Who Are These SNL Guests?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Am I the only one who has no idea who most of the Saturday Night Live hosts are anymore?

And forget about the musical guests! Most of the ones I've seen the past couple of years take themselves so seriously, but I couldn't see them filling a pub. The weird thing is that the audience cheers every "artist" like they're Led Zeppelin.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has no idea who most of the Saturday Night Live hosts are anymore?

And forget about the musical guests! Most of the ones I've seen the past couple of years take themselves so seriously, but I couldn't see them filling a pub. The weird thing is that the audience cheers every "artist" like they're Led Zeppelin.

I'm with you there. But I'm one of those people who feel most everything was better in the 60's and 70's...especially TV and Music.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
SNL hasn't been good for 20 years........:thumbdown:
The cast has definitely been lacking. In fact, there's one cast member (Kyle Mooney) who's so unfunny and annoying, I might him punch in the face if I ever meet him.

That said, there are still some pretty funny skits on occasion, by Kate McKinnon and Kenan Thompson, and the Weekend Update is usually pretty good. I miss Kristen Wiig though. She was hilarious.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Who Are These SNL Guests?
Alternative thread title: Have I Officially Become Old?

I know I'm getting older, because I myself don't recognizing most of the Saturday Night Live! musical guests. However, I still recognize almost all of the SNL hosts.

John Mulaney was the host last night. He's a former SNL writer and previously hosted last year. He and SNL alum Bill Hader co-created the recurring Weekend Update character Stefon.

Last edited:

DanteEXT

Reaction score

I know I'm getting older, because I myself don't recognizing most of the Saturday Night Live! musical guests. However, I still recognize almost all of the SNL hosts.

John Mulaney was the host last night. He's a former SNL writer and previously hosted last year. He and SNL alum Bill Hader co-created the recurring Weekend Update character Stefon.

I'm there with you on the hosts. Not an avid watcher of SNL but I do know who they are when I do.

I do wonder how many audience members know the musical guests. I always figured there was a sign that lights up and says applause or something.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I recognized Mulaney, but only because he hosted last year. But when the host is someone like the guy who played Hamilton or some British actress from a show I've never even heard of, I start feeling like they're missing their target audience.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will occasionally watch an SNL skit on youtube, but I haven't watched the SNL show in well over 10 years.

It really hasn't been funny to me in a very long time, but I blame the writing more than the acting.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put me in the minority, I watch it every week and know at least who the hosts and musical guests are but seldom care for the music and fast forward through it. Most are lame and not my musical tastes and I hate anything borderline rap or hiphop. And I am pop culture challenged. I see these articles on Google News about people that I am oblivious to and do not at all miss being out of that loop.

Kate and Keenan will make me laugh at least once in every show and she's a master at the impersonations. The Weekend Update has always made me laugh but then again I don't get politically insulted like too many do these days. And the election was the best thing to happen to SNL in a long time, they were reborn. But, I get it if people don't want to be made fun of and take themselves and that so seriously, to each their own.

The writing has been hit and miss from the inception. What made those skits, to me, were the characters creating them like Belushi, Ackroyd, Gilda, Chase, Murray, Ferrell and Farley. Kate and Keenan have those qualities but they're the only two out of this present cast.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Not liking or missing SNL is one of the few advantages of getting old that I'm aware of...... "So I got that goin' for me... which is nice"

EZsTNSf.jpg

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It is funny you make this thread!! I was watching the movie A Star is Born this weekend (it was alright) and there is a part where she is doing an SNL music appearance. I turned to the wife and mentioned how I haven't watched an SNL in ages!! I couldn't even tell you who is on there anymore.

I thought it was great in the 90s! Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, etc. etc. Then it hung strong for a bit into the 2000s and it kind of fell off a cliff for me around 2010 or so. Not that I watched it religiously but I would catch it from time to time.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I rewatched the Christopher Walken,blue oyster cult, more cowbell, skit on YouTube just yesterday & sometimes get sidetracked into watching Will Ferrell hosting jeopardy, but,man! I don't even know who those people are that you "like/ miss" on the show,running brother,,, I've tried to watch it 3 or 4 times in the last 15 years or so, the last episode I can honestly recall watching in it's entirety was when they had Sarah Palin ono_O

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I rewatched the Christopher Walken,blue oyster cult, more cowbell, skit on YouTube just yesterday & sometimes get sidetracked into watching Will Ferrell hosting jeopardy, but,man! I don't even know who those people are that you "like/ miss" on the show,running brother,,, I've tried to watch it 3 or 4 times in the last 15 years or so, the last episode I can honestly recall watching in it's entirety was when they had Sarah Palin ono_O
I always look forward to Weekend Update, because there are usually some good jokes in there. Kristen Wiig was just hilarious and innovative. She's the main character in Bridesmaids, if you've ever seen that. Also, she was the costar of the Ghostbusters reboot. (Though that's certainly not her best work.)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is funny you make this thread!! I was watching the movie A Star is Born this weekend (it was alright) and there is a part where she is doing an SNL music appearance. I turned to the wife and mentioned how I haven't watched an SNL in ages!! I couldn't even tell you who is on there anymore.

I thought it was great in the 90s! Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, etc. etc. Then it hung strong for a bit into the 2000s and it kind of fell off a cliff for me around 2010 or so. Not that I watched it religiously but I would catch it from time to time.
They seem to be at a transition point now, where some of the lesser known cast members are getting their chance to move up the ranks, and a couple of them are already outshining the current "stars". Hopefully, next season will push a few of the lamer people out the door and bring in fresher talent.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Stuff they wouldn't dream of, much less air today:

Plus the Stevie Wonder "Kannon" commerical:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/kannon-camera/n9098

I'd be willing to bet this is the very skit that made SNL big enough, and edgy enough to last as long as it has.
:lmao: my all time favorite/ hands down was when John Belushi's trying to be all low key&on the sly, but he's all nervous & twitchy pushing blowholes for sell:lmao2:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will occasionally watch an SNL skit on youtube, but I haven't watched the SNL show in well over 10 years.

It really hasn't been funny to me in a very long time, but I blame the writing more than the acting.

Watch them on YouTube as well. Normally the better skits or cold opens will be uploaded while the lesser skits are not. So basically with you tube you find the... Best of.

Oh and if you look up and watch SNL Kate McKinnon close encounter skits and don't laugh... Better check your pulse.