Why Adding Four Compensatory Picks Is “Big Deal” For Cowboys’ Draft Plans

Sydla

Reaction score
it could have gone either way. Im just saying keeping Murray for another year or two vs keeping Dez has been the better answer compared to the two. This would have led us to being forced to bring in another viable RB and not having to watch the Dez debacle, who i dont fully blame on Dez, but i do not like Stephen for giving him that contract. At the very least, trade in Dez *not actual trade* and had to slightly less talented but better WRs, at the very worst.

We had a 50 50 chance but 100 percent chance to screw it up. THats been our way for a long time now.

The smart move at the time was paying Dez over Murray. I am no fan of the Jones' but this is revisionist history to now go back and suggest signing Murray was the smarter move at the time. It certainly was not.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
no he hasnt. Im only naming two because if i name others you ll sit there and nitpick. I wasnt a fan of keeping Dez over Murray. Im not a fan of letting Leary walk. Not a fan of other ways hes handled contracts and whatever his job is. Ps Parcells started this, and i wasnt the biggest fan of parcells by the time he came here. Everyone can see hes just waiting til he gets it not earn it. Now tell me all the awesome Stephen has done.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/09/28/Franchises/Jones-Parcells.aspx

Lol you won't name more because there isn't more. I think the one doing the nitpicking is you. You claim we have all of these bad contracts.....I'll give you Crawford and Dez. Though I don't know why on earth you would've overpaid for Murray with this offensive line but you wouldn't have paid Dez who at the time was a top receiver in this league.

And there are instances of Stephen disagreeing with Jerry and winning out.

Every single player the Cowboys let walk.....for the most part it has worked. Whether we liked it or not.

Saying Parcells "started this" is a broad statement. What do you mean?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Lol you won't name more because there isn't more. I think the one doing the nitpicking is you. You claim we have all of these bad contracts.....I'll give you Crawford and Dez. Though I don't know why on earth you would've overpaid for Murray with this offensive line but you wouldn't have paid Dez who at the time was a top receiver in this league.

And there are instances of Stephen disagreeing with Jerry and winning out.

Every single player the Cowboys let walk.....for the most part it has worked. Whether we liked it or not.

Saying Parcells "started this" is a broad statement. What do you mean?

lol. dear lords, who said overpaid, was Murray not working for us in our system? Who have we wont better with, Murray or Dez?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would seek quality over quantity
10 players aren’t making the team
I’d start with getting to the top of the second rnd
I think they'll package some of those extras to move up a bit. Just a guess

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The smart move at the time was paying Dez over Murray. I am no fan of the Jones' but this is revisionist history to now go back and suggest signing Murray was the smarter move at the time. It certainly was not.

There is an "at the time" and there is "what about your future" How did it pan out? Under Dez we havent won. With Murray we know why we won. When the trend was working, Dallas got away from it again.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I did.

I found no one who said that having extra picks is bad.

What I did find was a bunch of people saying the Cowboys and some fans are way too worked up over a few extra mid to late round picks. Surely, you see the difference, right?

So why are people telling Cowboy fans don't get too worked up? Why shouldn't fans be excited about more mid round picks? Why do fans even care? You can pretend as if you don't know but it's to piss on any positive thing that we have this season. The doom and gloomers. I get the doom and gloom to an extent. We had a disappointing year, Garrets still here...uncertainty of Dak. I get it. But to doom and gloom over getting draft picks is a All time low lol. Especially every year I come to this site and during the draft people beg for the Cowboys to trade up and get their pet cat. You have assets to do so. You guys may not value those picks but teams do. You win championships hitting on those picks and having cheap talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There is an "at the time" and there is "what about your future" How did it pan out? Under Dez we havent won. With Murray we know why we won. When the trend was working, Dallas got away from it again.

Demarco has been benched, hurt, cut and replaced since leaving here lol. He's a interesting one to rue over.

DFWJC

Reaction score
We have blown a few really valuable 2nd round picks, for whatever reason.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Demarco has been benched, hurt, cut and replaced since leaving here lol. He's a interesting one to rue over.

he was used incorrectly and whos to say he would be hurt if he stayed here. if he stayed one or two more years, it has given Dallas a better chance than riding Dez. Murray broke out and made it worth it. Dez has been an extremely good talent again something Dallas has never correctly used as well, but compared to the data we have, we have done better with Murray.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
lol. dear lords, who said overpaid, was Murray not working for us in our system? Who have we wont better with, Murray or Dez?

How would you have kept Murray if you didn't pay as much as the Eagirls did? Cowboys offered him a deal and he didn't want it.

And I don't know what we would've done. I just know Murray has already been on two teams since leaving here and it may go up to 3 in a few weeks.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
How would you have kept Murray if you didn't pay as much as the Eagirls did? Cowboys offered him a deal and he didn't want it.

And I don't know what we would've done. I just know Murray has already been on two teams since leaving here and it may go up to 3 in a few weeks.

instead of paying Dez, you offer a better contract, not that much higher, but we were told, if we let Dez walk, getting Murray is easier, if we let Murray walk more money for Dez. Ok fine, well Dez has not been worth it and the Cowboys were set up more for the run than the pass at the time. I like Romo but we knew we were going to have issues. The problem was again, the Dez? murray sets up your team, and we said "well running is working, so lets muck it up" and now we know we cant survive on Dez alone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
he was used incorrectly and whos to say he would be hurt if he stayed here. if he stayed one or two more years, it has given Dallas a better chance than riding Dez. Murray broke out and made it worth it. Dez has been an extremely good talent again something Dallas has never correctly used as well, but compared to the data we have, we have done better with Murray.

So let me get this straight....you wanted Demarco to sign a one or two year deal and turn down a longer term deal that would make him one of the highest paid backs in the league? Why would he have done that?

Demarco has been hurt here as well. Why wouldn't I believe he'd get hurt?

And we have done better with Demarco? Where are you getting that data from? He's always been here with Dez lol.

Sydla

Reaction score

That's called revisionism.

And please, don't start the silly, we had a formula with Murray, we got away from it and 2015 happened. 2015 had absolutely little to do with not having Murray.

Sydla

Reaction score
So why are people telling Cowboy fans don't get too worked up? Why shouldn't fans be excited about more mid round picks? Why do fans even care? You can pretend as if you don't know but it's to piss on any positive thing that we have this season. The doom and gloomers. I get the doom and gloom to an extent. We had a disappointing year, Garrets still here...uncertainty of Dak. I get it. But to doom and gloom over getting draft picks is a All time low lol. Especially every year I come to this site and during the draft people beg for the Cowboys to trade up and get their pet cat. You have assets to do so. You guys may not value those picks but teams do. You win championships hitting on those picks and having cheap talent.

Because people are acting like these comp picks are the fruits of sound, smart decision making by the Cowboys.

They aren't. They are the fruits of the Cowboys completely eschewing free agency in their misguided plan on how to use FA to make the team better, which in fact, they did not in 2017.

It's not that I don't value extra picks. But I see them for what they are........ mid to late round picks where the hit rate is extremely low and the only reason we have those picks is because we made questionable decisions with free agents.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
So let me get this straight....you wanted Demarco to sign a one or two year deal and turn down a longer term deal that would make him one of the highest paid backs in the league? Why would he have done that?

Demarco has been hurt here as well. Why wouldn't I believe he'd get hurt?

And we have done better with Demarco? Where are you getting that data from? He's always been here with Dez lol.

yes, RBs no longer have a longer shelf life. Mainly the reason Demarco walked, but if we had someone who can negoiate a good contract with incentives, or talking with Demarco that at the time and with him we are more primed to win than the Eagles at the time, does he walk? We dont know, but what we do know is that with a RB, we win better than with said WR alone. Wr's can barely do it alone, but we know what we can do with 1 good RB. If we utilize it correctly.

Which way does Demarco goes, who knows, but i would have made a better effort than Dallas did.

Sydla

Reaction score

This is silly. Murray would not have given us a better chance than Dez.

What data do you have that suggests we would have done better with Murray? I have got to see this.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Apple sure doesn't fall far from the tree...
No idea what you mean by this...
Jerry could honestly care less about players that don't sell jerseys.
His way is the way of the cheeseball fan.
Stephen is a GM sort who cares about depth and value per player.
The team direction has turned because Stephen is in charge.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
That's called revisionism.

And please, don't start the silly, we had a formula with Murray, we got away from it and 2015 happened. 2015 had absolutely little to do with not having Murray.

im not doing this after the fact, i have clearly stated, this is what i want at the time. at the time of that point in history, im going with Demarco over Dez.