Who is more important to keep: Byron or Quinn?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It would behoove the Cowboys to keep both, although only one will likely remain with the team. I think Jones can be replaced with a quality CB like CJ Henderson in round one. Drafting a DE would likely cause a waiting period for a year or two to offer the pass rush that Quinn has to offer. Replacing him equally with a vet FA would likely entail an expense that the Cowboys could ill afford. Aside from that, Jerry has already stated he wants to keep Quinn.

ehwqkbmg

Reaction score
He’s beyond horrible against the run, he’s 265lbs and gets dominated against the run and decent LT’s. He took 650ish snaps last year and put pressure on the QB roughly 50 times AND WAS NEVER DOUBLE TEAMED. So in 600 other plays he was as useless as you and I sitting on our couch. The guy is horrendous and if I’m the Cowboys I couldn’t get him out of here fast enough. Anyone that would take this guy over a pro-bowl level #1 CB needs to turn in their keyboard and exit stage left. This guy literally costed us a playoff birth last year - go watch film on All22. Absolute dog crap.
What!?

cavemanct

Reaction score
I'd say Quinn and it's not even close in my mind. He made way more of an impact than anybody had foreseen.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones. Quinn was a nice surprise. But Quinn will be more affordable.
While that is true, I don't care about the damned money, tired of spending time on the money. Jones is the better player at his position and plays the run better than Quinn does. If Quinn gad been a more complete DE, MIA wouldn't have traded him away.

They could get Gregory and Irving back and could let Quinn walk and pick up some beef for the middle in the draft.

I would vote for Jones vs Cooper as well. Any team willing to pay a WR 18M better get a full time one and he's never been that in his career.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Quinn - although we did draft Jones and I like seeing us resign our own players when we get it right in the draft

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Gee I missed where it was announced that Gregory was resigned or for that matter reinstated. Ya ya if the new CBA is ratified it will open the door for him to get reinstated but that by no means it's a certainty that the Cowboys resign him. Most talking heads say it's a very long shot that it happens.
Cowboys do not have to re-sign him, he’s already under contract.

glimmerman

Reaction score
While that is true, I don't care about the damned money, tired of spending time on the money. Jones is the better player at his position and plays the run better than Quinn does. If Quinn gad been a more complete DE, MIA wouldn't have traded him away.

They could get Gregory and Irving back and could let Quinn walk and pick up some beef for the middle in the draft.

I would vote for Jones vs Cooper as well. Any team willing to pay a WR 18M better get a full time one and he's never been that in his career.
Give me Jones and Cooper and Dak. Draft or FA beef in the middle. If we get Gregory and Irvin back and it beats Quinn. I have my reservations about Irvin still being trouble. But anyways. I am looking at not getting the Gregory and Irvin back.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When is Randy G. coming back?
According to this site, he's already filed to be re-instated, guess he's getting ahead of the CBA signing?

Irving made some comments when he was suspended that are a little more troubling making me doubt his real desire to play, he could just be looking for a paycheck. I always wondered about him because at his size, he was a force but only seemed to be when he was in the mood. 6'7", close to 300 is a handful but he had quickness to be that big.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Quinn, Makes plays. And although it seems like he's been around forever, is only 29.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Quinn, because he would be the considerably cheaper option. He was productive, led the team in sacks despite missing two games, and always seemed to be around the QB.

He also likes Dallas, is at an age that would command a cheaper contract, and likes playing with D Law a lot. Despite his history at UNC, he appears to have a good head on his shoulders now as well, which is a rarity on our DL these days.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You can replace a Quinn easier than you can replace a Byron.

Bryon. The fact people still think Quinn is valuable tells me about this boards knowledge of the game.

SSoup

Reaction score
In general, I'd take a good pass-rusher over a good coverage player any day of the week. Because a bad corner behind a d-line providing a good pass-rush still has a fighting chance. A good corner behind a bad pass-rush is going to get picked apart even by bad QBs and mediocre receivers.

Plus, in this instance, I don't know how much I trust Byron to thrive and be valuable now that the coach who led to his position switch and success, Kris Richard, is gone. For all I know, he turns back into a pumpkin in 2020 and we immediately regret ponying up to keep him. We lost the defensive coaches who presumably liked and championed Quinn, too, but he's had success apart from them, so he seems a safer bet to maintain his value this year with the defensive changes.

And on top of all that, I'm assuming the talk about improving our defense's turnover game is for real. If it is for real, keeping a strong pass-rusher makes sense because lots of turnovers come from QBs who are making bad decisions under duress. If we re-sign a guy who has shown zero knack for--or interest in--forcing turnovers, it will feel to me like the talk about addressing the takeaway situation was just empty talk.

But who knows. Maybe with the new relaxed drug policies, Randy Gregory comes back and gives us 7 sacks and maybe David Irving signs to come back and gives us another 7 sacks. And Lawrence rebounds after his awful season and becomes the double-digit sack guy he has to be to justify his contract. And maybe Dorance Armstrong progresses too and gives us a rotational piece who gets a handful of added sacks. Maybe our pass-rush is just fine in 2020 without Quinn. I guess anything is possible.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Quinn played like an average DE the 4 prior years and didn't look worthy of another big contract until last season. So I do think his contract carries risk based on age and lack of consistency the prior years. I would prefer a short term deal 2 to 3 years at most. Also if Gregory is available and can't be suspended for weed that may play into it. Byron Jones we know is a good cover corner, but to pay top dollar for a player that doesn't generate turnovers seems like a risky proposition too.

All comes down to dollars if Quinn ends up being 4 to 5 million less per year with a fraction of the guaranteed money I may go there. But if contract terms are higher I may bring back neither or lean towards Jones.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
High dollar in the defensive backfield who creates no turnovers, makes me have nightmares of Brandon Carr all over. Swear I think his last interception came against Big Ben in Dallas for a TD.