Why did Dallas draft Leighton Vander Esch?

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
It's crazy how Jerry always liked to "gamble" on players with red flags, hoping they'd get over their woes. Jeez, how's that working out? :banghead:
He seems to embrace this part of his personality in his business ventures, but it kicks him in the sack most times with the Cowboys...

CB61

Reaction score
Leighton Vander Esch has spinal stenosis. Had it his whole life.

That's the same condition that ended Michael Irvin's career. And he wasn't a head-butting middle linebacker.

This condition was why many NFL teams took Vander Esch off their board before the 2018 draft. He was deemed too risky to take early in the draft.

Apparently dating back to high school and college, he's had continuous issues with neck injuries just like he's going through now. I wonder if his poor play is partly because he's mentally trying to protect his neck at all times.

Why would you draft a linebacker with a severe neck injury risk in the first round? What are we doing early in these otherwise good drafts in recent years?

We could already be looking at the end of his career sooner rather than later. He could end up in the same scrap heap as Randy Gregory, Taco Charlton, and Trysten Hill in the end.
We had another linebacker that had that issue 2? Was it Billy Cannon? So I looked it up and it was him and also Devonte Holloman so there's a track record here

CB61

Reaction score
Somehow somebody convinced them that this wouldn't be an issue not surprising

John813

Reaction score
We had another linebacker that had that issue 2? Was it Billy Cannon? So I looked it up and it was him and also Devonte Holloman so there's a track record here

I don't think anyone knew about the injury in the draft regarding Holloman.

It was after his second neck injury where they discovered it.

CB61

Reaction score

Yes it was a congenital disease that was discovered after a hit or a tackle but he did have a spinal condition apparently article said it was from previous year so they're contradicting themselves

CB61

Reaction score

I just happened to find the Devonte Holloman thing when I was making sure I was right about Billy Cannon Jr

yimyammer

Reaction score
Why would you draft a linebacker with a severe neck injury risk in the first round?

XWDKDxA.png

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Last year no one had a problem with Jalen or LVE. They were the young studs of a suddenly improved defense. Last year they played at a pro bowl level and made huge plays. Everyone thought so highly of them that Lee was losing his starting job.

Now we are questioning both because it’s been a horrible year. It’s pretty obvious we have a DL that doesn’t occupy OLmen, and we have a serious issue with our defensive coordinator using them properly and putting them in position to make plays. Young guys don’t star one year and suck the next year on their own.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Leighton Vander Esch has spinal stenosis. Had it his whole life.

That's the same condition that ended Michael Irvin's career. And he wasn't a head-butting middle linebacker.

This condition was why many NFL teams took Vander Esch off their board before the 2018 draft. He was deemed too risky to take early in the draft.

Apparently dating back to high school and college, he's had continuous issues with neck injuries just like he's going through now. I wonder if his poor play is partly because he's mentally trying to protect his neck at all times.

Why would you draft a linebacker with a severe neck injury risk in the first round? What are we doing early in these otherwise good drafts in recent years?

We could already be looking at the end of his career sooner rather than later. He could end up in the same scrap heap as Randy Gregory, Taco Charlton, and Trysten Hill in the end.

they have short careers.

cowboyec

Reaction score
because he was the best player on the board.
too many folks round here watched too many Quincy episodes.
:starspin:LONG.LIVE.LVE.:starspin:

CPanther95

Reaction score
The rumor is that Marinelli said "Never trust a man with 2 first names", so they took Darius Leonard off the board.