Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

408Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s foolish, Jerry is a competitor by nature, it’s why the cowboys are the most valuable franchise. He wants to be on top, and to stay on top, you have to win. To say winning is secondary is absolutely crazy talk.
He has the most valuable franchise without winning for the last 20 odd years. Your post was a giant contradiction.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really is unfair to judge a professional coach or sports team by their record.

Not his record. His playoff record. We ignore his record in general now that he proved the “he’ll never be more than a .500 head coach” stuff wrong.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love you, Idgit :)

Me, too.

But what if everybody who knows him and keeps saying he’s a good coach is actually right? What if maybe the issue in Dallas for Jason and Wade and Bill and Dave and Chan actually is related to the team’s ability to assemble championship caliber talent?

Sure gives that whole ‘22 years of futility’ line a little context.

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s a heaping pile of bs you’re spewing. If they didn’t think he was capable of doing the job, he’d be gone. The people that matter the most wants to win as bad or more than the fans.

Of course they think he can do the job.

The problem is just thinking he can do the job doesn’t mean he will or their belief is accurate.

I think my 6 year old could hit a golf ball 250 yards. Doesn’t mean she can actually do it.

Dre11

Reaction score
He has the most valuable franchise without winning for the last 20 odd years. Your post was a giant contradiction.

It won’t last without winning, there’s other on the rise.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
On a recent radio interview, Daryl Johnston suggested that firing Jason Garrett would "sabotage" the Cowboys and that he needs more "time".

Time?

Garrett has been head coach for seven and a half years. How much more time does he need?

I think Moose took too many shots to the head.
They used to shower together! Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
So tell me, why do you think he’s the coach if he so bad? Do you think Stephen and Jerry don’t want to win?...lol

I think Jerry has a sense of nostalgia with Garrrett. He’s a legit nknto the glory days of Jones’ run as owner. I think he’s been around Garrett over the years so much this is more than just a work relationship. He’s too close.

I also think Jerry believes he can develop a great head coach. Jerry actually said just a few months ago that they have invested so much in Garrett that it would be a shame to let him go on the off chance he is a good coach somewhere else.

Dre11

Reaction score
Of course they think he can do the job.

The problem is just thinking he can do the job doesn’t mean he will or their belief is accurate.

I think my 6 year old could hit a golf ball 250 yards. Doesn’t mean she can actually do it.

And you’ll help put him in position to do it too if you truly believed that.

Aven8

Reaction score
On a recent radio interview, Daryl Johnston suggested that firing Jason Garrett would "sabotage" the Cowboys and that he needs more "time".

Time?

Garrett has been head coach for seven and a half years. How much more time does he need?

I think Moose took too many shots to the head.

I always wondered why Moose got moved to the "C team" on Fox. Now it all makes sense.....

Sydla

Reaction score
It’s weird how the players and the people who know him all say he’s a good coach, and the people who judge him solely on the team’s W/L record, er, the team’s playoff W/L record mostly don’t think he’s a good coach.

I wonder if there’s maybe a lesson to be learned there. Probably not.

Yeah the lesson to be learned is that rational analysis makes more sense than how you feel about a person.

Tyrone Willingham was liked by his players at Notre Dame. People close to him thought he was the perfect coach and a good coach.

He stunk. And proved that by running Washington into the ground after he ran ND into the ground.

When feelings and personal attachments start to factor into the decision on whether a guy should continue to coach, that’s when you get into real trouble.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Me, too.

But what if everybody who knows him and keeps saying he’s a good coach is actually right? What if maybe the issue in Dallas for Jason and Wade and Bill and Dave and Chan actually is related to the team’s ability to assemble championship caliber talent?

Sure gives that whole ‘22 years of futility’ line a little context.
If you say "me, too" it doesn't mean it the same way as saying my name :D

To answer your question, my dear pal, If we win with Jason at the helm, I will eat crow for time immemorial and lay the blame of the last 25 years squarely on Jerry where it (would then) belong. For all these people that are saying "Jason is a good coach", well he isn't if he doesn't win. At some point, with our club or elsewhere, he has to win. Or invent a new scheme like Bum Phillips/Coryell etc if he doesn't win.

But if we won, I think I would even forego the <gasp> Jerry criticism until the euphoria subsided.

Idgit, we deserve to win now. There is no more entitlement in Cowboys Nation. My Angels, THE ANGELS, have won since the Cowboys have. That is sad (to type whilst admitting; conundrum).

Dre11

Reaction score
I think Jerry has a sense of nostalgia with Garrrett. He’s a legit nknto the glory days of Jones’ run as owner. I think he’s been around Garrett over the years so much this is more than just a work relationship. He’s too close.

I also think Jerry believes he can develop a great head coach. Jerry actually said just a few months ago that they have invested so much in Garrett that it would be a shame to let him go on the off chance he is a good coach somewhere else.

Jerry isn’t making the decisions on his own, it’s been a few years since he has. So it isn’t just Jerry.

Sydla

Reaction score
And they fired all of them in less than 5. who said he was “special”? They obviously think he’s doing fine considering the circumstances that have been circling this team for years, even before Garrett.

So hold on.

Jerry is keeping Garrett around because Jerry knows he’s hamstrung coaches for years?

Is that what you are alleging when you say “circumstances”?

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s foolish, Jerry is a competitor by nature, it’s why the cowboys are the most valuable franchise. He wants to be on top, and to stay on top, you have to win. To say winning is secondary is absolutely crazy talk.

He wants to win his way. That’s a clear distinction than just wanting to win. That’s been clear the moment he and Jimmy parted ways.

He thinks that he can build a SB team himself and develop the coach who wins it for him.

I think he wants to win badly but in a way where he would get the credit.