Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao,, keep bringing up the teams who wanted Garrett.. I highly doubt they would want him now after watching his "process".........

JustChip

Reaction score
I've seen growth in the man. Slowly, grudgingly, but I've seen growth. And he's loosened his grip on everything. I have faith he would do the same again with a new coach. Like he did with Parcells.

And Garrett has had more than enough time to show who and what he is. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Fair enough. But how much of that change is because of his pseudo-son, Garrett, and JJ wanting him to succeed? He gave Parcells tremendous latitude initially, I believe because he need to get the Stadium done, but Parcells wasn't his prodigy so he ultimately reinserted himself. Whoever he hires better produce quickly or we'll be back to the revolving door of stooges following Jimmy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Prop him up as much as you can. Or realize he doesn't have it and get yourself a better head coach.
I wish the second was a bigger probability but I don’t sense Jerry is prepared to do so.

The bigger issue is I’m still not sure Jerry wants a HC who’d recieve more credit than himself for building a championship team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've seen growth in the man. Slowly, grudgingly, but I've seen growth. And he's loosened his grip on everything. I have faith he would do the same again with a new coach. Like he did with Parcells.

And Garrett has had more than enough time to show who and what he is. If nothing changes, nothing changes.
In the end he meddled with Parcells too and what probably drive Bill off early and most likely will prevent other type qualified coaches from coming here unless they can’t get a job elsewhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett to me is like Forest Gump.

And It’s difficult not to root for an exCowboy under Jimmy and his loyalty to the Cowboys actually wanting to be here. And the fact his father worked for Landry is another plus.

Jason and the Garretts history with the Cowboys is a huge plus to me. I’m hoping he can have more success. I don’t have much to root for otherwise with the embarrassment Jerry has created for our beloved franchise.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough. But how much of that change is because of his pseudo-son, Garrett, and JJ wanting him to succeed? He gave Parcells tremendous latitude initially, I believe because he need to get the Stadium done, but Parcells wasn't his prodigy so he ultimately reinserted himself. Whoever he hires better produce quickly or we'll be back to the revolving door of stooges following Jimmy.

Possibly, worst case. But on the plus side, they wouldn't be "family" and given 8 years to flounder before a change was made.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish the second was a bigger probability but I don’t sense Jerry is prepared to do so.

The bigger issue is I’m still not sure Jerry wants a HC who’d recieve more credit than himself for building a championship team.

I don't think the next coach would get credit for building. I think he'd get credit for coaching, and winning. If anyone would look bad, it would be Garrett, when the new coach wins where he couldn't. For the most part, the team capable of winning has already been built.

JustChip

Reaction score
I don't think the next coach would get credit for building. I think he'd get credit for coaching, and winning. If anyone would look bad, it would be Garrett, when the new coach wins where he couldn't. For the most part, the team capable of winning has already been built.

Or, if they don't win, it would reinforce in Jerry's mind Garrett was the right guy and a mistake to fire him. Personally, I don't think Jerry will ever truly fire Garrett. If he makes a change, it'll be to promote Garrett into some consultant or quasi-GM role.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or, if they don't win, it would reinforce in Jerry's mind Garrett was the right guy and a mistake to fire him. Personally, I don't think Jerry will ever truly fire Garrett. If he makes a change, it'll be to promote Garrett into some consultant or quasi-GM role.

Oh please no! Failing upwards?
:banghead:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your convinced we have a championship caliber team? With this defense and QB? I just don’t see it yet. Probably why I don’t hold Garrett more accountable.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I think they should move him on up to the coach of the cheerleaders.. That's one job he can do, and I want to see a lot of butt slapping..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would just like to look back on a game from time to time and say to myself that our coaching made the difference in a Win.

Instead it's just linem up and let the best team win in a salary cap league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would just like to look back on a game from time to time and say to myself that our coaching made the difference in a Win.

Instead it's just linem up and let the best team win in a salary cap league.
But we need to realize as long as Jerry insist on his control coaching is not going to be one of our strengths.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett to me is like Forest Gump.

And It’s difficult not to root for an exCowboy under Jimmy and his loyalty to the Cowboys actually wanting to be here. And the fact his father worked for Landry is another plus.

Jason and the Garretts history with the Cowboys is a huge plus to me. I’m hoping he can have more success. I don’t have much to root for otherwise with the embarrassment Jerry has created for our beloved franchise.

I think that the Jones and Garrrett family connections are, in fact, a huge detriment. And they play a huge role in why after a decade of zero championships, the guy is still here.

In addition to him, we've had to deal with his even more incompetentent siblings, John and Judd.

No, there's no positives to the family connections, it's as bad as Jerry not being able to "quit" Larry Lacewell when he was running things into the ground. Jerry's familiarity and comfort level is a negative, not a positive. You should know that better than anybody.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But we need to realize as long as Jerry insist on his control coaching is not going to be one of our strengths.

As long as it's Garrett doing it, it won't. He might be a fine administrator, but he gets pantsed when it comes to X's and O's.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your convinced we have a championship caliber team? With this defense and QB? I just don’t see it yet. Probably why I don’t hold Garrett more accountable.

The QB and a lesser defense got this team to a 13-3 record two years ago. The defense, despite all the rookies they played, finished 8th overall in 2017 I believe. If the offensive line and running game meet expectations, I see little reason why the quarterback and receivers couldn't match the pedestrian numbers of 2016.

I fully believe that the defense is more talented and will be better coached.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The QB and a lesser defense got this team to a 13-3 record two years ago. The defense, despite all the rookies they played, finished 8th overall in 2017 I believe. If the offensive line and running game meet expectations, I see little reason why the quarterback and receivers couldn't match the pedestrian numbers of 2016.

I fully believe that the defense is more talented and will be better coached.
But no one is predicting this team to finish higher than a 6th seed. Most have us behind Phil, Minn, LA, GB, Atl and NO.

I do agree if defense become a force and our running game returns to 2016 level we could make some noise but that remains to be seen. I’m not placing expectations on that occurring .

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As long as it's Garrett doing it, it won't. He might be a fine administrator, but he gets pantsed when it comes to X's and O's.
That’s why I call him a walk around GM. Lol

And why my best hope rest in having an Elite QB and top 5 defense.

Unfortunately coaching is simply not going to be a strength under Jerry. Im still shocked Garrett won COY.