Who is the best option at QB?

sean10mm

Reaction score
I'm not even really arguing for Dak being amazing here, believe it or not. I think he's a nice player who will probably get paid a number that looks scary until you read the fine print, because NFL contracts are shady accounting games as much as anything . It's why I'm not in a panic over the Cowboys signing him to too much money.

If he actually gets a deal that puts the team in a massive hole, that's a different story. But all that fear mongering seems to be based on people going into hysterics over random twitter rumors.

What actually kills me is guys cheerleading players who are even worse in the areas they're mad at Dak about.

Keenum is a career loser and dink-dunk artist with 1 good statistical season that ended in a 1-1 playoff run where he threw more picks than touchdowns. Dak does that and this forum wants to bury him, but Keenum doing the same thing is somehow a qualification to replace Dak? Say what?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dallas may look at late draft pick at QB or given there are so many vet FA QB on the market they may find a vet backup.
I would rather invest in potential in a Rook, than the floor with an available Vet to be honest.
Romo needed a Vet in case/when he got injured.
This game is a risk every week, but if their is one intangible I like about Dak, its his durability.
Dak may not be a lot of things, but he has proven to be a very strong, durable QB, and can take a hit.
I would rather take a shot on a Rook that might actually have something, and be a better back up than we currently have in Rush, possibly even push Dak eventually.

Kwyn

Reaction score
My plan for what specifically? Chances are, I've probably already done that several times on this board but I'm happy to reiterate that, if you can be a little more specific. TY
Your plan for QB. You lamented the fact that advocating for anyone but Dak gets you labeled a hater or a troll. I was genuinely interested in what you would do if you were the decision maker.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Dak.

although I hope we look at Mariota as a backup. I don’t even care about price so long as it is under 7 million. He has a bunch of potential in this league still!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here is a short list of names to help the discussion, along with their projected market value according spotrac.
  • Brees - 36.5 Too much $
  • Brady - 33.7 Way Too much $
  • Rivers - 27.5 Take off 20 million and we'll talk
  • Bridgewater - 20.0 This is a good option
  • Winston - 26.7 over priced
  • Tannehil - 30.5 Too much $
  • Dak - 33.0 Too much
Others- nothing exciting here but Mariota at 2-3 million is worth a shot.
  • Mariota
  • Daniel
  • Keenum
  • Henne
  • Stanton
  • McCoy
Draft available QB’s (using Jimmy J’s draft value chart to show what it would take to get them)
  • Burrow - #17 overall, 2 future firsts, a number 2 or 3 - probably a 4th or 5th
  • Tua - #17, 2 future firsts
  • Hebert - #27, 2 future firsts
  • Fromm - #17 Fromm or Eason would be interesting. Transition tag Dak for their 1st year. If Dak stays fromm sits 1 year to learn then starts next year and if Dak gets signed elsewhere we win some picks to help build around a young QB that you will have control of for 5 years.
  • Eason - #17

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would rather invest in potential in a Rook, than the floor with an available Vet to be honest.
Romo needed a Vet in case/when he got injured.
This game is a risk every week, but if their is one intangible I like about Dak, its his durability.
Dak may not be a lot of things, but he has proven to be a very strong, durable QB, and can take a hit.
I would rather take a shot on a Rook that might actually have something, and be a better back up than we currently have in Rush, possibly even push Dak eventually.

I see pros and cons with both. Having a vet with some game experience is better prepared to step in at a moments notice and of course with a rookie you have a chance to develop. I will say though hitting on late rd QB or UDFA just does not happen that often. I don't expect to see Dallas drafting a QB early on in the draft but could take a late rd swing at a QB

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You know what's funny here? It's the fact that you don't know what you are talking about and yet, you sit here and post like you got business saying anything about that? That's what's funny here.

Don't waste my time. You don't know what you are talking about here.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. YOU simply can't handle the truth. Quit wasting our time with your anti-Dak diatribe. Dak is getting resigned to a very lucrative contract very soon. Another fact.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Come on man. Do you really think he was the problem ? He was the reason we lost? I’d say special teams, Coaching and Defense has more to do with that. And the numbers back it up.

We were 6th in scoring. IMO that’s an important metric for measuring an offense’s success. Would you agree?

Look at his Passer rating, QBR, ints, yards, or whatever metric you want. He produced. And at a very high level.

The point is many had the critique that he was a bus driver. That he couldn’t throw for 200 yards. Etc. He clearly proved that completely wrong. So now it’s turned into. “Well we didn’t win”. Do you see how that thinking is flawed. At best.
100% i believe he is the reason. He was showcased . . . He achieved empty stats and the Cowboys were ineffective against Quality teams.

Relying on Dak early in games caused us to fall behind which caised us to rely even more on him. In the last 4 years Our Defense has prospered when the Cowboys grinded out yards in a possession based offense.

As far as Special teams the Kicker should have been replaced sooner. But I have always had an issue with the nonexistent red Zone offense. If you are honest and factor in Zeke and the Oline then 100% of the blame falls on the QB ability tp accurately place the ball in a tight spot.

In the RedZone the edges are utilized and if not its crossing timing passes that are relied on. Instead of taking advantage of a team selling out to not let Zeke gain an Inch, Dak is incapable of dropping a pass in a tight window. And the defense knows this the Book is out.

I am 44 years old I love football and have studied it extensively.

The Oline is one of the greatest units ever assembled in NFL History. I am judging Lb Secondary DLINe Lbers.

Cowboys Oline was a unique weapon no other team ever had.

2014 was special (robbed).

2015 was tragic (lost NFL leading rusher and Romo).

2016 was sureal but squandered (Elite weapon abandoned for no good reason)

2017 stumbling block (Distraction of the looming and eventual Suspension of up and coming NFL star based on hersey and no convictions)

2018 drama (Dez is unceramoniously dumped ala Romo)

2019 pay the piper (Drama from Zeke holdout with Dak entering his final Year Zeke makes a preemptive strike to ensure he is paid while there is money left. Dak plays beyond his capabilities and team falters. If he would have embraced the Bus Driver role. The Cowboys will have been more successful and Dak would be paid genourously.

Instead Dak throws for 5000 yds Cowboys beat 1 team with winning record and Dak is refusing top Money because he got 5000 yds on his resume

Is Dak worth 3x as much as Zeke. And we all thought Zeke was greedy.

So now the greatest Weapon in NFL history has been squandered with No Rings to prove they were the best.

All they got on thier resume is that they elevated an average QB to become the receipant of 35 million a year.

But to be honest that may be thier greatest accomplishment.

But I am a Fan of the Coboys and Not Dak. I wish to see another QB . . . a QB with NFL Caliber starting QB qualities become elevated by this O-Line

InTheZone

Reaction score
I need to know the prices of these QBs.

If we had Carr or Mariotta it would not be a huge drop from Dak. Even Jameis would do well here as much as I do not like that guy.

Zeke and the Oline are going to allow them to play a Dak Prescott brand of football because Dak is not that good to begin with. He’s just in an optimal environment for a QB.

As far as Brady.. Depends on his price because he’ll do just as good as Dak too.

If Dak was good we easily make the post season because our division was horrible and the Cowboys stayed relatively healthy.
beyond disgusting how we fail to reach the playoffs in a weak year in the division, but Patriots have made a habit out of getting 1st round byes from this.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Come on man. Do you really think he was the problem ? He was the reason we lost? I’d say special teams, Coaching and Defense has more to do with that. And the numbers back it up.

We were 6th in scoring. IMO that’s an important metric for measuring an offense’s success. Would you agree?

Look at his Passer rating, QBR, ints, yards, or whatever metric you want. He produced. And at a very high level.

The point is many had the critique that he was a bus driver. That he couldn’t throw for 200 yards. Etc. He clearly proved that completely wrong. So now it’s turned into. “Well we didn’t win”. Do you see how that thinking is flawed. At best.
not saying it was you, but there were tons of posts and probably even threads trying to blame defense and special teams when we lost games this year by the scores of:

10-12
9-13
9-17

It was sad reading those arguments that somehow Dak wasn't the bigger issue in those games and that somehow a single special teams play or their play in general, despite some of these low scoring games, was the bigger issue. It's like looking at a full grown bear and someone says, no that's a twinkie.

Just 3 games, but absolutely pathetic on Daks part. Don't read this as "I'm only blaming Dak" as some of you (again, not saying it's you) quickly choose to. He had many other games where he was flat for a half or 3 quarters, this is just a sample size. I don't give a darn about him lighting up the league for 3 games, I look at consistency and tendencies. He is more often than not below average or average more than he is above average.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Brees will never leave NO. After Katrina, he and that city are married until death. He’s a God there. Not to mention that he has a great coach with whom he has a great relationship
well all 3 QBs they have are all FAS I believe or at least their Backups are.. they said that about TB12 and he might be walking..

well Bridgewater and Tasom Hill could be options.. TB as primary at 20-22 Hioll at B/up?

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
So, Bridgewater or Mariota. By the way,
so, the only free agents you would consider are Teddy, at 20m, and Mariota at 2-3m

To my recollection, the only week 1 starting QB earning less than 3 million was Case Keenum who started while Haskins was in waiting

Mariota made almost 7 million.

There is a less than zero chance that any Cowboy starting QB is going to make the 2-3m number you suggest unless you’re talking about career backups and none of us want to see Schaub, Gabbert, Kizer or any of their ilk starting for the Cowboys

blueblood70

Reaction score

so, the only free agents you would consider are Teddy, at 20m, and Mariota at 2-3m

To my recollection, the only week 1 starting QB earning less than 3 million was Case Keenum who started while Haskins was in waiting

There is a less than zero chance that any Cowboy starting QB is going to make the 2-3m number you suggest unless you’re talking about career backups and none of us want to see Schaub, Gabbert, Kizer or any of their ilk starting for the Cowboys

not sure who you are talking too but MM will get 15plus as a backup with a shot to start .
Keenum got around that and thats the going rate.. Bridgwater offer him 22 like Foles got and he will come running ..:))

why not thats like 15 mil less then Daks demanding and how much drop off can there be? Strong run game, better STs, and solid defense =better for less

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

What i'm saying is there is no free agent QB worth 30 million a year. That is true. There are good QB's available but non worth that money. Brees and Brady at one time were worth large contracts but to win a SB even those guys need more help.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
not sure who you are talking too but MM will get 15plus as a backup with a shot to start .
Keenum got around that and thats the going rate.. Bridgwater offer him 22 like Foles got and he will come running ..:))

why not thats like 15 mil less then Daks demanding and how much drop off can there be? Strong run game, better STs, and solid defense =better for less
Bridgewater would be fine by me.

Give him a fair deal over $20mil/yr and give him attainable incentives for performance attained..

for example the usual things like completions, yardage, TDs plus..

things like rushing, making a Pro Bowl and whatever other categories you want.

Make it total upwards of $30 mil/yr in the second year and more the 3 rd year. Give both parties an "out clause" before a 3 rd yr and if Bridgewater wants more and has earned it..fine..we pay it or his next team does.

The point is all parties have control without risking complete failure and preserve complete success if attained.