Who was the best pass-rushing (guys who get sacks) Cowboy ever?

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
With Haley on his defensive hot streak this year,

I got wondering:

of all the great pass-rushers in Cowboys history (i.e. the guys who sack the QB), who do you consider the best ever?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Charles Haley
Harvey Martin
Jim Jeffcoat

Those are the 3 best passrushers in Cowboys history, IMO... Randy White and Bob Lilly were pretty good at it from DT, too...

I know, I left off Too Tall and even Tony Tolbert, but those DEs were actually better run stuffers who got to the QB from time to time...

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
silverbear;2408712 said:
Charles Haley
Harvey Martin
Jim Jeffcoat

Those are the 3 best passrushers in Cowboys history, IMO... Randy White and Bob Lilly were pretty good at it from DT, too...

I know, I left off Too Tall and even Tony Tolbert, but those DEs were actually better run stuffers who got to the QB from time to time...

I agree.:hammer: Too Tall was also excellent at batting down passes.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Harvey Martin was a beast. I think he would hold some NFL sack records if the stat were kept for his whole career.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MrKennedyKennedy;2408692 said:
With Haley on his defensive hot streak this year,

The only streak Haley is on this year is to the buffet table.

;)

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
George Andrie was a pass rushing machine! Jethro Pugh had a ton of sacks as well and that was from the DT position but I think a lot of that was because teams threw everyone they could to stop Lilly. We had 60 sacks in 1966 and that was in a 14 game season! The NFL didn't keep individual sack records until 1982 so there are no official stats for those guys but we did get 60 sacks that year and led the league or were near the top in most seasons from 1966-1972.

Harvey Martin was also a great pass rusher. Tony Tolbert was a guy most people overlooked but he was outstanding as well and a great guy to boot.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Ed Jones could knock passes down better than anyone I have ever seen. Not only was he "Too Tall" he had great anticipation.

Harvey Martin was the best we've had IMO. The guy was a non stop QB eating machine.

Haley only rushed the passer and while he was good at it, okay great at it, he did not have Harvey's instincts for the rest of the game.

Ware has more talent than all of them. He can do more and is far more versatile. One day we will call him our best.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Harvey Martin was the best -- by far.
George Andrie was a terrific pass rusher... As was Haley.

Ware needs to show me more before he's mentioned with any of the above.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
41-51465-P.jpg

Mansta54

Reaction score
1) Haley
2) H. Martin
3) Jeffcoat
4) Manster
5) Too Tall

D. Ware is still too young to mention just yet, but he could finish up being the best ever...

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that Andrie had 22 sacks that year/ I seem to recall that Harvey Martin beat his team record his great year; the article I remember mentioned that he just beat Andrie's record.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2408751 said:

I hate to say it because I was (still am) the Grand Pooh-bah of Ware Homers...........I agree. I'm still waiting.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
some people are just nostalgic. it's ware already. when you get called offsides just for being fast....

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I'm a little young for Andrie, But the best I have seen was Harvey Martin, Charles Haley and D Ware.

CoCo

Reaction score
Something to consider...

Martin had the Manster playing alongside him and Too Tall at the other end.

Haley had nowhere near the talent next to him though maybe a near Too Tall equivalent in Tolbert at RE.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;2408751 said:

I agree. I don't put Ware in the Harvey Martin/Charles Haley category just yet. He has a lot of time to get there though.

I agree Harvey was probably the best....but not by far. Charles Haley was right there. They were both some of the greatest pass rushers that ever played.

Kalyan

Reaction score
Hostile;2408746 said:
Ed Jones could knock passes down better than anyone I have ever seen. Not only was he "Too Tall" he had great anticipation.

May be somebody should teach this to Canty. We can live without his 2 sacks per season. on obvious passing plays, take a step back so that OL can't tie up his hands (we all know once he is engaged with OL, he doens't wnat to disengage ;) ) and try to knock passes down. He is 6-9 and if takes away all thos right side slants, would be a lot more help to our defensive backs.

Mansta54

Reaction score
CoCo;2408800 said:
Something to consider...

Martin had the Manster playing alongside him and Too Tall at the other end.

Haley had nowhere near the talent next to him though maybe a near Too Tall equivalent in Tolbert at RE.

Lett was beside Haley and Lett was damn good. At times, unblockable....