Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

JustChip

Reaction score
But no one is predicting this team to finish higher than a 6th seed. Most have us behind Phil, Minn, LA, GB, Atl and NO.

Where were we predicted after the 3rd pre-season game in 2016? And where was Philly predicted at the end of pre-season last year? Most predictions are based on knee-jerk analysis. Jordan Spieth was hailed as the next Tiger Woods after winning majors at such a young age, and before that it was Rory McElroy. Barely 2 years later and Jordan is as lost as he can be and Rory is sometimes competitive, sometimes not. Certainly not the domination and consistency of Tiger. So, let's see how this year plays out - I think it's going to be a good, maybe very good year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s why I call him a walk around GM. Lol

And why my best hope rest in having an Elite QB and top 5 defense.

Unfortunately coaching is simply not going to be a strength under Jerry. Im still shocked Garrett won COY.

I can see why he won it. A 13-3 record without Romo with two rookies leading the way was an impressive feat. The only trouble was that Garrett and Linehan again showed their true colors when the going got tough. Not only were they in over their heads, but they undermined their own team and played away from their own strengths.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everyone has their own predictions. Most are wrong. Not a one of the "experts" ever had us going 13-3 either.
Agreed. And why that 13-3 is probably not a good barometer.

Personally I didn’t think we were that good of team. Certainly not the best in NFC which a 13-3 and top seed would represent.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where were we predicted after the 3rd pre-season game in 2016? And where was Philly predicted at the end of pre-season last year? Most predictions are based on knee-jerk analysis. Jordan Spieth was hailed as the next Tiger Woods after winning majors at such a young age, and before that it was Rory McElroy. Barely 2 years later and Jordan is as lost as he can be and Rory is sometimes competitive, sometimes not. Certainly not the domination and consistency of Tiger. So, let's see how this year plays out - I think it's going to be a good, maybe very good year.

I agree. I'm splitting the difference. While they may not be as good as the 13-3 team of 2016, they're surely better than the 9-7 disappointment of 2017. I'm going with 11-5 for this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. And why that 13-3 is probably not a good barometer.

Personally I didn’t think we were that good of team. Certainly not the best in NFC which a 13-3 and top seed would represent.

And yet, there they were. With a rookie quarterback, mediocre receiving numbers, and a defense that was so weak that it needed to be protected.

As I've said, I'm splitting the difference between the high of 2016 and low of 2017 and going with 11-5. If they get worse, there are no more excuses for Garrett. He needs to go.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can see why he won it. A 13-3 record without Romo with two rookies leading the way was an impressive feat. The only trouble was that Garrett and Linehan again showed their true colors when the going got tough. Not only were they in over their heads, but they undermined their own team and played away from their own strengths.
That’s a fair argument .

I think in the playoffs and when we go up against the more elite QB and or defenses our strengths and weaknesses are also exposed. Rodgers dismantled our defense. 31 points should be enough to win a playoff game. You can’t give up 3rd and 20 with game on the line.

JustChip

Reaction score
That’s why I call him a walk around GM. Lol

And why my best hope rest in having an Elite QB and top 5 defense.

Unfortunately coaching is simply not going to be a strength under Jerry. Im still shocked Garrett won COY.

Why are you shocked about the CoY? That team completely blew away any reasonable expectations. Number 1 seed with a 4th round rookie QB that had no business being the starter, or maybe better put, was never planned to be the starter for the immediate future. The coaching staff, of which Garrett is the top of the food chain, did a masterful job. You can't put all the blame on Garrett for poor seasons without giving him credit for the good seasons. This is not a Garrett endorsement post - just an editorial statement about placing blame without giving credit when credit is due.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And yet, there they were. With a rookie quarterback, mediocre receiving numbers, and a defense that was so weak that it needed to be protected.

As I've said, I'm splitting the difference between the high of 2016 and low of 2017 and going with 11-5. If they get worse, there are no more excuses for Garrett. He needs to go.
I’d agree if they get worse. I don’t expect that.

I’m not sure how much better we will be? If Dak and this passing game doesn’t improve. If we haven’t shored up our OL back to 2016 level. I’m optimistic about our defense but still need to see. And that doesn’t take into consideration how much our competition has improved or not. More questions than answers at this point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why are you shocked about the CoY? That team completely blew away any reasonable expectations. Number 1 seed with a 4th round rookie QB that had no business being the starter, or maybe better put, was never planned to be the starter for the immediate future. The coaching staff, of which Garrett is the top of the food chain, did a masterful job. You can't put all the blame on Garrett for poor seasons without giving him credit for the good seasons. This is not a Garrett endorsement post - just an editorial statement about placing blame without giving credit when credit is due.
I was shocked because so many fans think Garrett is a horrid coach ? Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
But no one is predicting this team to finish higher than a 6th seed. Most have us behind Phil, Minn, LA, GB, Atl and NO.

I do agree if defense become a force and our running game returns to 2016 level we could make some noise but that remains to be seen. I’m not placing expectations on that occurring .

Soooo...........

Are you already making excuses for Garrett for the 2018 season in July?

JustChip

Reaction score
That’s a fair argument .

I think in the playoffs and when we go up against the more elite QB and or defenses our strengths and weaknesses are also exposed. Rodgers dismantled our defense. 31 points should be enough to win a playoff game. You can’t give up 3rd and 20 with game on the line.

I am still chaffed about the 3rd and 20. It was an outstanding play by the TE, but what bothers me is not putting more pressure on Rodgers in these "Hail Mary" situations. And this staff isn't the only one that fails in that regard. I've never understood why the DC typically rush only 3 and play to prevent the completion. It always seemed to me to pressure the hell out of him so he has to get rid of the ball quickly, not to give him the time to let the play develop and the receivers get deep enough.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Soooo...........

Are you already making excuses for Garrett for the 2018 season in July?
No, but my expectations are not making the playoffs which if your placing that ultimatum as a requirement then I take issue with it and would argue if Jerry is.

I think the playoffs are a reasonable goal but I have more questions than answers until further evidence. Maybe the Eagles and rest of our division and conference will be down? You just never know but to have those expectations going in doesnt appear sound evaluation to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am still chaffed about the 3rd and 20. It was an outstanding play by the TE, but what bothers me is not putting more pressure on Rodgers in these "Hail Mary" situations. And this staff isn't the only one that fails in that regard. I've never understood why the DC typically rush only 3 and play to prevent the completion. It always seemed to me to pressure the hell out of him so he has to get rid of the ball quickly, not to give him the time to let the play develop and the receivers get deep enough.
Especially with someone like Rodgers. Pressure him to a quick decision and if he beats you.. fine. At least you feel like you forced the issue instead of sitting back on your heels in some kind of prevent.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, but my expectations are not making the playoffs which if your placing that ultimatum as a requirement then I take issue with it and would argue if Jerry is.

I think the playoffs are a reasonable goal but I have more questions than answers until further evidence. Maybe the Eagles and rest of our division and conference will be down? You just never know but to have those expectations going in doesnt appear sound evaluation to me.

You have no expectations so you can come back here in 2019 and say people are being unfair to Garrett if he doesn't make the playoffs, again.

It's beyond bizarre that you are so defensive of Garrett. I never really understand those that of all the things Cowboys related, the one they are going to latch onto and defend to the hilt is Garrett.

JustChip

Reaction score

I think this is where I am. My expectations are to be competitive in every game. The total result of that will be dependent on a number of factors, some controllable, some not. At the end of the year, I'll look at the year as a whole and decide whether a change is in order or not. I will say that, extenuating circumstances or not, at some point, it's time to fish or cut bait. This feels like a fish or cut bait season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You have no expectations so you can come back here in 2019 and say people are being unfair to Garrett if he doesn't make the playoffs, again.

It's beyond bizarre that you are so defensive of Garrett. I never really understand those that of all the things Cowboys related, the one they are going to latch onto and defend to the hilt is Garrett.
I just call it like I see it.

I haven’t said the criticism of Garrett is unfair. He certainly deserves his share of the blame. But he also deserves some of the credit to the improvements we’ve seen in recent years with our franchise. And why Garrett is probably better suited in the front office than sidelines.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think this is where I am. My expectations are to be competitive in every game. The total result of that will be dependent on a number of factors, some controllable, some not. At the end of the year, I'll look at the year as a whole and decide whether a change is in order or not. I will say that, extenuating circumstances or not, at some point, it's time to fish or cut bait. This feels like a fish or cut bait season.
My expectations change as the season unfolds. I not only need to see how we have developed with some of the concerns we have but how our competitors have developed . What if NY and Wash have more greatly improved ? Just saying and why these preseason expectations are flawed IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I like Garrett personally so I’m rooting hard for him. His Cowboy history gives me something to root for. The influence he’s had with Jethro and Son I believe had put us on a better path.

That doesn’t excuse his Game Day gaffs but it at least provides me more hope than I’ve had with most of our coaches this era. With little hope of our better solution. And why I’m promoting wanting the most elite talent we can land.