- very hard to cover with a LB
- big play potential on every touch

if he can pass block, he'll get snaps and make big plays
I'm going with the rookie defensive tackle

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke is as indestructible as any RB in the league. That workhorse needs to be ridden hard. 10 fewer carries for Zeke to throw away on Pollard is nothing short of pure insanity. Pollard shouldn't touch the ball any more than 4 times per game unless the wheels fall off of Zeke.
As many times as Elliott took himself out of the game last season. Is just about as many times as the rookie Pollard should get the ball . The coaches should know to take Ezekiel Elliott out before Zeke knows someone's not paying attention

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As many times as Elliott took himself out of the game last season. Is just about as many times as the rookie Pollard should get the ball . The coaches should know to take Ezekiel Elliott out before Zeke knows someone's not paying attention
How many times was that? I don't recall that happening much at all. He almost never takes himself out of a game.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How many times was that? I don't recall that happening much at all. He almost never takes himself out of a game.
I don't know exact number. He took himself out more times, then I could appreciate. I thought he could at least should have stayed in as a decoy. You go on a 10 .11 play drive and finally get to the Red Zone and your a little spent. You don't recall? I'm not saying it wasn't warranted. Just saying he did it. I think at least six times I was upset with the coaching staff for that reason. I don't recall if it was more in the beginning of the Season, or later in the season.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's just about as many times as the rookie should get the ball. LOL sarcasm my cowboy brother

Number1

Reaction score
Zeke is as indestructible as any RB in the league. That workhorse needs to be ridden hard. 10 fewer carries for Zeke to throw away on Pollard is nothing short of pure insanity. Pollard shouldn't touch the ball any more than 4 times per game unless the wheels fall off of Zeke.
last years rushing numbers

are you a Linehan fan or something?

EZEKIEL ELLIOTT 1434 YDS
Dak Prescott 305 YDS
Rod Smith 127 YDS

when your RB leads the NFL in rushing yards, but manages just 5 TDs ...
when your QB has more rushing TDs than your NFL leading rusher ...
when your #2 RB doesn't average 10y a game ...

it's time to get a new OC and a new #2 RB

BTW, some of those 10 touches a game are likely to happen w/ Zeke on the field

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I'm gonna lay my pennies down on the #48, Joe Thomas to be kickin' in the full afterburners on every opportunity he's given, as he was only signed to a two year contract in 2018, & he'll be "putting" it all out there on the playing field this season:starspin:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

EZEKIEL ELLIOTT 1434 YDS
Dak Prescott 305 YDS
Rod Smith 127 YDS

Do you understand why we are running Smash Mouth football team. We don't want to overexpose the youngest defense in the entire league. Third youngest overall youngest starting team. We went to the second round of the playoffs. With the youngest starting team in the league, truly comprehend that. And then people think Prescott sucks on another note. They just don't understand what's happening. And why

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

EZEKIEL ELLIOTT 1434 YDS
Dak Prescott 305 YDS
Rod Smith 127 YDS

when your #2 RB doesn't average 10y a game ... we were actually pretty balanced.

You do understand we passed for only 20 more times during the season then we ran.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree about Pollard, unless the plan is to take away a good amount of carries from Zeke, which would just be dumb. There's room on this team for Pollard but not enough to ever call him a "star". Zeke is the straw that stirs the drink on this offense.

Pollard is a RB/WR/Blocker/Gadget player.

He can be on the field with Zeke.

He played for Memphis. Their starting RB was Darrell Henderson. Pollard and Henderson were often on the field together.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

He played for Memphis. Their starting RB was Darrell Henderson. Pollard and Henderson were often on the field together.
I'm thinking Trayvon Austin is going to lose his roster spot because of the rookie. I can't wait to see him on special teams.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Somebody at CZ posted about it almost every week.

The Cowboys coached Zeke in 2018 to go 110% when on the field but to take a breather anytime he needed it.

It's similar to the Cowboys DLine philosophy. Go 110%. Rest when needed.

The result was that Zeke was the most focused that he's been in any year with the Cowboys.

Zeke's attention to detail including receiving and blocking was terrific in 2018.

It does vary from the Emmitt advice to Zeke that he needs to conserve energy by going out of bounds
if he has the 1st down instead of fighting for a couple of extra yards after the 1st down.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't know exact number. He took himself out more times, then I could appreciate. I thought he could at least should have stayed in as a decoy. You go on a 10 .11 play drive and finally get to the Red Zone and your a little spent. You don't recall? I'm not saying it wasn't warranted. Just saying he did it. I think at least six times I was upset with the coaching staff for that reason. I don't recall if it was more in the beginning of the Season, or later in the season.
A good deal of those plays he missed wasn't Zeke taking himself out of the play. The coaching staff did it so he could have a breather. They did it often at the worst times last season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

EZEKIEL ELLIOTT 1434 YDS
Dak Prescott 305 YDS
Rod Smith 127 YDS

I'm glad Linehan is gone. He didn't know how to use Zeke correctly and often took him out of the game in the red zone. I doubt Zeke and Pollard are ever on the field at the same time.

Number1

Reaction score
Do you understand why we are running Smash Mouth football team. We don't want to overexpose the youngest defense in the entire league. Third youngest overall youngest starting team. We went to the second round of the playoffs. With the youngest starting team in the league, truly comprehend that. And then people think Prescott sucks on another note. They just don't understand what's happening. And why

yep, a Linehan fan to the bone

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

That's a different coaching staff, my man. It remains to be seen how KM will scheme plays.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Somebody at CZ posted about it almost every week.

The Cowboys coached Zeke in 2018 to go 110% when on the field but to take a breather anytime he needed it.

It's similar to the Cowboys DLine philosophy. Go 110%. Rest when needed.

The result was that Zeke was the most focused that he's been in any year with the Cowboys.

Zeke's attention to detail including receiving and blocking was terrific in 2018.

It does vary from the Emmitt advice to Zeke that he needs to conserve energy by going out of bounds
if he has the 1st down instead of fighting for a couple of extra yards after the 1st down.
I think a lot of that was Linehan sitting Zeke for a breather and not Zeke taking himself out of the game.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Disagree about Pollard, unless the plan is to take away a good amount of carries from Zeke, which would just be dumb. There's room on this team for Pollard but not enough to ever call him a "star". Zeke is the straw that stirs the drink on this offense.
In Moores scheme, I would be willing to bet that Pollard takes more away from Cobb then he ever would Zeke.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a lot of that was Linehan sitting Zeke for a breather and not Zeke taking himself out of the game.
He could often be seen tapping his helmet (the sign for send in the replacement).

I noticed it in 2018 but rarely if ever noticed it in previous years.

I have no idea exactly how often it occurred in any year as the cameras don't always show it and I was not counting.

It's actually a better method than just having the coaches rotate in a backup randomly in order to keep Zeke rested.

Zeke had significantly more touches as a receiver in 2018 than previously (95 targets vs 39 in 2016).

None of the RBs in the modern NFL play all the snaps the way Emmitt did back in the day.

Emmitt said back in 2016 that Zeke was going to need to conserve himself.

Emmitt gave the example of running out of bounds after gaining a 1st down instead of running over defenders to get an extra yard or two.

My guess is that Zeke can't really limit himself when he is one the field and just exiting the game to stay rested works better for him.