Who has the best prospect rankings?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I've looked at multiple top 100 lists and there seems to be quite a bit of variation among them. Is there any list out there that any of you believe to be more accurate than others?

ultron

Reaction score
I know one thing, no one expected CeeDee Lamb to be on the board at pick 17 last year but even if Sunshine is there at pick 10 - they better take Surtain or Farley if one of them is on the board.

Hardline

Reaction score
I know one thing, no one expected CeeDee Lamb to be on the board at pick 17 last year but even if Sunshine is there at pick 10 - they better take Surtain or Farley if one of them is on the board.
Who's Sunshine?

38 Special

Reaction score
I've looked at multiple top 100 lists and there seems to be quite a bit of variation among them. Is there any list out there that any of you believe to be more accurate than others?

It’s a little early, no one has good rankings that I’m aware of just yet. Typically, you’ll see those lists start to converge once the teams let a little slip regarding how they are grading players. Until then, that variability is a good example of why the draft websites really don’t know what they are talking about.

Call me cynical, but it’s times like this that show what Mel Kiper is all about. He’s busy moving prospects up and down his rankings so that he can say after the draft “I had this kid ranked as the #20 prospect all the way back in February” when he gets drafted at #15. Never mind the fact that the same prospect will be moved down and then back up since that point.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not Surtain. He is too slow. Diggs is slow enough. We don't need both of our CBs to be slow. Farley should be the one. If Farley is gone, trade down, get an extra 2nd and use it to draft another speedster at CB like Eric Stokes.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It’s a little early, no one has good rankings that I’m aware of just yet. Typically, you’ll see those lists start to converge once the teams let a little slip regarding how they are grading players. Until then, that variability is a good example of why the draft websites really don’t know what they are talking about.

Call me cynical, but it’s times like this that show what Mel Kiper is all about. He’s busy moving prospects up and down his rankings so that he can say after the draft “I had this kid ranked as the #20 prospect all the way back in February” when he gets drafted at #15. Never mind the fact that the same prospect will be moved down and then back up since that point.

You are likely right. I know pro days will change some around. I'm a believer, though in judging the talent more for how they play than for how they run a 40, etc. As many draft followers as we have on here, I thought someone might know of a site or draft "expert" who seems to get it fairly right as far as figuring out value.

timb2

Reaction score
I like Great Blue North Draft Report's Big Board

morasp

Reaction score
I think most of them will change quite a bit for the next month or so.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There isn't one better than the other and anyone who says otherwise is pretty much a liar. The only important thing is when they were updated.

Having said that, I generally like Brugler the most.

Carson

Reaction score
There isn't one better than the other and anyone who says otherwise is pretty much a liar. The only important thing is when they were updated.

Having said that, I generally like Brugler the most.

Brugler is my go to as well. He digs deep to find prospects you didn’t know much about and makes you want to draft them. He doesn’t always stick to the main guys

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kipers and Bruglers tend to be the most highly regarded. I prefer Brugler myself

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

See Davion Nixon

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I always follow Dane Brugler and Matt Miller's rankings because they are their own and they explain them.

Matt being signed recently by ESPN is a great move for that network.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not Surtain. He is too slow. Diggs is slow enough. We don't need both of our CBs to be slow. Farley should be the one. If Farley is gone, trade down, get an extra 2nd and use it to draft another speedster at CB like Eric Stokes.
Diggs is faster than Jalen Ramsey.
He ran a 4.43 at his Pro Day.
Dallas fastest CB is Anthony Brown. He ran a 4.38

Drafting CB base off speed is a surefire way to miss.
It's technique and strength.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Diggs is faster than Jalen Ramsey.
He ran a 4.43 at his Pro Day.
Dallas fastest CB is Anthony Brown. He ran a 4.38

Drafting CB base off speed is a surefire way to miss.
It's technique and strength.
Do some homework, Coach.

Before opting out of the 2020 season, Caleb Farley allowed 1 or 0 catches in seven of his 11 starts in 2019 while intercepting four passes and breaking up nine en route to a 26.8 passer rating allowed and 90.5 coverage grade, mostly against big school colleges where they pass a lot. Plus, Farley's 4.33 40 speed, quickness and superb athleticism allow him to be able to cover any WR.

Even if burned by a step, two or three, Farley has shown he can catch up and still make a play on the ball. Patrick Surtain, II can not.

Surtain tries his hardest to play close, man-to-man at the line of scrimmage, and get his hands on WRs within those first 5 yards in order to throw a WR's timing off and give Surtain that extra second to be able to slow you down and stick with you. If Surtain fails to get his hands on you early, it's lights out because that's when he struggles due to lack of top speed and can get beat in coverage.

Here. Voch Lombardi explains it well...

This is a key reason why I hope the Cowboys pick Farley over Surtain if both are available come the 10th pick.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Just look at timb2’s board. He is just as good as any talking head in my opinion. The guy gets it and does his homework. Best of all he posts on Cowboys Zone.