CFZ Why did this FO let the Eagles get Hargrave, Joseph, and Suh?

Zordon

Reaction score
I just don't understand this FO and their approach to the DT position. They have allowed their chief rival to lap them over and over again at this key position going back to the 2012 draft (picking Claiborne over Cox).

More recently, Eagles got Javon Hargrave as a FA prior to the 2020 season for a reasonable three-years $39 million. I remember at the time wondering why we weren't showing any interest in him when our DTs at the time were Tyrone Crawford, Antwaun Woods, Christian Covington, and Trystena Hill? Hargrave has 10 sacks this season. 23 sacks for the Eagles in three seasons.

Then, this year the Eagles aggressively addressed their poor run defense by adding Suh and Joseph to their already talented dline. They have been rewarded for their aggressive approach. The Eagles have the 4th best run defense in the NFL since the addition of those two players.

This is very frustrating.

John813

Reaction score
IMO Dallas FO just doesn't care too much about the DT spot really since Glover in free agency.
We got big Ferg due to Parcells wanting to run the 3-4 and then Ratliff developed into an undersized stud NT.
After that it's been the Rod M show of try hard DTs without talent and Nolan I guess had the right idea but the plan brought in two over the hill DTs.

I don't know if it's because they think the guys they got can develop into competent players or they just think the DE's are the show and go and they just need warm bodies at DT.
The trade for Hankins was a good move, but like you posted there were other DT's in FA that could of been signed to help shore up the DT spot. 2 of the guys we entered the year with have been cut.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I just don't understand this FO and their approach to the DT position. They have allowed their chief rival to lap them over and over again at this key position going back to the 2012 draft (picking Claiborne over Cox).

More recently, Eagles got Javon Hargrave as a FA prior to the 2020 season for a reasonable three-years $39 million. I remember at the time wondering why we weren't showing any interest in him when our DTs at the time were Tyrone Crawford, Antwaun Woods, Christian Covington, and Trystena Hill? Hargrave has 10 sacks this season. 23 sacks for the Eagles in three seasons.

Then, this year the Eagles aggressively addressed their poor run defense by adding Suh and Joseph to their already talented dline. They have been rewarded for their aggressive approach. The Eagles have the 4th best run defense in the NFL since the addition of those two players.

You want the honest answer?

This team doesnt care about the Safety position or DT position. Why? They dont sell jerseys.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Jerry goes for a Hollywood core center...instead of rock hard play.

JBond

Reaction score

Of all the gripes I read on the site, this is the most legit question.

links18

Reaction score
Jerry got lucky that some of the bargain basement players he brought in at DT have been at least serviceable (going back as far as Alonzo Spellman) , so he has conditioned himself to believing he can get by without spending a lot at the position. This year, they tried the same approach at WR, got burned and Jerry has been entertaining thoughts of signing OBJ for months. Meanwhile, Philly beefed up their trenches.

stinkface

Reaction score
I think if we had had a monster DT who was great Jerry would feel differently then he does. Since we never had a great one Jerry has no desire to get one. It's not a D coordinator issue, it's a GM issue.

GoldenR

Reaction score
I always find this difficult to understand in regards to signing top quality free agents in the off season. Way back when, Charles H. was signed, championship, then came Prime Time, championships by signing top 10 players in the league. I assume Jimmy J. had something to do with this. JERRY, STOP TRYING TO OUTSMART PEOPLE, 27 YEARS!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but being a good run defense team takes a collective effort from all 11 players. Getting that the big-money contract is the top priority of every player. That means DB/S need interceptions, DLinemen need sacks, and LBers need tackles and sacks. How many of your 11 players sacrificing personal stats on any given play to support the run defense? This is precisely why DLaw was voted to the Pro Bowl.......he does it consistently game after game. It's why coaches wanna see many players running to the ball on any given play.