Why are the standards for this franchise so low?

Zordon

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

Where did this franchise go wrong? :facepalm:

jwitten82

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

It sucks, but as long as Jerry is here. We have to deal with it, plus the Dallas media has no balls to put the pressure on

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Mike McCarty "ran out of town".... we'll see how good a move that is. Easy to blame coaching. That will show up in the Packers play in 2019 and moving forward. See the Raiders and Lions and teams with new HC's in 2018

Tom Coughlin… we know how good a move that was. See the Giants record since. Sheli lost his mentor

Andy Reid nestled softly in KC and has accomplished more there than the Iggles have since in playoff appearances. Good move by the Iggs? debateable

Would say this, when the locker room is a mess, when the HC looses control AND when the team is no longer playing well for him, it's time to move on from the HC. See Wade Phillips. That is not the case for JG. Apparently we need more disgruntled players and locker room problems :rolleyes:.

Fact: in spite of losing starting and back up QB's in 2016, in spite of the crap show with Zeke in 2017and despite the 3-5 start in 2018 we have a record of 29-14 over those 3 years (so far), a playoff game in 2016 where we lost by a Rogers magic act and headed towards the playoffs in 2018. I would say the team is playing well for their HC. seemingly to your dissatisfaction. JMO. In sports the HC or manager is always the scapegoat when the teams they coach don't play well. Some times that is the case and some times it is not.

The examples you sited would suggest that two of the teams teams may have been better served to keep their HC's because their success has not been great since they were "run out of town". I know you will bring up the Iggles SB win but man, that's one year of success since the exit of Andy Reid. I'm thinking the Jags and Chiefs are reasonably happy with both Coughlin and Reid. Some team will get a good HC in McCarthy too. The question is, will the Packers reap the benefits of a new HC in 2019 or will another team reap the benefits of them running McCarthy "out of town"

droopdog7

Reaction score
Well, circumstances often dictate the end result. Coaches are generally fired once it is deemed that they LOST the team (or at least one its major players in the case of McCarthy). Criticize Garrett all you want but that has not really happened to him since he's been here. And frankly, I'd say getting the team to believe and play hard is at least 80% of the responsibility.

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Well, circumstances often dictate the end result. Coaches are generally fired once it is deemed that the LOST the team (or at least one its major players in the case of McCarthy). Criticize Garrett all you want but that has not really happened to him since he's been here. And frankly, I's say getting the team to believe and play is at least 80% of the responsibility.
:hammer:

InTheZone

Reaction score

The low standards for acceptance have spread to certain players as well. It's a shame.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
"Standards" and flipping coaches every 3 years because those standards aren't met is how teams like the Browns, Lions, Jets, Bills, Jaguars, Titans, Cardinals, etc. operate. NFL success isn't easy, guaranteed and the key isn't just to set high standards and fire coaches when you don't reach them on some obscure schedule you set.

This season, the Dallas Cowboys at 7-5, in position to take the East and have overcome an awful start to the year with subpar offensive talent, average special teams and a great defense. There will definitely be changes in the offseason, but dynastic tandems at the HC and skill positions don't grow off trees, regardless of 'standards."

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
All we really need is for JG to win a couple of superbowls and for the media to call him a genius. Jerry will immediately fire him.
If Jason starts to try and take all the credit and override Jerrys ego, he will get fired or quit.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Did i get something wrong? I thought we were on a four game winning streak, just beat the best team in the NFC, and are currently 1st in the division.

Why exactly are we whining again?

Because if fans and the front office just had standards, the league would have already awarded the 2018 lombardi to the Dallas Cowboys.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Well, circumstances often dictate the end result. Coaches are generally fired once it is deemed that they LOST the team (or at least one its major players in the case of McCarthy). Criticize Garrett all you want but that has not really happened to him since he's been here. And frankly, I'd say getting the team to believe and play hard is at least 80% of the responsibility.
Today I learned that as a HC in the NFL, as long as you have your team playing hard and they believe in something, your job is safe. Results are mostly meaningless.:facepalm:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Win a playoff game and Garrett can stay. Don't win a playoff game and we need a new head coach. It's a simple as that for me. 8 years and only 1 playoff win wouldn't suffice.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score

I agree whole heartedly but there is only one person to ask this question to...