Why are the standards for this franchise so low?

jsb357

Reaction score

birdwells1

Reaction score
There should be in no way that Garrett should have been our OC and our head coach.

Everyone wants to blame Jones for being a bad GM and owner. But he hired McCray and our drafting has gotten better.

Jerry even traded for Cooper and promoted Colombo. That's has turned out for the better.

AS for Garrett he hasn't done a thing to warrant getting an extension. He should be fired. He certainly is the worst coach in the NFL.

Don't give Columbo too much credit, the connor williams injury putting him on the bench had more to do with it than him imo.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I haven’t read every post in this thread but I think people here are overestimating Mike McCarthy.

If you think Dallas’ offense is underperforming, this Packers offense has one of the GOAT QBs and can’t score points. They’re miserably bad. And I understand Rodgers is underperforming but he’s still an elite QB.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Uh.....how about when his team has lost games, this is still a bottom line business. Playing hard and loving playing for the coach does not necessarily add up to winning.
So Jason Garrett is 16 games over .500. I mean, I understand the complaints and he certainly has not gotten it done in the playoffs, but he's winning games. Let's not misconstrue the facts here.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Because there’s a big difference between 9-7 with second year Dak Prescott and 4-8 with arguably tGOAT quarterback in his prime.

The fact remains that Jason Garrett has had ONE real clunker of a season, and it was when he had to play a combination of Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassell and Kellen Moore for 15 games.

If you don't make the playoffs your season was a clunker.

birdwells1

Reaction score
So Jason Garrett is 16 games over .500. I mean, I understand the complaints and he certainly has not gotten it done in the playoffs, but he's winning games. Let's not misconstrue the facts here.

So if he goes 9-7 for 10 more years and doesn't make the NFCCG you ok with that? If not then when do you say enough is enough? You post is what this thread is about, lowering standards. Winning Super Bowls used to be what the Cowboys were about not just winning games.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Still not an excuse to keep Garrett around for so long. Garrett is the worst thing that happened to the Cowboys.

I agree. I was offering less an excuse than the best explanation given the circumstances.

Jerry has a tendency to over correct and compound mistakes by making a worse mistake to try to fix it.

droopdog7

Reaction score
So if he goes 9-7 for 10 more years and doesn't make the NFCCG you ok with that? If not then when do you say enough is enough? You post is what this thread is about, lowering standards. Winning Super Bowls used to be what the Cowboys were about not just winning games.
I'm sorry, is that what has happened? Are we not in the middle of fighting for a playoff spot like, RIGHT NOW? My issue is that too many people worried about how they can get the damn coach fired instead of supporting the team.

It's really simple. It will all play out in the end. No sense whatsoever in worrying about anything but Cowboys games and Cowboy wins.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Coaches lose their jobs when they don't get results. Plenty of coaches have lost their job while maintaining the locker room. This is another example of the bar being lowered.

Absolutely the worst thing Wade did was bring about the notion of "the players haven't quit on Garrett", that's the minimum expected from a pro athlete and we want to give credit to JG for that.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I'm sorry, is that what has happened? Are we not in the middle of fighting for a playoff spot like, RIGHT NOW? My issue is that too many people worried about how they can get the damn coach fired instead of supporting the team.

It's really simple. It will all play out in the end. No sense whatsoever in worrying about anything but Cowboys games and Cowboy wins.

Naw we worry about winning super bowls and no coach that been around as long as Garrett has ever done it and some of us don't think he possess the ability to do it and we are just spinning our wheels and wasting our talent. You have big picture thinkers (winning super bowls) and you have small picture thinkers (winning regular season super bowls) to each his own i guess.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Yup,

Philly has a bright offensive minded coach. Will be 2 games behind the Cowboys in the division after sunday.
Giants have a bright offensive minded coach. Are way behind the Cowboys in the division with no hopes of a playoff berth.
Packers are drifting, no direction, 8 years since their last SB appearance with the $100 million temper-mental Arron Rodgers tied around their neck.
And then there's the Cowboys. 1st place in their division, controlling their own destiny, getting hot heading into December.
Who would you rather be?

All have won a super bowl since we've last been to the NFCCG.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Of course, when the players quit on the HC, when they don't buy in, when they lose respect, when there is locker room turmoil and grumbling, fire the HC. When that happens with the Cowboys let me know and bye bye simply red

I'll just sit this right here.

Absolutely the worst thing Wade did was bring about the notion of "the players haven't quit on Garrett", that's the minimum expected from a pro athlete and we want to give credit to JG for that.

GenoT

Reaction score
Why are the standards set so low? Two reasons:

1) Jerry still believes he can steer this team to a Super Bowl win while acting as his own GM.

2) For whatever reasons (?), the paying customers are okay with this.

elcowboi

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

Where did this franchise go wrong? :facepalm:

They said, "What can we do to make Zordon mad?" One person spoke up, and said "I know, let's keep Garrett." At least they thought about you!!!!!!!!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don't give Columbo too much credit, the connor williams injury putting him on the bench had more to do with it than him imo.
Columbo switched back to a man blocking zone from a zone one. It really helped Collins a lot and det fit the new LG.
All that said the new LG is banged up now and not 100% so it wouldn't surprise me to see them go back to CWill.
Whoever gets the call, Fletcher Cox is always a tall order.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
All have won a super bowl since we've last been to the NFCCG.
So what?
That has zero to do with who will win one next.
Makes same difference as us having 5 SBs has on this season.

It is about the next game.
Dallas has won 4 next games in a row.
Perhaps stop crying long enough to enjoy that?

droopdog7

Reaction score
Naw we worry about winning super bowls and no coach that been around as long as Garrett has ever done it and some of us don't think he possess the ability to do it and we are just spinning our wheels and wasting our talent. You have big picture thinkers (winning super bowls) and you have small picture thinkers (winning regular season super bowls) to each his own i guess.
You sure about that? Let me help you. That's wrong.

Anyway, what's this magical plan you envision for finding a coach capable of winning the Superbowl? Don't tell me, I'm guessing you mean to use the typical fan approach; heck, this ain't working so let's try that other thing that we have not yet tried. That will surely be better than we we're doing now.

Or, is it the one where you think a wizard offensive genius will turn Dak into Joe friggen Montana? Or perhaps you want the yell and scream guy that doesn't take any stuff from anyone?

None of that stuff matters. Have a vision, get the guys to buy in and play hard, and see what happens. That's the job of the coach and Garrett does that well. He is an elite leader.

Zordon

Reaction score
Columbo switched back to a man blocking zone from a zone one. It really helped Collins a lot and det fit the new LG.
All that said the new LG is banged up now and not 100% so it wouldn't surprise me to see them go back to CWill.
Whoever gets the call, Fletcher Cox is always a tall order.
an argument could be made that if the cowboys moved up to draft cox instead of claiborne that we'd have at least an NFC title right now. he's that good.