News: Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles

Dre11

Reaction score
Who said Jimmy did it all himself?

And I’ll ask again. Do you think the Cowboys have been well run since our last SB in 1995?

It’s a simple question.

At times yes it has, as with all teams you have some highs and low. To say the team has sucked or hasn't been run well since 95. Is an exaggeration. The Cowboys haven't sucked since 95.

Dre11

Reaction score
We had the 1st overall and wasted it on Walsh in the Supplemental Draft

We could have drafted HoFers Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau instead

getting those picks back from NO was not equal value

and then the draft guru traded several picks and players to move up and get Rocket Ismail....... but he signed with the CFL and we got stuck with Russell Maryland........OAK then got Ismail for a 6th round pick after 2 years

I agree, but it was Jimmy who wanted Walsh. It was his guy. It was dumb to draft Walsh in the first place.

cern

Reaction score
He did not pick Walsh to trade him, if he did , there was no reason to debate it with Jones which also says he didn't make the trade himself. My bet is Jones was the one who wanted to trade Walsh,since Jimmy was Walsh's former qb.

NEW YORK — Dallas quarterback Steve Walsh, who has been Troy Aikman's backup since both were drafted last year, was traded to New Orleans today for three draft picks.

The Cowboys' owner, Jerry Jones, said his team will receive the Saints' No. 1 and No. 3 choices in 1991 and a No. 2 pick in 1992. Jones said the No. 2 pick could be upgraded to a No. 1 if Walsh performs well for the Saints.

Walsh, who started five games last season when Aikman was injured, will compete for the starting job in New Orleans with John Fourcade, who has been erratic in the Saints' first three games.

The deal was concluded at NFL headquarters just before a meeting of league owners.

Cowboys Coach Jimmy Johnson said he and Jones debated until late last night whether to trade Walsh.

But, Johnson said, Aikman "is the best quarterback in the NFL, as far as I'm concerned, and will be the best for the long haul."
Jimmy drafted Walsh with the idea of trading him. No spin or revisionist history can change the fact. It could be that Jerry wanted to keep him and jimmy wanted the draft picks. Based on jerry's dealings since Jimmy left, and because I thought it was a smart move, I'm inclined to believe it was jimmy's idea that prevailed.

Sydla

Reaction score
At times yes it has, as with all teams you have some highs and low. To say the team has sucked or hasn't been run well since 95. Is an exaggeration. The Cowboys haven't sucked since 95.

Who said it sucked? We haven’t sucked but we certainly haven’t been well run.

They are in the bottom third of the league over that period in playoff appearances, playoff wins. That’s certainly not good unless you have blinders on.

At best, they’ve an average run organization. And that’s all on Jerry.

Dre11

Reaction score
Jimmy drafted Walsh with the idea of trading him. No spin or revisionist history can change the fact. It could be that Jerry wanted to keep him and jimmy wanted the draft picks. Based on jerry's dealings since Jimmy left, and because I thought it was a smart move, I'm inclined to believe it was jimmy's idea that prevailed.
No he did not. You're trying to spin it...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
Who said it sucked? We haven’t sucked but we certainly haven’t been well run.

They are in the bottom third of the league over that period in playoff appearances, playoff wins. That’s certainly not good unless you have blinders on.

At best, they’ve an average run organization. And that’s all on Jerry.

Playoffs isn't the only measure of success. The cowboys has been run just fine. They have underachieved, but they haven't been poorly run since 95

cern

Reaction score
No he did not. You're trying to spin it...lol
Jerry's record on his own since Jimmy left makes it easy to see the truth of the matter for the more astute among us. I don 't understand why some find the truth disturbing.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry's record on his own since Jimmy left makes it easy to see the truth of the matter for the more astute among us. I don 't understand why some find the truth disturbing.

Oh, that rings of IQ alright...

Dre11

Reaction score

Doesn't prove anything. There's no truth that's disturbing, it's your opinion

fansince68

Reaction score
As we've been told and lambasted for disagreeing with the notion that rings distinguishes qbs when it shouldn't ,it's a team sport, but we we're told that's just the way it is. Now, all of a sudden folks want to talk about team sport when it comes to the pro bowl selections. Well it's what distinguishes good players, it's just what it is. You're paying more for pro bowl players than you're paying for non pro bowl players.
Playoffs isn't the only measure of success. The cowboys has been run just fine. They have underachieved, but they haven't been poorly run since 95
"You Play To win The Game" that's what football is all about. We had an entire offensive line of "Pro Bowlers". We have nothing to show for it. Based on pro bowl selections our line is much better than Philly's. But Philly's line is loaded with super bowl champions. I bet our pro Bowlers would trade their selections to the squad any day of the week for a super bowl ring.

Reactions: BAT

Dre11

Reaction score
"You Play To win The Game" that's what football is all about. We had an entire offensive line of "Pro Bowlers". We have nothing to show for it. Based on pro bowl selections our line is much better than Philly's. But Philly's line is loaded with super bowl champions. I bet our pro Bowlers would trade their selections to the squad any day of the week for a super bowl ring.
Ok. Your point? That has to come together on the field doesn't mean the FO, doesnt know what they're doing.

Sydla

Reaction score

Playoff success is the only measure that matters. I mean that’s the whole point of winning regular season games...... make the playoffs and try to win a SB.

What good is winning 12 games a year if you bomb out of the playoffs each time?

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok. Your point? That has to come together on the field doesn't mean the FO, doesnt know what they're doing.

LOL.

So if the team doesn’t come together on the field whose fault is that? The coach?

Dre11

Reaction score
Playoff success is the only measure that matters. I mean that’s the whole point of winning regular season games...... make the playoffs and try to win a SB.

What good is winning 12 games a year if you bomb out of the playoffs each time?

What's the use in winning in the playoffs and not winning the superbowl? Nobody cares about second place right. So with your logic, anybody that doesn't win the superbowl, had an unsuccessful season.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL.

So if the team doesn’t come together on the field whose fault is that? The coach?

The players, There's been talented teams throughout the league that hasn't played well together. It's called team chemistry created by every player doing their jobs, and doing it consistently

Sydla

Reaction score
What's the use in winning in the playoffs and not winning the superbowl? Nobody cares about second place right. So with your logic, anybody that doesn't win the superbowl, had an unsuccessful season.

Great. We haven’t won a SB in 22 years. In that span 12 other teams have won SBs.

Job not well done by the Cowboys GM.

Sydla

Reaction score
The players, There's been talented teams throughout the league that hasn't played well together. It's called team chemistry created by every player doing their jobs, and doing it consistently

Hahaha.

So for 22 years, the players have been the real culprit here.

At this point, you just have to laugh at your stance. You are that Cowboys fan who struggles to really criticize the franchise for its failures. Oh you might throw down a random critique here or there but when it comes to having to criticize systematic issues, you simply can’t bring yourself to do it. So you look for nebulous excuses like it’s the players fault or chemistry was bad or we just got some bad breaks.