Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s a fair argument .

I think in the playoffs and when we go up against the more elite QB and or defenses our strengths and weaknesses are also exposed. Rodgers dismantled our defense. 31 points should be enough to win a playoff game. You can’t give up 3rd and 20 with game on the line.

No arguments there either. That was ridiculous, and it illustrates just how much that defense needed to be protected. My complaints come with getting away from the running game that helped protect that defense and get you to that 13-3 in the first place.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d agree if they get worse. I don’t expect that.

So you expect better than last year's 9-7 record as well.

I’m not sure how much better we will be? If Dak and this passing game doesn’t improve. If we haven’t shored up our OL back to 2016 level. I’m optimistic about our defense but still need to see. And that doesn’t take into consideration how much our competition has improved or not.

At this point, they don't have the injury excuses that they used last year. And also, to their credit, they took significant steps to ensure that they won't have those issues again.

And as I've said, the passing game in 2016 wasn't great either. Neither Bryant nor Witten set a high bar for those here currently to meet. Injury is the only excuse for the offensive line not being better than 2016. It's time for Garrett and the coaches to show the return on investment with the players they've been given.

More questions than answers at this point.

As with most offseasons.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you expect better than last year's 9-7 record as well.

At this point, they don't have the injury excuses that they used last year. And also, to their credit, they took significant steps to ensure that they won't have those issues again.

And as I've said, the passing game in 2016 wasn't great either. Neither Bryant nor Witten set a high bar for those here currently to meet. Injury is the only excuse for the offensive line not being better than 2016. It's time for Garrett and the coaches to show the return on investment with the players they've been given.

As with most offseasons.
I’d go with the over on Vegas line at 8 1/2. I can see 9 maybe 10 wins. But will that be enough to get into playoffs?

Each year stands on its own merit with all of the roster changes and any injuries we incur.

I don’t really go into the season with an overall expectation. Basically trying to handicap and evaluate each week and game heading in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d go with the over on Vegas line at 8 1/2. I can see 9 maybe 10 wins. But will that be enough to get into playoffs?

10 should. If he doesn't improve on last year's record, he doesn't deserve to stick around.

Each year stands on its own merit with all of the roster changes and any injuries we incur.

Sounds like you're getting your next excuse ready.

I don’t really go into the season with an overall expectation. Basically trying to handicap and evaluate each week and game heading in.

That's your prerogative, but any venture has expectations to be met and people to be accountable.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps Johnston wanted to say something controversial. Something that would stir up fans. 33 pages? Looks like he succeeded.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps Johnston wanted to say something controversial. Something that would stir up fans. 33 pages? Looks like he succeeded.

That's not tough. Just say the magic word (Garrett) and it will elicit passionate opinions.

JustChip

Reaction score
And I don't see any signs they won't continue to do that...

Verily, but they're not alone or even in the minority in that. Most of the league operates like that. I think AR has the most "Hail Mary" completions of any QB in history. The conventional wisdom is to put the hands unit back and play to knock down the ball, but the only way you're going to complete a pass to win from the 50 yard line is he has time to wait for the receivers to get to the end-zone. Of course, Andy Reid pulled a switcheroo and dumped it off last year and the Cowboys were so dumbfounded they didn't know what to do.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

If Moose really believes it, I have serious doubts about his success as a GM in this new league.
Maybe you're right and just wanted to say something to get folks talking. If he wanted to say something controversial, he shoulda just said he believes that the earth is flat or that dinosaurs never existed or something at least that would be funny.

CPanther95

Reaction score

That's going to be tough in the NFC.

Add Green Bay into the mix this year and I can see 11 wins being the target for a Wild Card. Might drop if the Giants, Commanders and Cowboys can all beat up on the NFC South playoff teams from last year. Then you have possible contenders from the West this year - and if the West remains flat again in 2018, that lightens the load on the Vikings, Packers and Lions who have that division on their schedule.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Moose really believes it, I have serious doubts about his success as a GM in this new league.
Maybe you're right and just wanted to say something to get folks talking. If he wanted to say something controversial, he shoulda just said he believes that the earth is flat or that dinosaurs never existed or something at least that would be funny.

It's much more likely that Moose simply believes it. Hard as that is for people to accept.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Until Jerry is ready to step down as GM and bring in a legit replacement and then bring in a proven or up an coming HC and give him and them absolute control we have little hope and why other successful franchises are not running their teams in this fashion. It leaves us totally at the mercy of the type of coaching situations we’ve had which is not set up for success.

What you want and what is reasonable are two different things. No team is going to hire an up and coming head coach which is either one with no prior head coaching experience or very limited head coaching experience and give them absolute control. There are very few proven coaches that can demand and get that, but up and coming coaches, not a chance.

Flamma

Reaction score
I like Garrett personally so I’m rooting hard for him. His Cowboy history gives me something to root for. The influence he’s had with Jethro and Son I believe had put us on a better path.

That doesn’t excuse his Game Day gaffs but it at least provides me more hope than I’ve had with most of our coaches this era. With little hope of our better solution. And why I’m promoting wanting the most elite talent we can land.

I like the guy too, and for the same reason. But he's not a good coach. Maybe it's the entire coaching staff, I don't know. In 7 years we've seen four 8-8 seasons, (I'm including the 9-7 season for obvious reasons) A 4-12, and two good seasons. Keep in mind the two good seasons used the same tactic, an eat the clock ball control to hide the defense. Those 8-8 seasons weren't even average, they were agonizing to go through. Am I to believe if we had a good coach we would have seen the same or something similar over the past 7 years? Not a really good coach, great coach, or a genius, just a good coach.

Try and find the last time the Cowboys had a 7 year stretch as bad as this one. Hard to find, but it's there. 7 years and two one and done in the playoffs. It took a good coach to get us out of that, it will take good coach to get us out of this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's going to be tough in the NFC.

Add Green Bay into the mix this year and I can see 11 wins being the target for a Wild Card. Might drop if the Giants, Commanders and Cowboys can all beat up on the NFC South playoff teams from last year. Then you have possible contenders from the West this year - and if the West remains flat again in 2018, that lightens the load on the Vikings, Packers and Lions who have that division on their schedule.
Right...

I see the WC coming out of West, North or South which unless we win division probably will leave us out but it could be close coming down to Week 17.

We’re probably just not as good as Phil, Minn, LA, GB, NO, and Atl and maybe SF, Sea or Car which will put us anywhere from 7th - 10th.

Flamma

Reaction score

We have what appears to be a pretty tough schedule. You're only going to be right if our defense steps it up this year. We can't keep going into every season with a sub par defense and hoping our offense clicks on all cylinders and never turns the ball over. If we have the same ol' crap we've been seeing over the past few seasons we're done. Take the under and put the house on it. But this year I am the most optimistic about our D since I can't remember. Last year's D showed some signs of being much better, but it has to get better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have what appears to be a pretty tough schedule. You're only going to be right if our defense steps it up this year. We can't keep going into every season with a sub par defense and hoping our offense clicks on all cylinders and never turns the ball over. If we have the same ol' crap we've been seeing over the past few seasons we're done. Take the under and put the house on it. But this year I am the most optimistic about our D since I can't remember. Last year's D showed some signs of being much better, but it has to get better.
Totally agree!

Our defense is what I’m most optimistic especially after finishing strong last year surprisingly 8th ranked in yardage. And we appear to have upgraded talent with 1st round pick at LB and Ealy a former high 2nd rounder. Only starter loss was Hitchens.

Many more questions on offense losing Dez and Witten with an already 26th ranked passing attack hoping Dak will further develop and if we’ve resolved our OL concerns.

It could all come together but to expect it going in is presumptuous.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Even if the Cowboys aren't that good, and can't go better than 10-6, I can see that the league's better teams will knock each other off, such as Atlanta, New Orleans and Carolina splitting their series, Green Bay and Detroit splitting, etc. In other words parity will strike big time and only 1 or two teams will really dominate, leaving lots of 10-6 teams.

Of course a 10-6 team that gets in the playoffs because of that likely won't go very far, but a young team like Dallas could improve as the season goes on and be better come playoff time than earlier, sort of like the Raiders, the first wild card team to win the SB....

Flamma

Reaction score
Even if the Cowboys aren't that good, and can't go better than 10-6, I can see that the league's better teams will knock each other off, such as Atlanta, New Orleans and Carolina splitting their series, Green Bay and Detroit splitting, etc. In other words parity will strike big time and only 1 or two teams will really dominate, leaving lots of 10-6 teams.

Of course a 10-6 team that gets in the playoffs because of that likely won't go very far, but a young team like Dallas could improve as the season goes on and be better come playoff time than earlier, sort of like the Raiders, the first wild card team to win the SB....

Don't be so sure how far a 10-6 team will go in the NFC. If the Cowboys go 10-6 they would have beaten some pretty good teams. Something we did not do last year besides the win over KC and the gift from Philly.

We arguably have 7 games against tough teams. If we go 4-3 against that lot we'd have beaten some damn good teams. Split with the Commanders and Giants and we're 6-5. Then we have this left, Lions, Bucs, Titans, Colts, and Seahawks. We'd have to go 4-1 just to be 10-6. So yeah, we'd be better than slightly above average with a 10-6 record.

Oh yeah, good for the Raiders, congrats. But they didn't have to play the Steelers as the wildcard entering the SB. :)