Why are the standards for this franchise so low?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People forget we beat the snot out of the Saints for about 3 and a half quarters back in 2009 as well. People got hyped for that, our D was ranked like top 3, we shut our teams in back to back weeks and beat the Eagles 3 times..

...then got smacked around in the playoffs by the Vikings.

The playoffs are an entirely different situation - home field, fans making more of an impact, etc.

I’m still worried about this secondary and think it will be exposed soon.

We shut down Ryan and Brees. Rodgers will be sitting at home. Nobody else scares me in the NFC. Our defense is super bowl worthy. The problem is the offense.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

Where did this franchise go wrong? :facepalm:

There should be in no way that Garrett should have been our OC and our head coach.

Everyone wants to blame Jones for being a bad GM and owner. But he hired McCray and our drafting has gotten better.

Jerry even traded for Cooper and promoted Colombo. That's has turned out for the better.

AS for Garrett he hasn't done a thing to warrant getting an extension. He should be fired. He certainly is the worst coach in the NFL.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this a serious question? Is there anybody who honestly doesn't know the answer?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
lol.

Mike McCarthy was fired largely because Aaron Rodgers has been terrible and that team has been spoiled by success for a decade plus.
But NFL teams see younger OCs doing innovative things and McCarthy had gotten stale. Could back fire or could right ship.

Coughlin was 100 years old and team was in a rut. GM was real issue as they stopped producing enough young talent.

Reid was simply a mistake. DAL with all it's SBs pushed Philly's buttons and they panicked and fired the best coach they've ever had. They went back and hired Reid's asst.

JG: Garrett is Jerry's guy and he is executing the philosophy they have for the organization as a whole. It is a young, ascending group on a 4 game win streak. JG has to eventually prove his mettle in playoff games but he's on pace for an extension not a firing currently. He enjoys that same 29-15 as Dak since 2016.
That's 8 games more than McCarthy has won over the same period.

Coughlin won 19 games in his final 3 full seasons. Averaging 6.3 wins per year.
Reid has 22 his last 3 seasons with the Eagles.

So perhaps the fact JG has simply won more games recently than any of these guys did prior to being fired and not finished .500 or below in years has saved his job......

I wish you were still a mod so you could stick your own post and lock this thread.

Garrett has his warts and there are definitely issues, but he's earned the right to coach next week's game.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Ron Rivera is probably going to lose his job too so add him to the list of coaches with a better resume than Garrett in this decade who will be canned before he is

McKDaddy

Reaction score
All we really need is for JG to win a couple of superbowls and for the media to call him a genius. Jerry will immediately fire him.
Dang that's a good point. Been looking at it all wrong!!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I'm sorry. Did i get something wrong? I thought we were on a four game winning streak, just beat the best team in the NFC, and are currently 1st in the division.

Why exactly are we whining again?

Why? Because there is nothing like a whiny Monday morning, even after a win. It's been that way for years. Manic Monday!

In the words of the Boomtown Rats….

Tell me why I don't like Mondays
Tell me why I don't like Mondays
I wanna shoot, shoot, shoot
The whole day down
:grin:

TwentyOne

Reaction score

This is what happens...

1532972074-NS_cowcamp_0729spo_JL_05.jpg

When you cant control this...

805010_Jwalker_Blue_label_Whiskey_0-7.jpg

And then you lower your standards.

visionary

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

2 words

Gullible fans

Just read this board
There are still fans who think they know football and think Jerry is a good owner/GM and Garrett is a competent HC

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Well, circumstances often dictate the end result. Coaches are generally fired once it is deemed that they LOST the team (or at least one its major players in the case of McCarthy). Criticize Garrett all you want but that has not really happened to him since he's been here. And frankly, I'd say getting the team to believe and play hard is at least 80% of the responsibility.
This team plays hard for Jerry and they all know Garrett is Jerry long lost son and possible heir to the Cowboys.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

giphy-downsized.gif

basilhayden

Reaction score
Garrett put out a pretty decent squad that plays hard...

We’ve had terrible luck in the playoffs the past two times that I think should have been deep runs ...

But if we can’t win a playoff game or two I would move on

OK, we haven't. Let's kick Red to the curb and move on...

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Because Jerry screwed up and got scared.

He dumped Jimmy for Switzer, and realized fast that Switzer had no control.

He went into a panic and hired Gailey, and Gailey did well, but Jerry then messed up and jumped the gun on firing him. He admittedly regretted that.

Campo was Campo, he had no chance and Jerry jumped ship the instant he knew he could get Parcells.

Parcells was Parcells, but he and Jerry couldn't work so he left and Jerry reached for Wade.

Wade was Wade, and we got Garrett.

The point? Jerry got scared that he didn't give coaches long enough. He had to hit the reset button with Gailey, even though Gailey wasn't unsuccessful. He went too hard on him. His coaches after that were all out of his control, they either were so out of control he had no choice but to remove them, or left of their own accord.

So he wanted some stability with Garrett. He was desperate for it. He wanted a redux with Gailey. He wanted to follow the example of the patience with early Lanrdy. He wanted to be the anti-Jerry. The guy that didn't terminate Switzer/Gailey/Campo in quick succession.

He messed up. He doubled down on trying not to mess up by messing up again and backing Garrett.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Aaron Rodgers doesn't want Garrett fired .. :D

TWOK11

Reaction score
Because there’s a big difference between 9-7 with second year Dak Prescott and 4-8 with arguably tGOAT quarterback in his prime.

The fact remains that Jason Garrett has had ONE real clunker of a season, and it was when he had to play a combination of Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassell and Kellen Moore for 15 games.