Who's drafting these terrible dlinemen?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Mobinvans, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

3,987 Messages
    4,419 Likes Received
    It's either true or its not that Gregory was evaluated a good player coming out of college and that it is a fact that he is a good player. He not being able to play now has nothing to do with that evaluation of his talent coming out of college.

HowardC, GhostOfPelluer and Idgit like this.
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

17,096 Messages
    15,316 Likes Received
    Now imagine Rod was not our DC

Instead of Taco we take Watt
    Instead of Hill we take Thornhill

Imagine this defense with those 2

These stupid picks have real long term implications

CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

55,917 Messages
    57,319 Likes Received
    Another swing and a miss.

More facts for you, since you either don't know or don't care to admit it.

The entire league knew that Randy Gregory was talented. The Cowboys didn't "evaluate" that talent better than anyone else.

The rest of the league knew about Randy Gregory's issues off the field. That's why they passed. They properly evaluated that those issues didn't warrant drafting him. So, if anyone improperly evaluated him, it would be the team that used a 2nd round pick on him where everyone knew the risks involved.

Let me know if you need any more education on this. I'm happy to help.

Blackrain likes this.
  4. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

7,913 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
    Trolling...

RM wanted the soft taco. He needed help on the line and over reached. He then fired the underachiever. I like RM the coach. Not a huge fan of RM the draft guru. Hire an old school DLine expert to help manage the Dline evaluation and stick to the damn draft board.

5. bayeslife

bayeslife 187beatdown

8,771 Messages
    7,286 Likes Received
    You literally just described Leighton Vander Esch

GhostOfPelluer likes this.
  6. charron

charron Well-Known Member

3,907 Messages
    4,227 Likes Received

Didnt they have him as an OLB?

7. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

1,998 Messages
    2,676 Likes Received
    We do a great job of finding the most talented players with strange problems that keep them from helping us on the field

Mobinvans and Idgit like this.
  8. visionary

17,096 Messages
    15,316 Likes Received
    This is a great example of excuse making

Watt was there when we picked Taco
    Thornhill was there when we picked Hill

We made those bad decisions because of Rod and the stupidity of the FO to listen to his nonsense

CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  9. visionary

17,096 Messages
    15,316 Likes Received
    Week 3, season 3

CUT!!!

LOL

10. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

13,734 Messages
    10,975 Likes Received
    Fans tend to like one stop destinations for their finger pointing, but the reality is no one person gets to make the choice. If they did, that one person would be Jerry.

The belief is generally that Marinelli is responsible, and while he may be partly responsible, to put it all on him is an oversimplification. I think every pick has to pass the muster with McClay and his staff to even be considered, and then Jerry/Stephen/Jason obviously have the option to override any choice coming from someone lower on the food chain.

As for Hill, it's a bit premature to call him terrible, but I admit to being uneasy about the pick.

11. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Zone Supporter

6,747 Messages
    9,127 Likes Received
    That is not true in Dallas. Linehan calls the DL shots. We draft anyone on the DL without Linehan's approval. Thats his area of expertise.

12. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

8,609 Messages
    12,266 Likes Received
    Mcclay was in the group that wanted Taco though. Im not bad mouthing him, but he was part of the problem this time. They took a lesser player because of length and fit. Hopefully they learn from this.

13. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

13,734 Messages
    10,975 Likes Received
    That's Marinelli (I know you knew that), but while it may be true that a D-Lineman needs to be approved by Marinelli, that doesn't mean he alone is making the choice. It's still the same process - McClay and his staff evaluate players, the coaches look at the players and make their own recommendation, and Jerry/Stephen/Jason weigh the needs and the evaluations and recommendations and decide who to pick.

14. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

56,511 Messages
    56,370 Likes Received
    Lol.

We’re you under the impression I thought busts don’t happen in the NFL?

Or are you just popping off in favor of snap judgements because you really think two weeks into a season is enough time to evaluate a player? You’re jumping to conclusions, again, because you want to be the first to be “right” about something to complain about. That’s fine. Just don’t ask me to hold your hand and tell you how smart you are along the way. You’re just guessing at this point.

15. noshame

noshame I'm not dead yet...... Zone Supporter

7,694 Messages
    5,209 Likes Received
    Except for mine, from '96 till about 2014 they flushed my feelings, cleaned them out of the gutters and used the manure spreader to distribute me around the pasture.:flagwave:

stasheroo likes this.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

56,511 Messages
    56,370 Likes Received
    I don’t know what this was supposed to mean.

17. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

6,960 Messages
    12,475 Likes Received
    Bingo. This moron drafted that worthless Taco

WillieBeamen likes this.
  18. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,959 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Our system is dictating to some extent the qualities we want in a D-lineman.

If you listen to Marinelli, and even D-Law in interviews its all about the get off, one gapping, and meeting the RB on the way to the QB.

This is the system the team has adopted for the d-line. This more than anything else dictates the requirements for the type of player.

Teams prior to the Dallas pick dictate who isn't available.

Then from what we can read in the news articles there is a discussion by everyone on whom they should consider. Everyone gets to pound the table for their player.

In the past it seems to me that Jerry decided from the debate. Now I don't really know because it was stated that Jerry's interest in Manziel was negated. Does someone else really have the final hammer.

I can only believe when it comes to d-lineman the team asks Marinelli things like what he sees, and does he feel he can reach out to the kid and coach him up.

But ultimately deciding between a d-end or another position wouldn't be Rod in my opinion.

19. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

13,734 Messages
    10,975 Likes Received
    Funny, I thought Jerry ran the team? Did Marinelli drug Jerry, Stephen, Jason and McClay before the first round started?

20. GhostOfPelluer

GhostOfPelluer Well-Known Member

2,986 Messages
    4,664 Likes Received
    How dare they treat people as people and not like the Madden GMs on this board.

HowardC likes this.