Who gets cut tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Something just doesn't quite add up with his situation, does it? But, for argument's sake...
He balled out because:
1. Prior to camp, he wanted to be traded and needed to draw trade interest.
2. During camp, he thought he could earn a starting spot. Didn't get it, so now he wants a trade.

In August, didn't he say his agent has him thinking about his future?
I remember hearing something about his agent making a statement that made me think he probably would get traded but I would have never thought we would end up cutting him

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember hearing something about his agent making a statement that made me think he probably would get traded but I would have never thought we would end up cutting him
Being cut seems to offer him the luxury of accepting street free agent prove-it deals. And, he still gets paid by Dallas for the remaining guaranteed portion of his contract, right?

John813

Reaction score
Being cut seems to offer him the luxury of accepting street free agent prove-it deals. And, he still gets paid by Dallas for the remaining guaranteed portion of his contract, right?

What was guaranteed in his contract was his SB(5.4mil) and his 2018 and 2019 salaries.

Edit: Of course spotrac and OTC have different values for what was truly guaranteed...
So, tbd.

So, they will be on the hook for 2019. But 2020 he isn't actually owed anything.
Not sure how the cap hit will look like, maybe the prorated SB for 2020 will be the dead cap hit?

Not often we talk about cutting first round picks and the cap implications.

Verdict

Reaction score
Actually when I said that I had in mind that his 2020 salary was guaranteed.

Looking it up, it appears that only 2019 is guaranteed and 1.4M is his salary for 2019 of which 3/17ths has already been paid.

Also, even with a guaranteed salary, there may be an offset if he signs with another team which would reduce it by about 500K.

I thought some team would take him for a conditional 7th which would get his remaining salary for the season off the Cowboys books.

Something is odd is no team offered a conditional 7th. A conditional pick makes it a free look at the player. His agent must have something to do with this issue similar to when La'el's agent told teams not to draft him.

I am looking forward to hearing why they cut bait with Taco. It should be interesting.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Kellen seems to favor the 11 personnel (3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 RB) even more heavily than what Linehan relied upon. (and he's designing and producing far better results)

plus we don't have defined blockers on the edge as we used to with the likes of James Hanna/Geoff Swaim (nor at lead FB as well)
and I tend to wonder if that has had some lesser affects in run game which means lesser breakaway runs from zeke.

but although Schultz isn't getting on the field because of witten/jarwin getting the 11 and 12 personnel, why even expose ourselves to having an emergency TE injury crisis situation
and being forced to go with Olawele at TE ? (who already doesn't block well at FB)
2 WASTED positions on this team to me are:
1) Full back. For what this position does, it seems to me to be a waste.
2) Long SNapper. It absolutely baffles me to think that we need 1 spot on the 53 man roster for a guy who all he does is bend over and hike the dam ball between his legs to the punter. It freaking amazes me. I bet half of the current linemen could do this. Yet for some bizarre reason Laoedecuer or however you spell it has a guaranteed position year after year after year hahahahahahaha. Yet we will let a guy go who is actually good at DL or DE or DB who actually contributes to the team in favor of the dang long snapper. Wow.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
That's likely bs. We'd be able to suspend him and go after his guaranteed money if that was the case.
2 WASTED positions on this team to me are:
1) Full back. For what this position does, it seems to me to be a waste.
2) Long SNapper. It absolutely baffles me to think that we need 1 spot on the 53 man roster for a guy who all he does is bend over and hike the dam ball between his legs to the punter. It freaking amazes me. I bet half of the current linemen could do this. Yet for some bizarre reason Laoedecuer or however you spell it has a guaranteed position year after year after year hahahahahahaha. Yet we will let a guy go who is actually good at DL or DE or DB who actually contributes to the team in favor of the dang long snapper. Wow.
i remember when we tried to save $ on a long snapper

Status
Not open for further replies.