Why are the standards for this franchise so low?

dckid

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

Where did this franchise go wrong? :facepalm:
All four of these coaches deserved to be fired other than Reid. ( Garrett should have been gone also).
Jerry is just Jerry what can you say?

dckid

Reaction score
Winning in this league is hard. You try and make your team competitive every year and hope you eventually catch lightening in a bottle. The days of dynasty building are over.

Garrett has this team competing for the division every year.
Unless you are the Patriots, Steelers, Seattle.

dfense

Reaction score
Yup,

Philly has a bright offensive minded coach. Will be 2 games behind the Cowboys in the division after sunday.
Giants have a bright offensive minded coach. Are way behind the Cowboys in the division with no hopes of a playoff berth.
Packers are drifting, no direction, 8 years since their last SB appearance with the $100 million temper-mental Arron Rodgers tied around their neck.
And then there's the Cowboys. 1st place in their division, controlling their own destiny, getting hot heading into December.
Who would you rather be?

dckid

Reaction score
The Steelers haven’t won a SB in 11 years, the Seahawks in 5 years. Neither has won more than 1 in the last 13 years.

Steelers have been in the playoffs and competing for a SB almost every year over the past 12-15 years. I'm not asking Dallas to win a SB every year. I want us to be respectable and be in the mix every year like good organizations do.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
0895186001452624135_filepicker.jpg

dckid

Reaction score
Yup,

Philly has a bright offensive minded coach. Will be 2 games behind the Cowboys in the division after sunday.
Giants have a bright offensive minded coach. Are way behind the Cowboys in the division with no hopes of a playoff berth.
Packers are drifting, no direction, 8 years since their last SB appearance with the $100 million temper-mental Arron Rodgers tied around their neck.
And then there's the Cowboys. 1st place in their division, controlling their own destiny, getting hot heading into December.
Who would you rather be?

It's very easy to be a prisoner of the moment. Last December every zone member would have wanted to be the Eagles. Lets be honest with our selves , over the past 20 years the Eagles have been the much better organization. Andy Reid was super successful in his run with Philly, its not always going to translate to a SB, but at least they were taking the right approach.
I credit the front office for the improvement in the draft over the past few years, but come on 2 playoff wins since 1997, digest that for a moment. 1997

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

where did this franchise go wrong you ask....when Jones bought the team and then fired Johnson.....its been the same ever since.....

kskboys

Reaction score

Tell me you didn't just now realize this.

links18

Reaction score

Its about comfort in Dallas.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Mike McCarty "ran out of town".... we'll see how good a move that is. Easy to blame coaching. That will show up in the Packers play in 2019 and moving forward. See the Raiders and Lions and teams with new HC's in 2018

Tom Coughlin… we know how good a move that was. See the Giants record since. Sheli lost his mentor

Andy Reid nestled softly in KC and has accomplished more there than the Iggles have since in playoff appearances. Good move by the Iggs? debateable

Would say this, when the locker room is a mess, when the HC looses control AND when the team is no longer playing well for him, it's time to move on from the HC. See Wade Phillips. That is not the case for JG. Apparently we need more disgruntled players and locker room problems :rolleyes:.

Fact: in spite of losing starting and back up QB's in 2016, in spite of the crap show with Zeke in 2017and despite the 3-5 start in 2018 we have a record of 29-14 over those 3 years (so far), a playoff game in 2016 where we lost by a Rogers magic act and headed towards the playoffs in 2018. I would say the team is playing well for their HC. seemingly to your dissatisfaction. JMO. In sports the HC or manager is always the scapegoat when the teams they coach don't play well. Some times that is the case and some times it is not.

The examples you sited would suggest that two of the teams teams may have been better served to keep their HC's because their success has not been great since they were "run out of town". I know you will bring up the Iggles SB win but man, that's one year of success since the exit of Andy Reid. I'm thinking the Jags and Chiefs are reasonably happy with both Coughlin and Reid. Some team will get a good HC in McCarthy too. The question is, will the Packers reap the benefits of a new HC in 2019 or will another team reap the benefits of them running McCarthy "out of town"

So no team should ever fire there head coach or you'll end up like the Rams or the Eagles right? Gotcha

birdwells1

Reaction score
Well, circumstances often dictate the end result. Coaches are generally fired once it is deemed that they LOST the team (or at least one its major players in the case of McCarthy). Criticize Garrett all you want but that has not really happened to him since he's been here. And frankly, I'd say getting the team to believe and play hard is at least 80% of the responsibility.

Uh.....how about when his team has lost games, this is still a bottom line business. Playing hard and loving playing for the coach does not necessarily add up to winning.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I have to wonder why people still have to complain when we just beat a 10-1 "super power" and are on a 4 game winning streak taking the lead in our division.

Because we want to win the super bowl and don't value the regular season super bowl that was won last Thursday.

morat1959

Reaction score
Yup,

Who would you rather be?
How many times have they “controlled their own destiny”, with the clapper at the helm and did any

This face literally makes me want to puke every time I see it.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
So no team should ever fire there head coach or you'll end up like the Rams or the Eagles right? Gotcha

Not what I said at all. What I said was, changing HC's sometimes works out better for the HC who was "run out of town" than the team who ran him out. Yes let's use the Eagles as an example, perfect. Since Andy Reid, the Gals have been to the playoffs twice in 5 years and at 6-6 this year, still have an outside shot as do the Cowboys with the miserable coaching of JG:rolleyes:. Granted the Gals caught lightning in a bottle with Foles as BU last year. He outplayed Wentz the starter and that rarely happens. It seemed that Pederson could do no wrong. That same group looks pedestrian this year. Between Reid and Pederson there was a HC named Chip. He failed miserably for 3 years.

Reid? Went on to KC and his teams have been in the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and this year will make it 5 out of 6. I suppose the Gals fans have been mollified by one year of success out of five. Possibly, 1 out of six after this year. Wouldn't you be? Good coaches don't exactly grow on trees. Ask the Gals fans.

Of course, when the players quit on the HC, when they don't buy in, when they lose respect, when there is locker room turmoil and grumbling, fire the HC. When that happens with the Cowboys let me know and bye bye simply red