year, a chance to go the distance.

90's? 4 and done... All under Johnson.

Now? 25 years of ineptitude... All under Jones.

So sorry for you folks that never have been able to understand the excellence that was the Dallas Cowboys for so long and that has been made a joke by Snake Oil Jones.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
My favorite part of the 70s era was growing up with the great players. The Cowboys raised their own players through the draft and were able to keep their teams together. Those teams had great depth. I can remember back in the early 70s when hardly any player on the team came from a different organization. Preston Pearson was one of the first players the Cowboys brought in who played for another team. With no free agency players stayed on the same team unless they were traded or cut.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I tend to give the Landry era the edge because it lasted for so long and was what put the Cowboys on the map in the first place. Landry & co. also basically invented modern football in a lot of ways; the only coach I'd put ahead of him in that respect is Paul Brown.

Don't sleep on the 1971 team's greatness either, they were #1 in scoring, #1 in point differential, and won by an average of 13 points per game. Different eras and all, but they're right there with the 1992 team IMO.