Why Blockbuster Trades Are Suddenly a Thing in the NFL (Cowboys featured)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I've tossed that thought around in my head a bit, weighing the pros and cons.

In terms of physical talent, I think they're close overall.

In terms of play making ability? It's Ramsey.

In terms of character? It's Jones.

I think if you did think about trading for Ramsey, you HAVE to agree to an extension that makes him the league's highest paid cornerback. And then worry about whether that will be enough to keep him happy.

If you think about keeping Jones, I think you can get away with paying him a bit less because he's a team guy that genuinely wants to be here.

I think given the high stakes, I would play this one safe, keep next year's 1st rounder, and keep Jones for a bit less money.

How about you?

IDK.......If the pick is only a 1st, that's likely 2nd value for us. So if the money/deal is between the two ( guessing $2-3M), I'm inclined to go with Ramsey. I think his impact affects not only the secondary but entire team coz he's an alpha dog, in the same mold as Deion Sanders, Haley, Michael Irvin.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Byron was really good last year.

The 0 catches for Michael Thomas was just unbelievable and shows what he is capable of as a corner.

I'd rather keep my 1 and not deal with a headcase because even if Ramsey is better I don't think he is so good that it's worth losing a 1 and dealing with his dramatics.
I wouldn't give byron a contract any longer than 3 years. Once his athletic ability slips even the tiniest bit he will start getting exposed.

GenoT

Reaction score
My guess is, bottom-feeder teams are willing to move assets and contracts, possibly in order to tank, while teams with aspirations of contending are looking for those 1-2 players who might put them over the top.

Something to consider...

When a loose-cannon wacko like Chucky Gruden receives a $100mil fully-guaranteed contract from the spawn of Al Davis, the status quo will be a-changin’.

JBond

Reaction score
My guess is, bottom-feeder teams are willing to move assets and contracts, possibly in order to tank, while teams with aspirations of contending are looking for those 1-2 players who might put them over the top.

Something to consider...

When a loose-cannon wacko like Chucky Gruden receives a $100mil fully-guaranteed contract from the spawn of Al Davis, the status quo will be a-changin’.
I was all in on Gruden as the Cowboys head coach... disliked the Clapper immensely.

So... maybe I made an error in judgement. A bit of a loose cannon, but time will tell the tale.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Would you trade Byron and a future 1 for Jalen? Jalen is most definitely the better player, but Bryon has never missed a start and is a great teammate on and off the field. Both are going to get paid, I would make this deal though, as Ramsey is an elite player at the position, where I don't view Jones as.

Yes, I would be inclined. Like I said earlier, Ramsey is an alpha dog transcends a mentality/attitude not just to the secondary but the entire team. The 1st doesn't bother me coz it's carrying an early 2nd value for us. So yea, I'd do it......

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, I would be inclined. Like I said earlier, Ramsey is an alpha dog transcends a mentality/attitude not just to the secondary but the entire team. The 1st doesn't bother me coz it's carrying an early 2nd value for us. So yea, I'd do it......
We have witnessed Bryon's lack of ball and tackle skills throughout his career. It's a no brainer to me, although Garrett struggles with red flag character type players. I really don't think Richard would have an issue coaching him up. If an elite player every becomes available, any team needs to look hard about making such a bold move. Many didn't like the Cooper trade at the time, but that was a huge success for this team.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We have witnessed Bryon's lack of ball and tackle skills throughout his career. It's a no brainer to me, although Garrett struggles with red flag character type players. I really don't think Richard would have an issue coaching him up. If an elite player every becomes available, any team needs to look hard about making such a bold move. Many didn't like the Cooper trade at the time, but that was a huge success for this team.

Exactly and to be honest, a closer look at this kid it's not we're talking lawlessness or dogging it. His only issue is running his mouth a little too much but we've seen that with many former Cowboy players. Just me, but I would think with Ramsey are legit SB contender.

GenoT

Reaction score
I was all in on Gruden as the Cowboys head coach... disliked the Clapper immensely.

So... maybe I made an error in judgement. A bit of a loose cannon, but time will tell the tale.
Gruden + Mark Davis will definitely be a wild ride.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That sounds great for 1st round picks. But there is no measurement that makes some players very underpaid fair. For instance, Dak Prescott has significantly outplayed his rookie deal.
And he will get rewarded and then some. The hard work pays off.

HanD

Reaction score
I get a whole lot of Deion Sanders in Ramsey. For better and for worse. And given the way Deion defends him, I think Deion does as well.

but with JUST a bit more tackling ;)

yeah deion gives him advice from time to time. both FSU boys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but with JUST a bit more tackling ;)

yeah deion gives him advice from time to time. both FSU boys.

It's an intriguing hypothetical to think about isn't it?

Say you could trade Byron Jones and next year's 1st rounder for Ramsey.

A high price to pay for sure, especially having to then set the cornerback market to pay Ramsey.

But you'd then have arguably the best corner in the game, young, healthy, and locked up for a several year run.

Conversely, if you paid Jones instead, you'd also have a very good cornerback (though not much of a playmaker thus far), AND you would still have that 1st round pick next year.

If they can actually afford either move, it's an interesting possibility.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good question why not trade Jones and a second for Ramsey?
I think this would be an very attractive offer, but they probably would seek more. Hearing they are looking for a Tunsil/Mack type of return.

Flamma

Reaction score
Interesting a few posters have been saying how some trades can have more value than draft picks.
Why Blockbuster Trades Are Suddenly a Thing in the NFL

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/19/t...inkah-fitzpatrick-laremy-tunsil-antonio-brown

Cowboys COO Stephen Jones joked just before the draft in April that when the Raiders were on the clock with the 24th pick, he and his staff would kick their feet up and flip on an Amari Cooper highlight reel, as a reminder of what happened to their selection. Little did he know that a half-hour after it came and went—Oakland took Josh Jacobs in Dallas’s slot—the hypothetical scene he described was playing out for real, about a thousand miles away.

Here's another quote from the article....

"Dallas, took it another step and studied the kind of receiver it would get in the 20s, and figured Cooper was a safer play than Hollywood Brown or N’Keal Harry or Deebo Samuel."

I agree. The thing is, without Cooper the Cowboys wouldn't be picking in the 20s.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
These players are getting out of contracts early because they want to go get more money after collecting there guaranteed money. And the teams are trying to get everything they can for these players. It’s fair I guess. I do think that the team and players should both honor the rookie deal.
screw that.... it was the PLAYERS that wanted these rookie structures in place.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This article points to the future and makes great points. I think I would follow this new trend if I had a good playoff caliber team I knew would be drafting in the mid 20s or higher. As long as that was the case, I’d be looking to deal next year’s 1st for a proven player at a position of need that had at least two years of control remaining after the current year. If that opportunity arose, I would do it every time. It makes you better for the current year and you get a proven player over a less than 50/50 guy in the late 1st round. Obviously, the player would have to be the right player at the right position. It would have to be someone I thought would help us make a better run at a super bowl. I’d take that shot every time and remove the risk of drafting the next Taco.
you cant keep getting players that are at the end of rookie deals. Rookie deals is how you keep the cap under control.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Would you trade Byron and a future 1 for Jalen? Jalen is most definitely the better player, but Bryon has never missed a start and is a great teammate on and off the field. Both are going to get paid, I would make this deal though, as Ramsey is an elite player at the position, where I don't view Jones as.
This is what irks me. Why couldn't we trade for Ramsey and still sign both him and Jones? The idea we couldn't sign both is what? Oh it'd be too expensive? Looks at 90MM inefficient RB and screams into the void.