Who is most under appreciated player in Cowboys history

Diehardblues

Reaction score
According to one Cowboys FB I follow it was this guy.

“Is Tony Romo the most underappreciated player in Cowboys history? Romo was heavily scrutinized by the media considering he leads the franchise with career passing yards, 34,183, career touchdowns, 248, and second with a passer rating of 97.1. Romo also had 24 fourth-quarter comebacks…”

Others could be Danny White who led Cowboys to 3 straight championship losses and held most of the Cowboys passing records until Romo .

Meredith might be on the list as well after losing 2 straight NFL title games and ended up retiring early due to fan ridicule along with battered body. Regardless being in ROH.

The media and some Cowboy fans aren’t too kind to some of their prolific QB’s who don’t win championships.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

“Is Tony Romo the most underappreciated player in Cowboys history? Romo was heavily scrutinized by the media considering he leads the franchise with career passing yards, 34,183, career touchdowns, 248, and second with a passer rating of 97.1. Romo also had 24 fourth-quarter comebacks…”

Others could be Danny White who led Cowboys to 3 straight championship losses and held most of the Cowboys passing records until Romo .

Meredith might be on the list as well after losing 2 straight NFL title games and ended up retiring early due to fan ridicule along with battered body. Regardless being in ROH.

The media and some Cowboy fans aren’t too kind to some of their prolific QB’s who don’t win championships.

Lately its Aikman. The Dakistans are going out of their way in an attempt to discredit the 90 championship teams while trying to make their hero look better.

Carson

Reaction score
For me … Harvey Martin, Chuck Howley, Everson Walls and Darren Woodson would be up there for me and could all be debated. I believe Romo is number one.

Another one I am not sure is under appreciated but not talked about as much as he should. Mark Tuinei. 15 year career, 3 time champion. Only made two pro bowls

fredp22

Reaction score
Romo had a tendency to fold under pressure-the bigger the game, the bigger the chance of a lose as proven by his playoff record and the 3 straight "just win the last game" losses. How was he underappreciated?
Meredith and White were appreciated during their time. They're becoming forgotten over time because they didnt win anything big. I was a huge fan of Meredith but never forgave him for walking away. White got burned by "the catch" but he was appreciated when he played.

for underappreciated I would go more toward Bob Hayes, Chuch Howley, Cornell Green types. Consistent all stars that we took for granted and were ignored by the NFL after they retired

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Lately its Aikman. The Dakistans are going out of their way in an attempt to discredit the 90 championship teams while trying to make their hero look better.
How is anyone discredited the 90’s teams? Some have discredited Aikman by saying how great those teams were as a whole.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How is Troy Aikman not appreciated? He won 3 SBs, made 6 Pro Bowls, was a 1st Team All Pro and even was a SB winning MVP. Everyone appreciates Troy. I'm amazed you didn't mention your hero, Romo.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
It would have to be an old time player ........ any modern day player makes WAAAAAYYYY to much money to ever be considered underappreciated.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Synonyms & Antonyms of underappreciated
: not appreciated or valued enough
  • Her work is underappreciated by the critics.
  • an underappreciated talent
Synonyms & Near Synonyms for underappreciated
uncredited, underrated, undervalued, unnoticed, unrecognized, unrewarded, unsung, unvalued

link

In my opinion, an argument over who is most "underappreciated" begins and ends with offensive and defensive linemen. They do the grunt work game-in and game-out. Opening holes for running backs, who are recognized for how many yards they gained and rushing touchdowns. Giving the quarterback time to throw and receivers to run their routes. Contain backs and stifling the opponent's run game. Pressuring and putting the other teams' passer on the ground.

@Carson mentioned my choice already: Mark Tuinei. Guy played hurt much of his career, usually from knee injuries (anyone who has ever played lineman understands that significance), and not only performed well but excelled. Quietly. Without much fanfare. And teammates like Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith highly benefited him anchoring left tackle.

Just my two cents. I will check the thread later for more page birthing, quarterback bashing--which is usually more overcriticism than underappreciation based anyway.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Romo had a tendency to fold under pressure-the bigger the game, the bigger the chance of a lose as proven by his playoff record and the 3 straight "just win the last game" losses.

Dak does the same thing. So what?

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score

Disagree that it's Romo. He may be overappreciated by many, especially when I saw him ranked 3rd on all time best Cowboys QBs.

My pick: Jim Jeffcoat. Jim is an all time great pass rusher. He doesn't get his due because most of his career happened when the Cowboys were terrible. How many even know that he had 10.5 sacks in 1992, and was instrumental in the super bowl victory. Also had 6 in 1993, as his career was winding down.

kskboys

Reaction score
Romo had a tendency to fold under pressure-the bigger the game, the bigger the chance of a lose as proven by his playoff record and the 3 straight "just win the last game" losses. How was he underappreciated?
Meredith and White were appreciated during their time. They're becoming forgotten over time because they didnt win anything big. I was a huge fan of Meredith but never forgave him for walking away. White got burned by "the catch" but he was appreciated when he played.

for underappreciated I would go more toward Bob Hayes, Chuch Howley, Cornell Green types. Consistent all stars that we took for granted and were ignored by the NFL after they retired
You've got to be joking. Dandy's knees gave out.