Who said Garrett was a conservative play caller?

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I remember him being the pass happy too... then Murray broke out Linehan came in and Romo started getting injured.

Asklesko

Reaction score
I haven't heard that, just that he is a bad one.

Conservative play calling isn't bad if it works. ;)

Reaction score
There is little imagination to this offense. Freddie Kitchens took over OC for the Browns, & requested plays from the players they liked running best. He incorporated them into the offense, & they went off. They are so fun to watch in this dink & dunk NFL. I just know that they had the second highest yards per play average since the merger-next to the 2000 Rams.
So, I would love for them to bring someone in who isn't afraid of trying new things & shaking it up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
HE does have the reputation of it.....not sure why he does....I guys for some of the punts on 4th and 2 or 4th and 1 he use to do.........

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Garrett's issue is that he can't adjust well IMO. You see it game after game. If he has a sound game plan going in, then we have a good chance of winning. However, you don't see him evaluate and counter much IMO. That's the real problem that I see.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL......so he has zero chance with you then.

I've seen it before.

Mr I don't know how to use Felix Jones when he is running for 40 yard TD's every other time he touches the ball.

Mr. can't balance the run to pass ratio. Completely pass happy.

I watched the games and his offenses were garbage and Tony Romo is the only reason the offenses had any success at all.

Scott Linehan came in and gave us an identity at least. With Garrett it was an absolute mess.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Garrett's issue is that he can't adjust well IMO. You see it game after game. If he has a sound game plan going in, then we have a good chance of winning. However, you don't see him evaluate and counter much IMO. That's the real problem that I see.

Some people simply don't do this well. Some of the smartest people I know have issues with this. Don't get me wrong, they have extraordinary IQs and well organized to the point all Is' and Ts' are dotted. But they're also very structured where they see things as ABCD and as long as things go accordingly they're fine. But if you change something on the fly and put D in front of C, you throw them off. My experience has shown lots of military and government people are similar.

sideon

Reaction score
He was very aggressive when he was just the OC and the blame would just ultimately land on Wade, he wasn't called conservative for no reason because he often played not to lose and was happy with tying the game.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to his play calling either way.

Seems Jerry has given him just enough rope to hang himself on this one. Either he can succeed or be gone.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
The offense was trash under Garrett. Ignore the numbers. He stood on Tony Romo's shoulders.

There is a reason the Cowboys brought in Linehan.

I though linehan ran Garrett’s offense

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I though linehan ran Garrett’s offense

He did.

He brought balance to Garretts offense with his playcalls.

With Garrett it was like the wild wild west and Linehan came in and gave us structure and an identity when we didn't have one.

We are the team we are today because of the 2014 season when Linehan was brought in.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Some people simply don't do this well. Some of the smartest people I know have issues with this. Don't get me wrong, they have extraordinary IQs and well organized to the point all Is' and Ts' are dotted. But they're also very structured where they see things as ABCD and as long as things go accordingly they're fine. But if you change something on the fly and put D in front of C, you throw them off. My experience has shown lots of military and government people are similar.

Yes, they have a very Linear view. That would be the problem with Garrett, IMO. I don't know if this is because his personality is just that type or if it's because he didn't get enough experience with Coaches who are more experienced with changing things on the fly. Hard to say but either way, I see that as our teams biggest weakness, in terms of Coaching. JMO

Vanilla2

Reaction score
He did.

He brought balance to Garretts offense with his playcalls.

With Garrett it was like the wild wild west and Linehan came in and gave us structure and an identity when we didn't have one.

We are the team we are today because of the 2014 season when Linehan was brought in.

So why not fire Garrett and promote linehan

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
There is little imagination to this offense. Freddie Kitchens took over OC for the Browns, & requested plays from the players they liked running best. He incorporated them into the offense, & they went off. They are so fun to watch in this dink & dunk NFL. I just know that they had the second highest yards per play average since the merger-next to the 2000 Rams.
So, I would love for them to bring someone in who isn't afraid of trying new things & shaking it up.
How did the Browns do in the Playoffs? ;)