Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

lukin2006

Reaction score
How much more time goes JG need? I'll be patient. We are headed in to year 9 of the process...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His role isn’t the biggest role just a product of it.

Unless of course we’ve been witnessing a championship team less a HC? Is that what you believe ?

No, but he's a byproduct of it. A pet project who would have never been in this position otherwise.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, but he's a byproduct of it. A pet project who would have never been in this position otherwise.
Which is all part of the dysfunctional situation we have here.

Coming to grips with our obstacles and hindrances Jerry’s ways presents to our football operations will enable us to better evaluate where we are, why we're where we are and potential solutions moving forward.

And why I’ve argued our situation can’t be compared to most of the other NFL franchises as none of them are met with the same handicaps which doesnt allow a HC to have the control most would require which limits the quality of candidates.

That doesn’t relieve our HC and GM of due criticism but it helps better evaluate our dysfunctional situation .

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys football organization is like the Mom and Pop operation which struggles putting out a quality product but they do one thing well. Selling a product.

It amazes me with a GM and VP Father and son duo that wouldn’t be working anywhere else with most of the puppet HC this era can even field a competitive team.

What a debacle the worlds wealthiest franchise which generates the most revenue is reduced to such a Mickey Mouse operation. Which maybe is what we’ve become . Like a Walt Disney movie.

As long as it remains a top grossing product don’t expect the leading men to change.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is all part of the dysfunctional situation we have here.

Coming to grips with our obstacles and hindrances Jerry’s ways presents to our football operations will enable us to better evaluate where we are, why we're where we are and potential solutions moving forward.

And why I’ve argued our situation can’t be compared to most of the other NFL franchises as none of them are met with the same handicaps which doesnt allow a HC to have the control most would require which limits the quality of candidates.

That doesn’t relieve our HC and GM of due criticism but it helps better evaluate our dysfunctional situation .

In the case of Jason Garrett, I would argue that him having less control has produced better results. The further away he's been removed from playcalling, the better the team has ultimately done.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? He would’ve been Head coach of the Ravens a job he turned down he possibly would be a Super Bowl Coach with that FO and team. Or possibly the Falcons another team who was highly interested.

No he wouldn't. If not for Jerry Jones, he would have never been gifted the job he did get. The one that got him interest - way back in 2011 - from either of those teams.

Dre11

Reaction score
In the case of Jason Garrett, I would argue that him having less control has produced better results. The further away he's been removed from playcalling, the better the team has ultimately done.

Lol... the offense has been top 3 in the league once since he stop calling plays....lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which surrounding him with greater Asst coaches and talent on the field is IMO the best solution.

And why I’ve begun calling him like a walk around GM.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
No he wouldn't. If not for Jerry Jones, he would have never been gifted the job he did get. The one that got him interest - way back in 2011 - from either of those teams.

No he may have gotten a better one, in how the organization was ran then. You’re right, he maybe sitting on a Super Bowl trophy right now.....lol

Dre11

Reaction score

Most coaches that give up play calling duties do better, there’s so many other hats a head coach has to wear.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is totally true.

Which further illustrates how incredibly unprecedented and dysfunctional it was naming Garrett” the future of the Dallas Cowboys” in 2007 before he’d even been OC.

JustChip

Reaction score
I want the Cowboys to win every season, but I also want Garrett to lose. I hate being put in this situation.

I read that a lot on here and, frankly, just can't understand that thinking. I understand not believing Garrett can get them to where we all want them to go. But right now, you would take something like a 4-12 record so that Garrett MIGHT get fired over a 13-3 record and playing in the NFCC or SB just because you want Garrett fired? That just doesn't make sense to me. If the former happens, so be it and what happens, happens.

I guess I would liken it to T. O. I absolutely hated when we signed him because of what he did on the Star - the total disrespect. But I never thought "oh please, T. O., drop this TD pass so we'll lose so maybe we'll get rid of you." I hated the signing, but once he put the helmet on with the Star on it, I'm rooting for him.

JustChip

Reaction score
Prop him up as much as you can. Or realize he doesn't have it and get yourself a better head coach.

Do you honestly believe Jerry would get a better coach, or if he did, would operate in a manner that provided that coach the best opportunity to succeed? I don't. Now, to be very clear, that's not a justification to keep Garrett, just simply whether a coaching change will bring any better results. Jerry said after Parcells left that it was the most miserable period for him as Owner/GM and he wouldn't do that again.

JustChip

Reaction score

Very good point. I can't remember if it was Baltimore or the Jets (I think it was the Jets he also interviewed with at the time) that said of his interview that they were very impressed and that they could see him as a CEO or President (paraphrasing). I interpret that that his strengths are strategic and big-picture, not tactical. Honestly, maybe better suited to be GM than HC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is totally true.

Which further illustrates how incredibly unprecedented and dysfunctional it was naming Garrett” the future of the Dallas Cowboys” in 2007 before he’d even been OC.

Another point where we agree.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you honestly believe Jerry would get a better coach, or if he did, would operate in a manner that provided that coach the best opportunity to succeed? I don't. Now, to be very clear, that's not a justification to keep Garrett, just simply whether a coaching change will bring any better results. Jerry said after Parcells left that it was the most miserable period for him as Owner/GM and he wouldn't do that again.

I've seen growth in the man. Slowly, grudgingly, but I've seen growth. And he's loosened his grip on everything. I have faith he would do the same again with a new coach. Like he did with Parcells.

And Garrett has had more than enough time to show who and what he is. If nothing changes, nothing changes.