Who Do You Take? Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
realtick;3703162 said:
Tell me, when Austin was having his struggles this season, was it due to him not getting good separation?

When has he really struggled this year?

He's statistically better than CJ now. He even had a 100 yard receiving game with Kitna.

Separation is a HUGE part of being a WR. And I'd rather have a WR that is better at consistently getting separation. There's other factors as well. Like Miles catch 63% of the passes thrown his way compared to CJ's 56% and Dez's 68%.

YR

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3703258 said:

He's statistically better than CJ now. He even had a 100 yard receiving game with Kitna.

Separation is a HUGE part of being a WR. And I'd rather have a WR that is better at consistently getting separation. There's other factors as well. Like Miles catch 63% of the passes thrown his way compared to CJ's 56% and Dez's 68%.

YR

You ask "when has he really struggled this year?"

Oh, I don't know, how about Week 3 (2 rec. 20 yards), Week 6 (2 rec. 12 yards), Week 7 (3 rec. 38 yards) or Week 9 (2 rec. 16 yards)?

I'm guessing you'll have a wonderful explaination for all that though?

Criticizing seperation is ridiculous when the player is still producing numbers.

That's like criticizing a guy who just bagged a supermodel by saying you didn't like the way he spit his game to her at the club.

BTW, if you did watch Johnson since his Freshman year, can you name his starting QB in college?

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3703098 said:
And Kitna is better?

I think CJ is a good player but I've watched him since he was a freshman in college. He has games where he struggles to separate and doesn't make tough catches.

When all is said and done, the guy is a realy good WR, but if I have to choose one right now, I'd take Dez. He catches just about everything and gets separation. And Miles is great at getting separation and is tough to bring down when he catches the ball.

YR

I have watched from about year two in college. ANd lot in NFL. So don't give me that nonsense. Every WR occasionally will have tough time seperating, so what?

In College or NFL, he hasn't had a Good QB throwing to him consistently. Stafford is going to be that one, if he can ever stay healthy.

Its laughable to even claim that Dez is already better than Calvin. And on top of it to say Miles is better than Calvin Johnson is rediculous and idiotic.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;3703204 said:
Let me ask this...

Do you think Dez could potentially be better than Calvin?
He's already better. In two years, this topic will be laughable.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
realtick;3703281 said:

Oh, I don't know, how about Week 3 (2 rec. 20 yards), Week 6 (2 rec. 12 yards), Week 7 (3 rec. 38 yards) or Week 9 (2 rec. 16 yards)?

Criticizing seperation is ridiculous when the player is still producing numbers.

That's like criticizing a guy who just bagged a supermodel by saying you didn't like the way he spit his game to her at the club.

BTW, if you did watch Johnson since his Freshman year, can you name his starting QB in college?

A receiver isn't going to have huge games every single week. Miles' stats are better than CJ's are now. More yards, more ypc, and a higher catch rate.

The question was what WR would you want right now and I gave the reason. It's not like there's much difference in stats between CJ and Dez either. And Dez can do punt returns (2 TD's in punt returns so far).

And CJ's QB in college was Reggie Ball, from Stone Mountain.

Separation is key to being a WR in the NFL game, if you can't figure that out then you really don't understand the WR position in the NFL.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;3703291 said:
I have watched from about year two in college. ANd lot in NFL. So don't give me that nonsense. Every WR occasionally will have tough time seperating, so what?

In College or NFL, he hasn't had a Good QB throwing to him consistently. Stafford is going to be that one, if he can ever stay healthy.

Its laughable to even claim that Dez is already better than Calvin. And on top of it to say Miles is better than Calvin Johnson is rediculous and idiotic.

Look at the stats the '09 and this season. Miles is FAR better statistically. It's not even close.

It's ridiculous and idiotic to ignore those so they fit your argument.

YR

Everson24

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;3702773 said:
None of those WR's produced right away like Dez has. The one thing about Dez to keep in mind is that he really only played 1 full year of college football. The sky is truly the limit for him.

Good point Prime

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3703365 said:
A receiver isn't going to have huge games every single week. Miles' stats are better than CJ's are now. More yards, more ypc, and a higher catch rate.

The question was what WR would you want right now and I gave the reason. It's not like there's much difference in stats between CJ and Dez either. And Dez can do punt returns (2 TD's in punt returns so far).

And CJ's QB in college was Reggie Ball, from Stone Mountain.

Separation is key to being a WR in the NFL game, if you can't figure that out then you really don't understand the WR position in the NFL.

YR

"A receiver isn't going to have huge every single week."

Ah yes, beautiful way of dodging your obvious foot-in-mouth. I'm sorry, I thought you were saying Miles hasn't really struggled at all this season?

Gimmie a break.

'The question was what WR would you want right now."

No, let me help you since I started the thread. I didn't ask you who was having the better season or who has the best stats, nor did I ask what WR would you want right now. I asked what receiver would you take to be your team's no. 1, Dez or Calvin. You answered back with Dez (which is fine), but you went further to say on your own that you would take Miles over Calvin, which is fine also (that's you opinion). I'm just commenting on basis of how you came to that conclusion/opinion is bunk and ridiculous.

Yes, thank you for stating an obvious truism concerning the WR position; seperation is important. So is route running, a good release at the line, ball skills, et cetera.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3703371 said:
Look at the stats the '09 and this season. Miles is FAR better statistically. It's not even close.

YR

No, what's "ridiculous and idiotic" is ignoring the fact that Calvin Johnson had a rookie QB throwing to him behind a piss-poor offensive line with subpar players surrounding him. In comparison Romo is in the prime of his career with better all around surrounding talent.

If you don't think that makes a difference send me a private message and I'll begin to teach you the game of football.

Reaction score
like theo said in two years, everybody will look back at this thread and have violent hysterics.

Dez is not human.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3703371 said:

YR

Talk about Pot calling the Kettle Black. Who was the QB for Calvin? WHo had a better team and surrounding cast like OL, RBs, QB? You kidding me? Stats are for losers. Miles had better season obviously because he had better team etc. Heck he had better season than most other WRs in NFL last year. So he is like top 3 WR? That is laughable.

Your favorite past time is Stats, I understand, which is useless, unless other factors are considered. LIke the saying, They are Lies and then there are stats. YOu can freaking Fit stats to your agenda.

Talk to any NFL expert and ask them who do they rather have? Miles or Calvin, and they will laugh you out of the park if you say Miles. Beyond that, your argument is rediculous.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3703258 said:

YR

Although Miles and Dez's percentages are higher, this stat may be a little misleading considering that Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton have thrown him so many passes that aren't catchable. But the thing to me in this argument between Miles and CJ is this. They are 2 completely different WR's in my eyes. Miles creates more separation but CJ doesn't need as much because of his ability to catch passes at the highest point with his great size and leaping ability.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
my god, are we really arguing the grass is ALWAYS Greener on the other side?

Let me sum up "IM NEVER HAPPY WTH MY TEAM UNLESS THEY ARE THE BEST AT EVERY POSITION AND WE ALWAYS DRAFT LOSERS"

There ya go for the OP and anyone whos not happy or thinks every other WR is better than ours.

Reaction score
realtick;3703281 said:

Calvin Johnson has struggled to the tune of games of 4 for 45, 4 for 50, 4 for 54, and 1 for 13.

Oh wait, he's not actually struggling, it's just that receivers don't have 100 yard games every single week. Even the best ones.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
zrinkill;3702701 said:
Dez ..... and yes I am biased.

Finally admit it.lol Good, but anyway Calvin showed me alot in the Commander game. I didn't think he could "mix it up" with a defense but he did make alot of tough catches. I would take Dez because Calvin is always getting hurt during games. They are both pretty equal.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3703460 said:
Calvin Johnson has struggled to the tune of games of 4 for 45, 4 for 50, 4 for 54, and 1 for 13.

Oh wait, he's not actually struggling, it's just that receivers don't have 100 yard games every single week. Even the best ones.

Dear Cowboy homer,

Thanks for your reply. I have to ask though, what's your point? It was your fellow homer (YR) that claimed Miles "really hasn't struggled this year."

I appreciate the strawman that you propped up though, you know, insinuating that I think WRs should have "100 yard games every single week."

Nope, I would say when your No. 1 receiver (Miles Austin) puts up weeks of 2 for 20, 2 for 12, 3 for 38 and 2 for 16, and not to mention not scoring in any of those games, that's struggling.

See, I believe good players can struggle, the great ones just do it less frequently than others.

BTW, that 1 rec. for 13 yards was certainly a poor game for Calvin Johnson. In all fairness though, it's tough when your starting QB gets knocked out and you have Drew Stanton throwing against Derelle Revis. Oh, and in two of those games you mentioned Johnson scored.

Sincerely,
A sane, rational, reasonable board member and football fan.

CarlAllDay

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;3702696 said:
49 Catches 679 Yards and 9 TD's through 9 games for Calvin Johnson. He is doubled team'ed on every play and he is consistanly playing with 2nd and 3rd string QB's. I just think to say CJ is over-rated is a little bit of a stretch.

not a stretch thats just stupid!...this guy is amazing and he has no help!!...CJ would be battling with andre for top dog...especially if he played with a real qb!!!....this guy is an animal......I love dez but like someone said earlier ...CJ has shown more.....only wr's im taking over dez right now is andre,cj, and maybe brandon marshall(minus the headaches)...those 3 are the only wr's that i believe that has as much talent as dez...others are good but doesn't have it all like these 4...size, speed, and being able to go get it like these 4.....dez right now is a beast and eventually will definately be top 3 in the league...we cant go wrong with any of these guys...but we cant take nothing from CJ at all...just imagine if he was here with miles, roy, and witten...he'd really be unbelievable

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Right now?

Wow...it's close, but I thnk I'd take Megatron. I mean, I think Dez has the potential to be just as good, but look at what Johnson does every week. Stats up the ying yang yet he's their only real receiving threat with Shaun Hill throwing him the ball pretty much all season.

Johnson is as blue chip as they come in this league.