Why Blockbuster Trades Are Suddenly a Thing in the NFL (Cowboys featured)

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We are loaded at corner, we need another SS and a 1-Tech to set this defense off....

HanD

Reaction score
It's an intriguing hypothetical to think about isn't it?

Say you could trade Byron Jones and next year's 1st rounder for Ramsey.

A high price to pay for sure, especially having to then set the cornerback market to pay Ramsey.

But you'd then have arguably the best corner in the game, young, healthy, and locked up for a several year run.

Conversely, if you paid Jones instead, you'd also have a very good cornerback (though not much of a playmaker thus far), AND you would still have that 1st round pick next year.

If they can actually afford either move, it's an interesting possibility.

it is interesting. i wonder if they've had exploratory conversation with byron and know about how much he wants and how much difference that will be versus paying ramsey.

i'm all for difference makers but there has to be a point where you balance that with depth right?

i'd do it for byron and a 2nd but probably not byron and the 1st.

Ron12

Reaction score
What the hell kind of blockbuster trades are you talking about?????????????????????:huh:

J-man

Reaction score
Trade for Jalen Ramsey. Start Ramsey and Awuzie then trade Byron to the Jets for Adams....Defense Elite

That maybe true, but you could never afford to pay him what he is going to get. Not with keeping everyone else worth while, like Lewis, Awuzia and Adams.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it is interesting. i wonder if they've had exploratory conversation with byron and know about how much he wants and how much difference that will be versus paying ramsey.

i'm all for difference makers but there has to be a point where you balance that with depth right?

i'd do it for byron and a 2nd but probably not byron and the 1st.

I'm torn to be perfectly honest. The talent and playmaking of Ramsey is enticing, but the character stability and cost of Jones is a strong well.

giphy.gif

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is what irks me. Why couldn't we trade for Ramsey and still sign both him and Jones? The idea we couldn't sign both is what? Oh it'd be too expensive? Looks at 90MM inefficient RB and screams into the void.
You aren't going to pay two CB's top dollars at the position.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
You aren't going to pay two CB's top dollars at the position.
Why exactly?

Stopping the pass is the single most important thing a defense can do. Why would you think allocating money to a RB instead of an additional elite CB is Pareto efficient?

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I've tossed that thought around in my head a bit, weighing the pros and cons.

In terms of physical talent, I think they're close overall.

In terms of play making ability? It's Ramsey.

In terms of character? It's Jones.

I think if you did think about trading for Ramsey, you HAVE to agree to an extension that makes him the league's highest paid cornerback. And then worry about whether that will be enough to keep him happy.

If you think about keeping Jones, I think you can get away with paying him a bit less because he's a team guy that genuinely wants to be here.

I think given the high stakes, I would play this one safe, keep next year's 1st rounder, and keep Jones for a bit less money.

How about you?
I'd keep neither - Cant get JR and pay top CB money - same with Jones, he just doesnt get enough INTs.
And if we have enough cap space to pay Jones - I'd rather send it on the trenches.
We don't know what Quinn has left and might be a one year rental and we still need help inside.
I don't care who you got in the secondary - you don't beat a Brady or Mahomes for that matter, without
PRESSURE.

irishline

Reaction score
Here's another quote from the article....

"Dallas, took it another step and studied the kind of receiver it would get in the 20s, and figured Cooper was a safer play than Hollywood Brown or N’Keal Harry or Deebo Samuel."

I agree. The thing is, without Cooper the Cowboys wouldn't be picking in the 20s.

Brown was the first receiver taken at 25, so if we were looking to upgrade that position it wouldn't have mattered those still would have been the choices. We could have used that pick on something else since it would have been higher, but then there would be no WR upgrade really.

Not sure what I would have done (given what i mentioned above) but if they were determined to upgrade wide receiver Cooper was probably the right decision.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd keep neither - Cant get JR and pay top CB money - same with Jones, he just doesnt get enough INTs.
And if we have enough cap space to pay Jones - I'd rather send it on the trenches.
We don't know what Quinn has left and might be a one year rental and we still need help inside.
I don't care who you got in the secondary - you don't beat a Brady or Mahomes for that matter, without
PRESSURE.

Who are you going to pay "in the trenches"?
:huh:

I'm not disagreeing with your premise out of hand, I'm just asking for details?

garyo1954

Reaction score
"Blockbuster?" Nah.

Aaron Rogers to New Orleans for anything. That's blockbuster.
Melvin Gordon to Philly for Fletcher Cox and a 2nd. That's blockbuster.
Mariota to the Jets? Who cares?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
you cant keep getting players that are at the end of rookie deals. Rookie deals is how you keep the cap under control.

That’s why I said they must have two years of control remaining beyond the current year and it’s only when you have a very good team and will be drafting in the mid to late 20’s anyway. I understand you’re giving away 2 years of cheap control but those are the rookie and 2nd season. Now you have inexpensive years 3.5-5 of a proven NFL player at a position of need that can help you win right now and for the next two years. All that for the cost of a 50/50 or less gamble on a college kid that slides into the late 1st round. In the years when I’m legitimately competing for the Super Bowl, I’d do that every time if the right player was available. Wouldn’t even think twice.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
PRESSURE.

This is true but it's hard to beat any mid-top tier QB w/o pressure. Read a post-draft tweet from a GM explaining decision to use a high on CB........as he put it, his coach counted 6-7 sacks his DE left on the field if his CB could have covered receivers another 1.5 seconds. So yea pressure is good but CBs ability to cover receivers matters also.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I think player movement is happening (Antonio Brown, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Jalen Ramsey) because these guys are watching the NBA. They see what Russell Westbrook, Anthony Davis, and Paul George did. They want to have the freedom to do what they want to do. I can't blame any of the three for not wanting to play in Oakland, Miami, or Jacksonville. The whole "honor your contract" talk is nonsense. Teams let go of players all the time! Dallas just did it the other day-and for good reason!!!

garyo1954

Reaction score
I think player movement is happening (Antonio Brown, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Jalen Ramsey) because these guys are watching the NBA. They see what Russell Westbrook, Anthony Davis, and Paul George did. They want to have the freedom to do what they want to do. I can't blame any of the three for not wanting to play in Oakland, Miami, or Jacksonville. The whole "honor your contract" talk is nonsense. Teams let go of players all the time! Dallas just did it the other day-and for good reason!!!

I agree. But they haven't thought it through. That idea won't work in the NFL. No team has the money to acquire all the best talent with the cap in place.

If it ever comes to that, I'd expect everybody signs a one year contract, and goes back into the draft pool each year. Players wouldn't want that either.

risco

Reaction score
These players are getting out of contracts early because they want to go get more money after collecting there guaranteed money. And the teams are trying to get everything they can for these players. It’s fair I guess. I do think that the team and players should both honor the rookie deal.
Teams will adjust- but the love of winning will make an owner do weird things.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I agree. But they haven't thought it through. That idea won't work in the NFL. No team has the money to acquire all the best talent with the cap in place.

If it ever comes to that, I'd expect everybody signs a one year contract, and goes back into the draft pool each year. Players wouldn't want that either.
Yup. In the NBA Super Teams work because there are only 5 players on the court at one time. You won't have enough depth though.

Dak2Cooper

Reaction score
We have 90 mil going into the offseason correct? We could front load Ramseys contract and back load any pass rushing free agent we seek to acquire. The cap can be manipulated. That's not the question.