Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s usually the people with enough distance to not really know what’s going on or who is responsible for what who have the best read on things like this.

In a lot of cases, when emotion is involved, it actually is.

And I think emotion and loyalty is at play here. Jerry has been around Garrett for a large chunk of his time as owner of the Cowboys. Jason was handpicked by Jerry going back to his start with coaching the Cowboys. The families are fairly close.

I think it’s very difficult for Jerry to have to make a hard decision on Garrett. But with each passing season ending in disappointment, he (or Stephen) are getting closer to facing reality.

Dre11

Reaction score
So hold on.

Jerry is keeping Garrett around because Jerry knows he’s hamstrung coaches for years?

Is that what you are alleging when you say “circumstances”?

The FO isn’t being impulsive as he had in the past, they know they’ve had issues surrounding this team, talent,untimely suspensions, injuries.

Dre11

Reaction score
He wants to win his way. That’s a clear distinction than just wanting to win. That’s been clear the moment he and Jimmy parted ways.

He thinks that he can build a SB team himself and develop the coach who wins it for him.

I think he wants to win badly but in a way where he would get the credit.

He wants to win. I don’t care how, if they didn’t think they could win with him he wouldn’t be here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was going to post this but they will say Blogging the boys is trash.
Blogging the boys have some of the best writers covering the Cowboys. Not a bunch of anonymous hacks on a fan forum. Lol

Locally, Garrett is the most popular coach since Jimmy.

Dre11

Reaction score
And won the division only 2 time in 7 years.

I live in Philly country. Their fans love Garrett.

No they dont, my wife and her family are fans, they just hate the Cowboys, just as we hate them.

Dre11

Reaction score
Blogging the boys have some of the best writers covering the Cowboys. Not a bunch of anonymous hacks on a fan forum. Lol

Locally, Garrett is the most popular coach since Jimmy.

I agree, but watch how many discredit them.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah the lesson to be learned is that rational analysis makes more sense than how you feel about a person.

Tyrone Willingham was liked by his players at Notre Dame. People close to him thought he was the perfect coach and a good coach.

He stunk. And proved that by running Washington into the ground after he ran ND into the ground.

When feelings and personal attachments start to factor into the decision on whether a guy should continue to coach, that’s when you get into real trouble.

Willingham is a poor analogue here.

The only reason you’re trying to claim personal attachments are at issue is because the conclusions of the people who actually know his work is pretty much uniform that he knows what he’s doing.

Dre11

Reaction score
Blogging the Boys isn’t trash but if you deny they can be real homers you haven’t paid attention.

Homers, all cowboys fans have some homer in them, but they tell it like it is.

Sydla

Reaction score
He wants to win. I don’t care how, if they didn’t think they could win with him he wouldn’t be here.

But in the end just because they think he can win doesn’t mean he has or will.

And frankly if you look at their track record of hiring coaches, it ain’t the best.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a lot of cases, when emotion is involved, it actually is.

And I think emotion and loyalty is at play here. Jerry has been around Garrett for a large chunk of his time as owner of the Cowboys. Jason was handpicked by Jerry going back to his start with coaching the Cowboys. The families are fairly close.

I think it’s very difficult for Jerry to have to make a hard decision on Garrett. But with each passing season ending in disappointment, he (or Stephen) are getting closer to facing reality.

It really isn’t.

At least, it didn’t help Dez. Or Tony for that matter.