Who are legitimate contenders in the NFC?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Where the SF love coming from........they have a rookie QB. Don't see them contending this season at all. In fact, I see Card or Seahawks winning the division before the 49ers, easy.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yah, not with you on the "its all about the QB" theory. IF it was, the Cowboys would be all set. Especially being a Cowboys fan the last 15 years you should know better. Cowboys have been loaded at QB with Romo and now Dak for the last 15 years. The reason we havent been better is defense and coaching.
Well I'm definitely with you there.

I'm a huge McVay fan, and that defense reminds me of Jimmy's Cowboys....a couple of studs and the rest is fast and deep and effective.

They could be awesome....best in the NFC....but that's all going to depend on what Stafford brings.

If he isnt an upgrade over Goff they may still win....but likely won't.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Yah, not with you on the "its all about the QB" theory. IF it was, the Cowboys would be all set. Especially being a Cowboys fan the last 15 years you should know better. Cowboys have been loaded at QB with Romo and now Dak for the last 15 years. The reason we havent been better is defense and coaching.
Unfortunately I still think we have poor coaching

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I like the optimism, but I've been fooled for a quarter of a century when it comes to this team.

The offense looks good on paper, but we'll find out real quick if it's for real or not.

Im not an optimistic fan. Never have been. Only when its justified. Offense under Dak looked better than good on the field before he got hurt. #1 offense in NFL history.

Great defenses give offenses trouble, thats why they are great. Is KC not a great offense simply because they could only score 9 points against the Rams in the SB? Defense is big!!

I wouldn't expect the Cowboys to run up and down the field on Tampa. First game of the year with Dak coming off a major injury? It would be great if they did, but I wouldnt expect that.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was talking about this last night with my buddy. There really aren't a lot of great teams in the NFC. Rogers claims he would rather retire or be traded. If Rogers is no longer in the NFC who are contenders in the NFC? This is the list I have:

Tampa
Rams
San Fran
Seattle

THATS IT!! There is nobody else I see as a great team. And Seattle is Seattle. They don't really scare me. If the Cowboys get healthy and the defense is middle of the pack, there is no reason we cant be in the mix with these teams.
It’s really difficult to predict in May which teams are going to be contenders 4-5 months from now. The NFL is a year to year league, with many teams making the playoffs one year, then not making it the next. None of us- no one- knows who the contenders and pretenders are for the upcoming season at this point.

The teams you listed- TB, LARams, SF and Sea are probably going to be contenders. But I’m sure 1 or 2 of them won’t be. And other teams in the NFC we may not think much of now can and will emerge including Dallas. I would add Arizona, WFT, Carolina, and maybe GB, Chi or Minn.

What happened last year is not all that predictive of what’s going to happen this year. If Sam Darnold develops, Carolina will be good. Arizona has quietly put together a salty team that was pretty tough last year. I hate the WFT, but their defensive front line is really good and if Fitzpatrick has any kind of magic left, they could be tough. Injuries are always a wild card too.

All I know is this: There will be surprises.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yah, not with you on the "its all about the QB" theory. IF it was, the Cowboys would be all set. Especially being a Cowboys fan the last 15 years you should know better. Cowboys have been loaded at QB with Romo and now Dak for the last 15 years. The reason we haven't been better is defense and coaching.

Same, if it was all about the QB, Rogers would have more than 1 ring.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Im not an optimistic fan. Never have been. Only when its justified. Offense under Dak looked better than good on the field before he got hurt. #1 offense in NFL history.

Great defenses give offenses trouble, thats why they are great. Is KC not a great offense simply because they could only score 9 points against the Rams in the SB? Defense is big!!

I wouldn't expect the Cowboys to run up and down the field on Tampa. First game of the year with Dak coming off a major injury? It would be great if they did, but I wouldnt expect that.
I'm guessing you and @Rockport aren't drinkin buddies.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Assuming ARod plays....imo

TB
GB
LAR
--------
SF
SEA
---------------
then in any order, you choose....
AZ, NO, DAL, WAS, MN
Looking at the schedules, just on the surface, GB and LAR have tough sledding ahead of them this year.

I mean, the Rams, 49ers, Seahawks, and Cards are all in the same division---which is insane.
You can be a power team and still go 3-3 in that division......no NYG or PHI to roll over twice.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well I'm definitely with you there.

I'm a huge McVay fan, and that defense reminds me of Jimmy's Cowboys....a couple of studs and the rest is fast and deep and effective.

They could be awesome....best in the NFC....but that's all going to depend on what Stafford brings.

If he isnt an upgrade over Goff they may still win....but likely won't.

Stafford is a definite upgrade over Goff. McVay is sure of it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Same, if it was all about the QB, Rogers would have more than 1 ring.

And we can see how fragile the QB position is with players around the QB. Mahomes loses two starting Olineman and all of a sudden the offense with Mahomes sputters.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

The offense under Dak never did anything until the middle of the 3rd quarter and after our opponents started playing us soft on defense because they had such a big lead. The offense under Dak has to move the ball in the first half of games too, because that will help the defense stay off the field. All those 3 and outs for 2 1/2 quarters last year didn't help the defense at all.

I keep bringing up 2019 because we had the #1 offense that year. We still lost games where our defense held teams to low scores like 12, 13, and 17 points. I can't shake that because for as good as the offense can look against terrible defenses, it can look equally as bad against basically every decent defense we play against. We are shut down WAY to easy on offense.

Until proven otherwise I still think we got 7-10 or 8-9. I really, really hope I am wrong about that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I find myself having the biggest issues with overzealous homers and haters. Truth is usually right in between the two.

Dak isnt elite, Dak isnt average, Dak is top 7 ect......ect......
Lol nice.

I'm with you on the Rams being legit....even if I'm right Stafford should provide at least what Goff did.

SF has a ton of talent as well.

In fact Arizona is putting together a nice roster but I'm not sure that QB/system is the answer.

Interesting thought....the worst overall roster is that division is arguably Seattle....but they are in the conversation as a contender because of the QB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The offense under Dak never did anything until the middle of the 3rd quarter and after our opponents started playing us soft on defense because they had such a big lead. The offense under Dak has to move the ball in the first half of games too, because that will help the defense stay off the field. All those 3 and outs for 2 1/2 quarters last year didn't help the defense at all.

I keep bringing up 2019 because we had the #1 offense that year. We still lost games where our defense held teams to low scores like 12, 13, and 17 points. I can't shake that because for as good as the offense can look against terrible defenses, it can look equally as bad against basically every decent defense we play against. We are shut down WAY to easy on offense.

Until proven otherwise I still think we got 7-10 or 8-9. I really, really hope I am wrong about that.
You cherry picking a couple games again huh. Haters hate. It's what you do.

DFWJC

Reaction score
and the easiest schedule in the league.
I think their schedule is considered 19th toughest and Dallas' is considered 31st toughest (or 2nd easiest)

I mean, just for starters, the 49ers have the Rams, Seahawks, and Cards in their own division. That's 6 tough ones right from the start.

The Packers, Ravens, Bears, Steelers, and others.....now those are tough scedules.....on paper.