Why are there guaranteed contracts?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I agree, but there has to be clear goals that are agreed upon. Team may want something more from their QB, but the QB may be like "but look at mah completions, tops in game...while being check down charlie"

I'm all for incentive based contracts though the cap would have to be removed for this to be possible, especially if a team has a powerhouse team where so many players play beyond the norm for that season. Incentive based contracts could allow every player to earn more than the next guy and you wouldn't have guys holding out or being greedy with their contracts. Play well for that season, you're going to get paid. And it keeps teams from overpaying long term. But the downside is that injuries and removed players would whine about "not having a safety net".
I also think there should be something in there with regard to injuries. That protects both parties.

Contract amounts are getting nuts.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Every contract should be performance based. Period.

Can we do the same for owners? I see no one raising issues with these owners collecting hundreds of millions every year for doing nothing at all. Coaches, too.

Reactions: G2

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I also think there should be something in there with regard to injuries. That protects both parties.

No they aren't. Have you seen what owners and TV networks, advertisers are bringing home? But yeah, let's keep focusing on the players who actually make the league popular who deserved to get paid.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Actually I think there is already the "injury buyout" clause included in all these big contracts these days. I have not seen one in person but most any time a guy suffers a career or season ending injury there is always mention of their being given an "injury settlement" .. Typically the amount is sort of glossed over but I have to believe that both sides have to agree on it at contract signing time. And contracts are only going to get stupider. As long as the revenue keeps going up so will the dollars paid to the players. With all the hand wringing over declining TV ratings people hardly ever mention that the NFL is probably making up any losses with the streaming content services. Neilson just hasn't figured out how to factor those numbers into the "ratings" yet..

InTheZone

Reaction score
Can we do the same for owners? I see no one raising issues with these owners collecting hundreds of millions every year for doing nothing at all. Coaches, too.
owners? really?....

coaches and gms yes, owners lol

Flamma

Reaction score
who started this "Guaranteed Contract " BS buisness? . It is ruining many teams and destroys the cap when these players tank or get hurt . Not to mention how lackadaisical most of the players become once they have 50-100 million guaranteed in the pocket. Cowboys have had their share indeed.
I would think a GM / Coach would have much more leverage with short term contracts with no guarantees.

I wonder if the successful franchises avoid such contracts. Not sure if there was any analysis or correlation on this.

The Steelers pay a lot of their players with only the signing bonus being guaranteed. Check it out on Spotrac. It's not all of the contracts, but most of them are like that or close to it. Meaning, you pretty much have to live up to expectations or they can cut you any time.

I think that's the reason RB Bell refused their offer. He was offered 5 years 75 million. The only guarantee was a 10 million dollar signing bonus. The other 65 Mil spread out over 5 years he'd have to earn. He didn't like that. But the Steelers made the right choice IMO.

basel90

Reaction score
The Steelers pay a lot of their players with only the signing bonus being guaranteed. Check it out on Spotrac. It's not all of the contracts, but most of them are like that or close to it. Meaning, you pretty much have to live up to expectations or they can cut you any time.

I think that's the reason RB Bell refused their offer. He was offered 5 years 75 million. The only guarantee was a 10 million dollar signing bonus. The other 65 Mil spread out over 5 years he'd have to earn. He didn't like that. But the Steelers made the right choice IMO.
Sounds very logical . Why can’t the Cowboys do the same ?

Flamma

Reaction score
Sounds very logical . Why can’t the Cowboys do the same ?

Why don't a lot of teams do the same? But I do notice the Cowboys are a bit more generous with their contracts in regards to structure. They trust that the player will respond in kind. Kind of like, I got your back, now you have mine. As opposed to the Steelers where they take the Russian approach, trust but verify. We'll give you a good contract, but you'll have to live up to it if you want to be a Steeler. And I have to admit, the Steelers are a well run organization.

Another reason may be that Jerry is afraid of losing the player. It's that simple. Give Elliott the exact same contract with only the signing bonus being guaranteed, would he have accepted that? I think not. But I think that's the approach you have to do with RBs. Or let them go elsewhere and rob some other team.

basel90

Reaction score
Why don't a lot of teams do the same? But I do notice the Cowboys are a bit more generous with their contracts in regards to structure. They trust that the player will respond in kind. Kind of like, I got your back, now you have mine. As opposed to the Steelers where they take the Russian approach, trust but verify. We'll give you a good contract, but you'll have to live up to it if you want to be a Steeler. And I have to admit, the Steelers are a well run organization.

Another reason may be that Jerry is afraid of losing the player. It's that simple. Give Elliott the exact same contract with only the signing bonus being guaranteed, would he have accepted that? I think not. But I think that's the approach you have to do with RBs. Or let them go elsewhere and rob some other team.
The steelers approach makes much more sense and the results show it. Agree with you jerry is stubborn about his picks and likes to keep them . The prospect of losing a player for money and having that player excell outside the cowboys organization makes him very uncomfortable.