Why are we running a 3-4 if Dlaw cant get pressure

Praxit

Reaction score
...to me Dlaw is just not strong enough to take lineman straight on. He needs speed moves and whatever else techniques to improve himself.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Tank had 4 pressures against the Rams when they were getting the ball away quickly. All the guys had issues in this ATL game plus Tank got injured early.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like we are neutralizing our best past rush. Dlaw isn't a speed guy.

Watch the first 2 snaps of the game and it demonstrates one of the advantages of having the DEs standing up.
- DLaw made the tackle on both plays but likely would have been a step or two short of making the tackle if he had his hand down.

Most of the plays where you see DLaw standing up, they are not in a 3-4.

In the Falcons games they most often played a 4-3 but with the DEs standing up.
- Sometimes just 1 of the DEs would stand up.

They do play snaps in the 3-4 but they do it on run downs when DLaw is far less likely to be rushing the passer.

I think the DEs have the choice to some extent on standing up or not. Griffen did both but had his hand down much more often than DLaw did.

The primary reasons for having the DEs standing up:
- Better for run defense, especially outside runs and QB runs to the outside.
- They can give the DE outside contain responsibility on wide outside runs instead of having the CB come off of coverage to support the outside run.
- They have the option to drop the DE into a short zone on zone blitzes (i.e. Less predictable blitzes).
- It also helps when QBs roll out before passing. The DE sees it early and is a step ahead of where he would be if he started with his hand down.