News: Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles

Dre11

Reaction score
Hahaha.

So for 22 years, the players have been the real culprit here.

At this point, you just have to laugh at your stance.

Considering every coach since has had the same problem including a HOF coach. I'd say its a good bet.

cern

Reaction score
Oh, that rings of IQ alright...
It does. Jimmy does in fact have a genius I.Q. not Jerry. But to his credit, Jerry was smart enough to hire a genius for a head coach. And it worked out quite well for awhile.​

Reactions: BAT

CCBoy

Reaction score
It does. Jimmy does in fact have a genius I.Q. not Jerry. But to his credit, Jerry was smart enough to hire a genius for a head coach. And it worked out quite well for awhile.​

Yea, eat the rice pudding all day.

Jerry spent as much time working a job during college and then pushing chances in the wildcatter industry, to learn where on the plate...potatoes went.

Jimmy, instead grabbed a hold of real cash flow to look grand...genius? He cashed in on cultural values of the players he used.

If Jimma' was truly a genius, he wouldn't have tried to further cash in on a Benedict Arnold reenactment, in America...where at that time, loyalty was a prime element in society.

Or, if he stood upon his pure genius and abnormal intelligence, Jimma' would have duplicated similar results in Miami. Uh, he had general GM authority while there...

Now, continue not connecting dots all one wishes.

Pants

Reaction score
Everyone on this board knows the exact things you state but, you have to realize that Jerry is a business man first and always.
He is about building the Cowboys brand, selling merchandise, & filling AT&T stadium. He is great at this and he is becoming
richer and richer every year. Jerry is not all that interested in winning SB's but, if he were to get another one, he would promote
it to even greater riches. The Cowboys are a business and Stephen is picking up the mantle for future years. Philly had never won a SB trophy in all the years of the NFL but, they finally did after over 50 years of struggle. Guys, you can continue to scream and shout but,
nothing will convince the Cowboy family to change what has been business successful. As long as the merchandise flies and the stands are filled, things will never change and it's useless to keep crying about it.

I couldn't agree more...and that is the frustrating part about all of this..in the past, I have always hung my hat on "yeah, we sucked last year, but we have won 5 SuperBowls"...or..."yeah, we sucked last year, but we are still America's Team"....or...."yeah, we sucked last year, but our team is WAY more popular than your team"...or..."yeah, we sucked last year, and I know your team won the Superbowl, but....awweeeee, I got nothin' "

all of them start with the same statement and as long as the Jones' family is not in the red, they do not care about winning a SB

cern

Reaction score
Yea, eat the rice pudding all day.

Jerry spent as much time working a job during college and then pushing chances in the wildcatter industry, to learn where on the plate...potatoes went.

Jimmy, instead grabbed a hold of real cash flow to look grand...genius? He cashed in on cultural values of the players he used.

If Jimma' was truly a genius, he wouldn't have tried to further cash in on a Benedict Arnold reenactment, in America...where at that time, loyalty was a prime element in society.

Or, if he stood upon his pure genius and abnormal intelligence, Jimma' would have duplicated similar results in Miami. Uh, he had general GM authority while there...

Now, continue not connecting dots all one wishes.
jimmy is in fact a genius, I.Q. and all. now am I wrong in thinking you don't hang around a lot of people with genius I.Q.'s? and fyi, I do not indulge in games that involve connecting of dots. but seriously, you're comparing the actions of benedict Arnold to that of a brilliant head coach who tired of a meddling owner?

CCBoy

Reaction score
jimmy is in fact a genius, I.Q. and all. now am I wrong in thinking you don't hang around a lot of people with genius I.Q.'s? and fyi, I do not indulge in games that involve connecting of dots. but seriously, you're comparing the actions of benedict Arnold to that of a brilliant head coach who tired of a meddling owner?
End of conversation, where it is in fact proven that the demonstrated IQ were but two points higher, it could then be declared sedimentary rock!

Start off with a Congressional Appointment to the Air Force Academy from Kika de la Garza, then Senior Senator and Chairman of the Senate Armed Forces Committee...

cern

Reaction score
congratulations would be in order. I attended the naval academy. entry via ocs. submarine service.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Did the scouting dept have anything to do with that poor selection of free agents last season? We got 0 return on our investment.

No that would be the direct result of Stephen Jones's policy to spend the money on 5-6 below average players hoping to hit on one or three instead of putting the money into one, two or three top talents.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Jeez, I wonder if the franchise might finally be worth a few dollars if we hired a "qualified" marketing person? I don't know how they keep the doors open...

Is that the goal, keeping the doors open or winning rings?

Section446

Reaction score
Wal-Mart is a family business. It's not about the family name. It's about the decisions they make.
With stock holders constantly applying pressure for perfection. Jerry has zero pressure because whether they're 12-4 or 4-12, the sheep will follow.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I am tired of hearing about "football people" that is the biggest fallacy out there. When you have been intimately involved in the NFL for over 20 years, guess what, you are a football person.

Hey, Jerruh’s learning on the job just like his head coach. Gotta give him credit for having a plan and sticking to it. Now that Life’s 2 minute warning just hit for ol’ Jerruh, we can watch his family continue the legacy of learning on the job.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This doesn't refute my logic at all. All NFL teams operate under the cap. So this isn't some crutch that the Cowboys have to deal with and others don't.

In fact, this is just another example of how the team has floundered under Jerry being the GM here. They have, at times, mismanaged their cap.

I mean the evidence is overwhelming that Jerry the GM simply has not gotten it done. Even if you want to give him complete credit for the SB teams, since that 1995 SB team, he's been the GM that has seen a team win 3 playoff games in 22 years. How is that a job well done?

Again you just don't get it that first the Cowboys are the ONLY team that has been in cap he11 since the inception of the cap and have been BECAUSE of those Super Bowl teams. The Cowboys were so far over the cap starting the first year it started that all of the depth that had been paid starting type money were had to have been let go plus some of their starters they could not afford. To keep some they restructured contracts that started the dead money that just grew every year just to keep a select few starters. That vicious circle continued year after year and the Cowboys are the only team that started out so severely over the cap. There were a couple of other teams that just released all of their high priced talent and just started over but Jones tried every year to keep the talent needed to try to win. If Jones did what a couple of other teams did and just flush the cap by releasing their high priced talent you same people would be whining that Jones just gave up and should be the GM because he gives up. So it just boils down to some that no matter what just want to whine about Jones.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The crazy thing is that this team has the players to win. The culture is what is preventing this team from winning and that has been created by the owner/gm.
Some like to say Parcells never won anything when he was here. BUT he took a 5-11 team for 3 straight years and turned them into a mediocre team on its way to getting better. But the biggest thing he was doing was changing the culture of this organization.He made Jerry bud out and he was the man in charge as a head coach should be. I love the way he would make the #1 draft pick bring him a cup water. Little details are what makes the difference and things like that will humble a guy who is full of himself. Its just disgusting how selfish Jerry is when it comes to being hands on. The only way this team will ever win anything is when Jerry hires the right men to do the job and then steps back and trusts them to make the right decisions and moves. Jerry probably does that in every other business he owns except the Cowboys.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again you just don't get it that first the Cowboys are the ONLY team that has been in cap he11 since the inception of the cap and have been BECAUSE of those Super Bowl teams. The Cowboys were so far over the cap starting the first year it started that all of the depth that had been paid starting type money were had to have been let go plus some of their starters they could not afford. To keep some they restructured contracts that started the dead money that just grew every year just to keep a select few starters. That vicious circle continued year after year and the Cowboys are the only team that started out so severely over the cap. There were a couple of other teams that just released all of their high priced talent and just started over but Jones tried every year to keep the talent needed to try to win. If Jones did what a couple of other teams did and just flush the cap by releasing their high priced talent you same people would be whining that Jones just gave up and should be the GM because he gives up. So it just boils down to some that no matter what just want to whine about Jones.

None of this is really accurate. And you have a history of saying false things. Do you know that the Cowboys signed Deion Sanders, for example, after the cap was instituted? But according to you, the team was so far over the cap right from the start it crippled them.

And honestly, are you arguing that it’s taken Jones 20 years to get out of cap hell?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The crazy thing is that this team has the players to win. The culture is what is preventing this team from winning and that has been created by the owner/gm.
Some like to say Parcells never won anything when he was here. BUT he took a 5-11 team for 3 straight years and turned them into a mediocre team on its way to getting better. But the biggest thing he was doing was changing the culture of this organization.He made Jerry bud out and he was the man in charge as a head coach should be. I love the way he would make the #1 draft pick bring him a cup water. Little details are what makes the difference and things like that will humble a guy who is full of himself. Its just disgusting how selfish Jerry is when it comes to being hands on. The only way this team will ever win anything is when Jerry hires the right men to do the job and then steps back and trusts them to make the right decisions and moves. Jerry probably does that in every other business he owns except the Cowboys.

That is a pile of BS. First by you saying Jones hasn't provided the culture to win. What that means is you're saying that Jones ran around stating he wanted the team to lose or it's not if you win or lose but how you play the game. We all know that's not true. Everyone that's worked for Jones has said there's not a person on or around this team that wants to win more than Jones. As far as your assertions that Parcells told Jones to butt out you are making the same assumption many did about Johnson and his power until the pregame of Super Bowl XLV when he admitted he didn't have all the power many outside of the organization thought he had. Also there were many things coaches did years ago that wouldn't fly today with these prima donnas and the CBA they have. There was a time that if coaches thought a practice was bad to keep them out there for 2-3 hours longer going over and over the same plays but they can't do that anymore. Coaches used to make out their training camp schedules that included many many 2 a days and now there isn't even a single 2 a day during the entire camp.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
None of this is really accurate. And you have a history of saying false things. Do you know that the Cowboys signed Deion Sanders, for example, after the cap was instituted? But according to you, the team was so far over the cap right from the start it crippled them.

And honestly, are you arguing that it’s taken Jones 20 years to get out of cap hell?

First Jones did sign Deion but restructured several contracts to do it adding much more dead money down the road, thus adding to what started the year before of that vicious circle that crippled the Cowboys for almost 3 decades now. Now lets look at what Sanders cost the Cowboys. The first 3 years were 178K, 492K and 335K. Oh and there was NO SIGNING BONUS. The 4th and 5th years were high with 5.8 mil and a cap hit of 6.5 mil for his last year. Both of the last 2 years contributing to crippling the Cowboys forcing them to release other players to keep Sanders.

Lastly every word of which I said was accurate about the Cowboys being in cap he11 since it's inception. And yes the Cowboys have been in cap he11 since the beginning because every year they have to restructure contracts that does nothing but add dead money to the cap at some point. Every year player salaries go up but the cap hasn't gone up very much is some years but the salaries have and then to take away cap space there's the dead money that gets subtracted off the cap every year, sometimes completely erasing the little bump in that years cap figure but the salaries keep rising.

You and I have very different views but just saying I've said false things as if you saying this is gospel is foolish at best.

Oh and if you doubt the Sanders numbers, here's a link to prove it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/deion-sanders-11674/cash-earnings/

Sydla

Reaction score
First Jones did sign Deion but restructured several contracts to do it adding much more dead money down the road, thus adding to what started the year before of that vicious circle that crippled the Cowboys for almost 3 decades now. Now lets look at what Sanders cost the Cowboys. The first 3 years were 178K, 492K and 335K. Oh and there was NO SIGNING BONUS. The 4th and 5th years were high with 5.8 mil and a cap hit of 6.5 mil for his last year. Both of the last 2 years contributing to crippling the Cowboys forcing them to release other players to keep Sanders.

Lastly every word of which I said was accurate about the Cowboys being in cap he11 since it's inception. And yes the Cowboys have been in cap he11 since the beginning because every year they have to restructure contracts that does nothing but add dead money to the cap at some point. Every year player salaries go up but the cap hasn't gone up very much is some years but the salaries have and then to take away cap space there's the dead money that gets subtracted off the cap every year, sometimes completely erasing the little bump in that years cap figure but the salaries keep rising.

You and I have very different views but just saying I've said false things as if you saying this is gospel is foolish at best.

Oh and if you doubt the Sanders numbers, here's a link to prove it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/deion-sanders-11674/cash-earnings/

It doesn't matter what the numbers are. They were able to land a top player in FA despite apparently being in some sort of cap hell once the cap was instituted like you claimed.

And 20 years is more than enough time to get out of this so called cap hell. In fact, if they were in cap hell for 20 years, that's another strike against Jones and his management of the team. A team that has cap problems for 20 years has a GM that isn't very good at his job.