News: Who Is This Year’s Emerging Star?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Now that I can buy.
I find it odd that fans feel defensive when adding talented players and they somehow think that their favorite players role, in this case Zeke, that his role might be somehow diminished.
I also find it very encouraging that this team seeks out talent in the draft at every position, even when we think we might already be stacked at said position.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Somebody at CZ posted about it almost every week.

The Cowboys coached Zeke in 2018 to go 110% when on the field but to take a breather anytime he needed it.

It's similar to the Cowboys DLine philosophy. Go 110%. Rest when needed.

The result was that Zeke was the most focused that he's been in any year with the Cowboys.

Zeke's attention to detail including receiving and blocking was terrific in 2018.

It does vary from the Emmitt advice to Zeke that he needs to conserve energy by going out of bounds
if he has the 1st down instead of fighting for a couple of extra yards after the 1st down.
P not to quote the Patriots or anything. But their players are told to take themselves out when they're tired because if they make a mistake they're screwed. Different philosophies I guess

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A good deal of those plays he missed wasn't Zeke taking himself out of the play. The coaching staff did it so he could have a breather. They did it often at the worst times last season.
I actually thought it was Zeke taking himself out.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a different coaching staff, my man. It remains to be seen how KM will scheme plays.

Kellen Moore reportedly really wanted to draft Pollard.

I've spent significant time studying Boise St. games with Kellen Moore as well as the Memphis offense and the LA Rams offense.

There were similarities between Memphis and Boise St. and some of those similarities point to doing more with versatile skill position players.

There was also the "meaningless" game 16 in which it was rumored that Kellen Moore was allowed to call the plays.

That game 16 definitely had a different "feel" to the offense and I've reviewed it multiple times.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Kellen Moore reportedly really wanted to draft Pollard.

I've spent significant time studying Boise St. games with Kellen Moore as well as the Memphis offense and the LA Rams offense.

There were similarities between Memphis and Boise St. and some of those similarities point to doing more with versatile skill position players.

There was also the "meaningless" game 16 in which it was rumored that Kellen Moore was allowed to call the plays.

That game 16 definitely had a different "feel" to the offense and I've reviewed it multiple times.
I have as well,, and you are in line with this evaluation.
I recognized the Pollard pick as a bone for Moore when we drafted him, he needs that type of back that he can move around with hands, but still be a threat running the ball.
In all honesty I was surprised Pollard was still available at that pick,, kid has tremendous upside,, maybe the highest ceiling of any player we drafted,, maybe.
I review a lot of tape also,, Im sure you know the difference from reading your posts,, tape and youtube are very different,, I have been very fortunate to have grown up with friends in the industry and I can not appreciate the film study enough, and I have been saying since we drafted Pollard that he will be one of the top steals of the draft, and I stand by that.
Im not a scout, and have never claimed to be, but I have a close relationship and trust with one that says Pollard is all that and a bag of chips..
This one is special, and a perfect fit.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He would tap his helmet to indicate to the coaches he needed a breather but they would keep him out of too many plays.
Noticed the same,, but it wont be Pollard coming in, more than likely Weber to breath Zeke.
Camp is going to be very entertaining this season.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Zeke takes 90% of the snaps and handles more touches than any other back in football, and people are ticked because he doesn't play 100% of the snaps. SMDH.

Last year he remained efficient on extreme volume and stayed healthy for the entire season. Whatever he has to do to manage his reps, it's working.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Noticed the same,, but it wont be Pollard coming in, more than likely Weber to breath Zeke.
Camp is going to be very entertaining this season.
I hope you are right. Seeing KM use all these weapons correctly is something I'm really looking forward to seeing this season. Like a drone pilot on the ground dominating an aerial dog fight, I expect KM on the sideline to kick butt.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I hope you are right. Seeing KM use all these weapons correctly is something I'm really looking forward to seeing this season. Like a drone pilot on the ground dominating an aerial dog fight, I expect KM on the sideline to kick butt.
Its human nature to protect your job, your income.. having said that, I hope Garrett doesn't put a collar on him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm glad Linehan is gone. He didn't know how to use Zeke correctly and often took him out of the game in the red zone. I doubt Zeke and Pollard are ever on the field at the same time.

Did he?

I think you might be remembering plays where Zeke lined up at WR.

For games 1-15 in the 2018 regular season (Zeke didn't play game 16), the Cowboys used a formation without a RB in the redzone 1 time.

For games 1-15 the only RB other than Zeke with rushing attempts in the redzone was Rod Smith with 4 total in the redzone.

Of Rod Smith's 4 redzone rushing attempts, 3 were on 1st down and 1 was on 2nd down.

Two of Smith's RZ rushing attempts were in week 4. Zeke was 25 for 152 in that game (It was his season high for rushing yards).

All Rushing Attempts by Cowboys RBs in games 1 to 15:
Zeke 304
Rod Smith 32
Olawale 0
Darius Jackson 0

In game 16:
Zeke - Didn't Play
Rod Smith 12
Darius Jackson 6
Olawale 0

Tavon Austin is listed with 6 rushing attempts; however, those were Jet Sweeps/Reverses with Austin playing WR, not RB. (i.e. Zeke also on the field).

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Did he?

I think you might be remembering plays where Zeke lined up at WR.

For games 1-15 in the 2018 regular season (Zeke didn't play game 16), the Cowboys used a formation without a RB in the redzone 1 time.

For games 1-15 the only RB other than Zeke with rushing attempts in the redzone was Rod Smith with 4 total in the redzone.

Of Rod Smith's 4 redzone rushing attempts, 3 were on 1st down and 1 was on 2nd down.

Two of Smith's RZ rushing attempts were in week 4. Zeke was 25 for 152 in that game (It was his season high for rushing yards).

All Rushing Attempts by Cowboys RBs in games 1 to 15:
Zeke 304
Rod Smith 32
Olawale 0
Darius Jackson 0

In game 16:
Zeke - Didn't Play
Rod Smith 12
Darius Jackson 6
Olawale 0

Tavon Austin is listed with 6 rushing attempts; however, those were Jet Sweeps/Reverses with Austin playing WR, not RB. (i.e. Zeke also on the field).
What percentage of the time was our goal line offence a carry by Zeke? I know he didn't get near as many carries on the goal line than he should have.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What percentage of the time was our goal line offence a carry by Zeke? I know he didn't get near as many carries on the goal line than he should have.
What are you calling goal-line?

Yards from the Goal-line:
2 or less: 6% pass, 94% run
5 or less: 39% pass, 61% run
10 or less: 45% pass, 55% run