CFZ Why an elite nose guard is almost as important as an elite QB

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Having an elite nose guard is almost as important as having an elite QB. Okay, I know you probably think I've got a football mind made up of a bowl of mashed potatoes, but hear me out.

An elite nose guard not only shuts down your opposing running game, but it also shuts down the opposing QB as well as opening opportunities for the rest of the defence. While an elite QB can pass the WRs open and all, an elite nose guard allows your Lbs to have a free run at the QB on blitzes, prevents the QB from stepping up in the pocket allowing outside rushers the ability to take him down like lions (looking at you Micah Parsons) taking down their prey. The running back won't have any holes, and, if the QB dares to throw, he'll have substantially less time than normal. Yes, the elite nose guard won't get the sacks and all that look pretty, but they are the engine that makes the defence deadly. They make the difference between the Doomsday Defense and a very good defence.

Here's another thing. An elite QB can win you regular season games and help you win in the playoffs. An elite nose guard wins you road playoff games and Super Bowls. Look at the Rams. Yes, Donald gets the credit with his sacks. But, he needs the help of his nose guard to do that. Want Parsons to become the next DWare, Ray Lewis, Randy White, etc? Get a top/elite nose guard.

This is why, in my mind, it's important that Ridgeway be developed into such a nose guard. If this happens, this defence can cross into the elite caliber. This results in the defence being able to be so deadly that being able to move the ball on them is like trying to move Mount Everest from it's base. Essentially, QBs help put up the points, elite nose guards keep the other team at 0.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Having an elite nose guard is almost as important as having an elite QB. Okay, I know you probably think I've got a football mind made up of a bowl of mashed potatoes, but hear me out.

An elite nose guard not only shuts down your opposing running game, but it also shuts down the opposing QB as well as opening opportunities for the rest of the defence. While an elite QB can pass the WRs open and all, an elite nose guard allows your Lbs to have a free run at the QB on blitzes, prevents the QB from stepping up in the pocket allowing outside rushers the ability to take him down like lions (looking at you Micah Parsons) taking down their prey. The running back won't have any holes, and, if the QB dares to throw, he'll have substantially less time than normal. Yes, the elite nose guard won't get the sacks and all that look pretty, but they are the engine that makes the defence deadly. They make the difference between the Doomsday Defense and a very good defence.

Here's another thing. An elite QB can win you regular season games and help you win in the playoffs. An elite nose guard wins you road playoff games and Super Bowls. Look at the Rams. Yes, Donald gets the credit with his sacks. But, he needs the help of his nose guard to do that. Want Parsons to become the next DWare, Ray Lewis, Randy White, etc? Get a top/elite nose guard.

This is why, in my mind, it's important that Ridgeway be developed into such a nose guard. If this happens, this defence can cross into the elite caliber. This results in the defence being able to be so deadly that being able to move the ball on them is like trying to move Mount Everest from it's base. Essentially, QBs help put up the points, elite nose guards keep the other team at 0.
I completely agree with you, my friend! I do think you have a mind made up of a bowl of mashed potatoes. :muttley:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I completely agree with you, my friend! I do think you have a mind made up of a bowl of mashed potatoes. :muttley:

Alright, tell me, which is better for the offense. Having a decent defence that still has holes and occasionally let's running backs through like a sieve, or an elite D where you're likely getting the ball at your own 40 or better because they forced punts and/or takeaways. An elite nose guard takes a great defence to an elite one.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Whoa there Seabiscuit.:laugh: While I do agree of the importance of a nose guard "almost"as important as a quarterback is a bit of an overstatement, in my humble opinion of course:) offensive tackle, defensive end, wide receiver, cornerback, 3-tech and maybe safety will go before nose guards.

By no means am I trying to discount the value of nose guard play. I often thought we should take one in the third or fourth round instead of waiting for rounds 5th 6th and 7th. I just think that the aforementioned positions would have a higher priority and affect the game more.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

You lost me here. It will be fantastic if Ridgeway turns out to be an elite NT, but it isn't real likely.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Alright, tell me, which is better for the offense. Having a decent defence that still has holes and occasionally let's running backs through like a sieve, or an elite D where you're likely getting the ball at your own 40 or better because they forced punts and/or takeaways. An elite nose guard takes a great defence to an elite one.
I don't converse with people with mash potato brains. You make no sense.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

I 100% agree, brother!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:muttley:
NFL Bizzaro land here.....anyone???

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Was this a school term paper that you now present to us.
You get an A for effort, Fuzzy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Whoa there Seabiscuit.:laugh: While I do agree of the importance of a nose guard "almost"as important as a quarterback is a bit of an overstatement, in my humble opinion of course:) offensive tackle, defensive end, wide receiver, cornerback, 3-tech and maybe safety will go before nose guards.

By no means am I trying to discount the value of nose guard play. I often thought we should take one in the third or fourth round instead of waiting for rounds 5th 6th and 7th. I just think that the aforementioned positions would have a higher priority and affect the game more.

Maybe not at the level of QB, but a top nose guard, in my view, should be a top priority as that takes a defence from a decent level to an elite level.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
:muttley:
NFL Bizzaro land here.....anyone???

Ok, let's go through a few examples. Let's start with Stafford. In 2014, he has a combo of Suh and Ziggy Ansah. He is able to lead the Lions to the playoffs. When those two leave a few seasons later, the Lions struggle. He goes to LA, and the Rams D is a top D. Oh, guess what, now all of a sudden, he wins.

Tom Brady is also greatly assisted by a top D. When we were getting ready to play the Bucs, a lot of the discussion had to do with the Bucs D. They have a very good nose guard. So, clearly, the last two SBs not only had excellent QBs, but they also had lethal defences. Kind of important to have if we have to play a playoff game against the Packers in Lambeau.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Come on OP ..... Nobody ever won a Superbowl because they got a dominant Nose tackle.