Who's the Idiot that Let Bill Callahan go?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I'm still pissed that we let Bill Callahan leave. He certainly is the best Oline coach in the NFL. I see the Brown's run game what Dallas was once before.

There is only one person I blame for him leaving. That's Jason Garrett.

If he would have let Callahan do what he does best rather than imposing his style of lame vanilla offense back then. Bill Callahan would still be with the Cowboys.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Jerry Jones wanted to keep Callahan. But Garrett didn't. So Callahan left.

You actually believe that Garrett who had no say in who his staff was was going to remove Callahan? Please, Jerry blocked Callahan from interviewing and that pretty much ended the relationship right there. The second his contract was done he split because there was no way he was going to stay in this circus.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Didn’t Jerry demote him? He was the OC, got demoted, and split when his contract was up I believe.

Jerry did not demote him. He wanted him to call the plays but Garrett didn't. So they hired Linehan. Linehan stated that he Callahan had some good run plays. Thus both Callahan and Linehan shared offensive play calling in 2014. After that, Callahan left because he and Garrett did not see eye to eye.

Garrett caused him to leave because of his ego. Not Jerry.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Jerry did not demote him. He wanted him to call the plays but Garrett didn't. So they hired Linehan. Linehan stated that he Callahan had some good run plays. Thus both Callahan and Linehan shared offensive play calling in 2014. After that, Callahan left because he and Garrett did not see eye to eye.

Garrett caused him to leave because of his ego. Not Jerry.

I think there is more to the story. I remember Garrett got stripped of play calling duties and I think Callahan took over. He had to call Garrett plays, though. The following year Linehan was brought in to call plays even though Callahan was OC. I also remember Jerry blocking him from leaving. I remember not being surprised at all that Callahan left as soon as he had the chance. I’d say the general dysfunction chased him.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think there is more to the story. I remember Garrett got stripped of play calling duties and I think Callahan took over. He had to call Garrett plays, though. The following year Linehan was brought in to call plays even though Callahan was OC. I also remember Jerry blocking him from leaving. I remember not being surprised at all that Callahan left as soon as he had the chance. I’d say the general dysfunction chased him.[/QUOTE

Yes the overall dysfunction caused this. But Jerry wanted to keep him. Garrett didn't want to give up playcalling.

khiladi

Reaction score
Two of the biggest disasters in the last few years, all done got Garrett by Jerry Jones:

1. Benching Romo over Dak
2. Burning bridges with Callahan for Garrett

Jason Garrett kept interfering with Callahan after Jerry stripped JG of play calling duties. You could tell BC impressed Jerry and Romo to the point he elevated him to OC in one year after completely revamping the blocking schemes and RG.

Obviously this was an issue, because BC was a WC guy completely changing the offense. Somehow in the seaso, Jerry agreed that changing the offense wasn’t a good thing, so they got Linehan. Jerry himself said explicitly that JG was the de facto OC in 2013 and it wasn’t fair to Callahan, but the hiring of Linehan allowed the Cowboys to retain the same offense. Linehan would be a better play caller in the Garrett offense, but would get the ball to Dez like CJ in Detroit and would run the ball, which he did.

Callahan obviously felt disrespected and wanted to interview for the Ravens job, but the kicker was that Callahan had the title of OC when he signed in 2012. So he couldn’t leave by title, even though it was effectively a promotion. And Jerry didn’t let him leave because he had a year left on his contract.

Callahan built the OL and RG that formed the centerpiece of our offensive success, not Garrett. Garrett hand picked Houck who brought in man blocking schemes with “huge” OL.

khiladi

Reaction score
You actually believe that Garrett who had no say in who his staff was was going to remove Callahan? Please, Jerry blocked Callahan from interviewing and that pretty much ended the relationship right there. The second his contract was done he split because there was no way he was going to stay in this circus.

Garrett had complete say in his staff. Jerry Jones was set on having essentially his ‘adopted son’ succeed and he gave him the longest leash in the business. Garrett brought in Houck, Dooley, his brother who brought in Kevin Ogletree and so on.

Jerry didn’t even let Wade guide Stewart to become DC and forced him to take over play calling. Brian Stewart was fired in a second, while Jerry continually gave Jason Garrett pass after pass.

And I honestly believe the only reason Jerry started pulling the leash from Garrett is because Romo was becoming a free agent and he demanded more say in power.

khiladi

Reaction score
He’s been with 6 NFL teams so let’s not pretend that the Cowboys lost some coach that never fails.

Well, his contract ends, new coaches come and he walks. He also builds power house OLs like with the Jets. Mark Sanchez made it to the playoffs with the RG and OL he established there.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaHAq5XqpMi4_2ve9opDEuOjQ9dwlam0d_3A&usqp=CAU "That would be me. 25 years and counting"????

khiladi

Reaction score
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/24/5443946/jerry-jones-cowboys-crying-jason-garrett

"That wasn't the plan," Jones said at the combine on Sunday, via the DMN. "Going into training camp, going into [organized team activities], going into that period of the time, the plan was for Bill to ultimately be the play-caller with Romo executing it."

https://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/sto...rifies-roles-dallas-cowboys-offensive-coaches

[
quote]"Linehan gives us a complete real change of our offense with our terminology," Jones said. "It's different. Although [Garrett and Linehan] have been together coaching, you can't see a lot of what we've been and what they did up in Detroit. He's got a track record of really zeroing in and building the offense around the talent, the specific talent and the qualities of the players."[/quote]

Interestingly, under Garrett, Romo wasn’t allowed in game planning meetings, which is unbelievable. The Peyton-Manning like responsibilities is what Jerry referred to when Romo got the new contract, but happened was the following:

Jones said quarterback Tony Romo will be "more involved" in the offense than he was last year, when he took part in game-plan meetings during the course of the week, but "how and where and what has to do with how comfortable he is" with Linehan, Jones said.

This mentions the following regarding Callahan

Jones said Romo was a "tremendous supporter" of Callahan, who called the plays in 2013. Callahan was upset by the demotion and the Cowboys also blocked him from interviewing with the Cleveland Brownsand Baltimore Ravens.

The plan last year was for Callahan to take over the offense, but Garrett could not give up the driver's seat even if he was not calling the plays. Jones said Garrett was "unquestionably" the coordinator on the day-to-day basis.

"It was unfair to Bill, but it was the offense that we've had since [Garrett] got here," Jones said.

Garrett's comfort and background with Linehan made him more willing to give up the seat in 2014.