Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
On a recent radio interview, Daryl Johnston suggested that firing Jason Garrett would "sabotage" the Cowboys and that he needs more "time".

Time?

Garrett has been head coach for seven and a half years. How much more time does he need?

I think Moose took too many shots to the head.

Alexander

Reaction score
The worst part is that the example of why he thinks Garrett needs "more time" was Steve Mariucci and how the 49ers went into a tailspin after moving away from him after six years. Mariucci failed with the Lions for three years after that. So the decision to move away was not the problem. It was picking his successor.

No team can have a "plan" in terms of a future head coach unless you are promoting from within.

Alexander

Reaction score
It says something when the majority of people in and around the Cowboys organization like Garrett as the coach.
It says he is well liked and has ingratiated himself to the people that count.

He is good at playing the politics.

It speaks absolutely zero about his coaching ability or chances for future success.

And since when is the last time people "in and around the Cowboys organization" been recently qualified to speak about what it takes to field a consistent winner?

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am not a Garrett apologist nor would I be upset if he was let go. But I think Johnston has a point. 1st HC job and working with Booger Jones as a handicap. If he coaches as a doofus this year let him go, if he has a PO run then I wouldn't be one calling for his head. Either way this is the year for him to show something.

Dre11

Reaction score
It says he is well liked and has ingratiated himself to the people that count.

He is good at playing the politics.

It speaks absolutely zero about his coaching ability or chances for future success.

And since when is the last time people "in and around the Cowboys organization" been recently qualified to speak about what it takes to field a consistent winner?

That’s a heaping pile of bs you’re spewing. If they didn’t think he was capable of doing the job, he’d be gone. The people that matter the most wants to win as bad or more than the fans.

Big_D

Reaction score
I am not a Garrett apologist nor would I be upset if he was let go. But I think Johnston has a point. 1st HC job and working with Booger Jones as a handicap. If he coaches as a doofus this year let him go, if he has a PO run then I wouldn't be one calling for his head. Either way this is the year for him to show something.

Doesn't sound like Moose put any stipulations on this. He's insinuating they keep him no matter what they do in 2018.