News: Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/02/22/dallas-cowboys-family-business-prevents-winning-titles/

Because owner and general manager Jerry Jones treats the Dallas Cowboys as a family business, that fact limits the team’s chances for success.
The Dallas Cowboys biggest obstacle to a championship is ownership by the Jones’ family. In a recent article, I discussed how Jerry Jones’ multiple roles as owner, president and general manager makes him inefficient at doing each job.

Jerry Jones’ son, John Stephen Jones, is the executive vice president, chief executive officer (CEO) and director of player personnel. Jerry Jones Jr. and Charlotte Jones Anderson are also listed as executive vice presidents. Unfortunately, being family doesn’t make you the right person for the job.

The Cowboys aren’t the only family owned NFL team and as a family man, I understand giving your children prominent roles in the business. If I owned a business, I would want my immediate family heavily involved. After all, we’re talking about establishing our legacy and taking care of future generations.

Just because my little sister made a few hundred flyers for a bake sale, that doesn’t mean that she should be in charge of my marketing department. If my cousin knows a guy with a truck, it doesn’t mean he should be in charge of logistics. It might be necessary in the beginning to give roles to family. As the business grows, you should hire more qualified people...

Sydla

Reaction score
They simply don't have enough football people in place, especially in positions that can influence coaching decisions and player personnel decisions.

In the end, Jerry and Stephen make the calls on coaches and players and they've shown they let unimportant matters, such as loyalty, play too big a role in the decision making process.

This franchise needs, cold, calculating football people making the necessary decisions. Not guys whose wives will be disappointed you just fired their good friend's husband as head coach, for example.

CCBoy

Reaction score
They simply don't have enough football people in place, especially in positions that can influence coaching decisions and player personnel decisions.

In the end, Jerry and Stephen make the calls on coaches and players and they've shown they let unimportant matters, such as loyalty, play too big a role in the decision making process.

This franchise needs, cold, calculating football people making the necessary decisions. Not guys whose wives will be disappointed you just fired their good friend's husband as head coach, for example.

The current scouting department has to be given high grade recognition as to how they integrate with staff and come up with a strong directional influx of personnel.

Now, Stephen and the staff needs to add an element of current reflection to potential change in free agency as well. Not much more than negative cash flow results in outside franchise free agent acquisition.

This could be described as system dysfunction on being here now and playing for all the marbles from season to season...

fansince68

Reaction score
The current scouting department has to be given high grade recognition as to how they integrate with staff and come up with a strong directional influx of personnel.

Now, Stephen and the staff needs to add an element of current reflection to potential change in free agency as well. Not much more than negative cash flow results in outside franchise free agent acquisition.

This could be described as system dysfunction on being here now and playing for all the marbles from season to season...
Did the scouting dept have anything to do with that poor selection of free agents last season? We got 0 return on our investment.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry Jones once said that “Jerry Jones the Owner” would have fired “Jerry Jones the General Manager”.

Jerry would rather make football decisions and accept what comes from it (even losing) than delegate that responsibility to an employee and demand winning. So either "Jerry Jones the General Manager" gets a lot smarter or Cowboys fans get used to not competing for titles, because it's not going to change. Therein lies the flaw.

rags747

Reaction score
I'm not buying it. If anything it is the ultimate setup.

bandfan

Reaction score
Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/02/22/dallas-cowboys-family-business-prevents-winning-titles/

Because owner and general manager Jerry Jones treats the Dallas Cowboys as a family business, that fact limits the team’s chances for success.
The Dallas Cowboys biggest obstacle to a championship is ownership by the Jones’ family. In a recent article, I discussed how Jerry Jones’ multiple roles as owner, president and general manager makes him inefficient at doing each job.

Jerry Jones’ son, John Stephen Jones, is the executive vice president, chief executive officer (CEO) and director of player personnel. Jerry Jones Jr. and Charlotte Jones Anderson are also listed as executive vice presidents. Unfortunately, being family doesn’t make you the right person for the job.

The Cowboys aren’t the only family owned NFL team and as a family man, I understand giving your children prominent roles in the business. If I owned a business, I would want my immediate family heavily involved. After all, we’re talking about establishing our legacy and taking care of future generations.

Just because my little sister made a few hundred flyers for a bake sale, that doesn’t mean that she should be in charge of my marketing department. If my cousin knows a guy with a truck, it doesn’t mean he should be in charge of logistics. It might be necessary in the beginning to give roles to family. As the business grows, you should hire more qualified people...

Jeez, I wonder if the franchise might finally be worth a few dollars if we hired a "qualified" marketing person? I don't know how they keep the doors open...

Dre11

Reaction score
I am tired of hearing about "football people" that is the biggest fallacy out there. When you have been intimately involved in the NFL for over 20 years, guess what, you are a football person.

How many times can this be liked. I've said this so many times

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Jerry and his boys all played College Football....... Jerry won a National Title...they all know the sport

They have owned the team for 3 decades and have 3 Super Bowl titles and have built a 5billion franchise.....they all know the business

The Joneses are a gigantic success story

cern

Reaction score
I am tired of hearing about "football people" that is the biggest fallacy out there. When you have been intimately involved in the NFL for over 20 years, guess what, you are a football person.
Lot of men in the navy. But few are seals. Galloway, Roy williams, pacman, hardy, gregory, kowalski, costa, livings, barber contract, arkin , et. Al. Would indicate 20 years hanging around NFL doesn't necessarily make one an NFL guy. At least when it comes to personnel decisions.

Reactions: BAT

Dre11

Reaction score
Lot of men in the navy. But few are seals. Galloway, Roy williams, pacman, hardy, gregory, kowalski, costa, livings, barber contract, arkin , et. Al. Would indicate 20 years hanging around NFL doesn't necessarily make one an NFL guy. At least when it comes to personnel decisions.

Now go look at the many so called football men in the league and you will see the same type of stuff. Plus Jerry hasn't been just hanging around the league, he been as much or more involved than most.