Twitter: Why do Cowboys fans get labeled as bandwagoners?

CPanther95

Reaction score
Any Cowboy fan outside of the local broadcast region I’d describe as a Bandwagon which isn’t meant to be a slant. They may see themselves as a Diehard now but they abandoned their local or regional team at some point. Unless they relocated from this area or had family that did influencing them.

Bandwagon fans hop on usually because of a championship winning team , a player or players attract them. Rarely do fans abandon their local teams if they’re winning championships. I’ve never met a Dallas or Texas native who wasn’t a Cowboy fan. Except for a few Houston fans.

Local or regional fans can be casual as well only watching or having more interest when they’re winning while not abandoning. Local diehards are usually the more critical and apathetic fans when team isn’t having success. Critical fans are often confused as Bandwagon because they are so unhappy when team isn't winning.

And just because you at some point hopped on the wagon instead of being born into it doesn’t make you’re any less of a fan. As a matter of fact I’ve found them to at times to be more homerish because it was their choice to follow. They also can be more sensitive to the criticism.

But the interest outside of our local and regional broadcast area comes with the territory when you’ve had championship success over a couple different generations. Like the Yankees, Lakers or Celtics for example.

And I’ve met many of these afar fans at games who have become great and loyal fans now. But there usually is a little different mentality choosing your team than being born into it.

I’m a Baylor alumni . I’m a fan despite them being a dormant team for most of my life with no real chance to win a championship. Very apathetic attitude much like I take with Cowboys now. Not expecting to win a championship. It’s a different mentality . Similar to what I’ve seen like in Detroit or Cleveland .

It’s not much fun following a horrible team and why fans often hop on other wagons . My wife’s is alumni of Texas. They are my Wagon team. I’ll root for them if it doesn’t effect Baylor.

I'd extend it to the entire state of Texas. Possibly throw in Oklahoma also.

You also have to add in anyone raised by a Cowboy fan. Kids don't have a choice in that.

Anyone else just became a fan to piss off their parents during a rebellious phase, or has a parent or grandparent, etc. that did that. ;)

MikeB80

Reaction score
Any Cowboy fan outside of the local broadcast region I’d describe as a Bandwagon which isn’t meant to be a slant. They may see themselves as a Diehard now but they abandoned their local or regional team at some point. Unless they relocated from this area or had family that did influencing them.

Bandwagon fans hop on usually because of a championship winning team , a player or players attract them. Rarely do fans abandon their local teams if they’re winning championships. I’ve never met a Dallas or Texas native who wasn’t a Cowboy fan. Except for a few Houston fans.

Local or regional fans can be casual as well only watching or having more interest when they’re winning while not abandoning. Local diehards are usually the more critical and apathetic fans when team isn’t having success. Critical fans are often confused as Bandwagon because they are so unhappy when team isn't winning.

And just because you at some point hopped on the wagon instead of being born into it doesn’t make you’re any less of a fan. As a matter of fact I’ve found them to at times to be more homerish because it was their choice to follow. They also can be more sensitive to the criticism.

But the interest outside of our local and regional broadcast area comes with the territory when you’ve had championship success over a couple different generations. Like the Yankees, Lakers or Celtics for example.

And I’ve met many of these afar fans at games who have become great and loyal fans now. But there usually is a little different mentality choosing your team than being born into it.

I’m a Baylor alumni . I’m a fan despite them being a dormant team for most of my life with no real chance to win a championship. Very apathetic attitude much like I take with Cowboys now. Not expecting to win a championship. It’s a different mentality . Similar to what I’ve seen like in Detroit or Cleveland .

It’s not much fun following a horrible team and why fans often hop on other wagons . My wife’s is alumni of Texas. They are my Wagon team. I’ll root for them if it doesn’t effect Baylor.

I have two neighbors who grew up here, one is a bears fan and the other is a niners fan.
also the extended family of another friend here are all packers fans.

All locals.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Most don’t even know what that term means. Like who would bandwagon to a team that hasn’t won in 25 years?

THIS.

Had this very argument with an Eagles’ fan on Sunday. This team hasn’t been to an NFC Championship Game since 1995. So any “bandwagon” jumpers here jumped on 24 years ago.

Argument makes zero sense.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Pats are getting all of the bandwagon fans. In five years from now when Brady is gone I wonder if they’ll stay Pats fans.

CPanther95

Reaction score
THIS.

Had this very argument with an Eagles’ fan on Sunday. This team hasn’t been to an NFC Championship Game since 1995. So any “bandwagon” jumpers here jumped on 24 years ago.

Argument makes zero sense.

The ones jumping on in the past 24 years are doing it for the "glitz and glamor", not for football.

stuckindc

Reaction score
I hate the stereotype but I can see where it comes from

Cowboys have the biggest fanbase in which a large part of it are from fans all over.

Why are there so many Cowboy fans in markets like New York?

hint: it aint because of Jerry Jones

Also, casuals like to boast about 5 super bowls and legends like the triplets even though reality is that this has been one of the worst franchises in the last 20 years.
you should see how many are in the DMV! Skins fans go nuts about this...Half the stadium is Cowboys fans...They spend as much time worrying about the Cowboys as they do their own dumpster fire of a franchise ...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd extend it to the entire state of Texas. Possibly throw in Oklahoma also.

You also have to add in anyone raised by a Cowboy fan. Kids don't have a choice in that.

Anyone else just became a fan to piss off their parents during a rebellious phase, or has a parent or grandparent, etc. that did that. ;)
Cowboys regional broadcast area extends to part of 5 states. OK, Ark, NM and La. I’d include them as well. And I included those whose family influenced their fandom.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The ones jumping on in the past 24 years are doing it for the "glitz and glamor", not for football.
With Fantasy Football now influencing this younger generation of fans we probably have more Bandwagon fans than ever before. I’m sure Romo attracted fans much like Dak is now.

Throw in all of the technology capability of watching all the Teams from anywhere , this generation probably doesn’t even view it as Bandwagon.

ghst187

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Zordon, post: 9615898, member: 34827"I'm sick of hearing about how much we're bandwagoners. If anything, we are one of the most loyal fanbases in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

QUOTE]

totally agree! It’s garbage. We lead the league in ticket and gear sales year after year and remain the most valuable sports franchise despite not having won a darn thing since 1995. I’d call that loyal and the antithesis of bandwagon. You want to see bandwagon, check any patriots fan. Prior to Bill Parcells and Tom Brady I’m not sure they had a single fan.

Cleveland fans, now those suckers are not bandwagon! Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
you should see how many are in the DMV! Skins fans go nuts about this...Half the stadium is Cowboys fans...They spend as much time worrying about the Cowboys as they do their own dumpster fire of a franchise ...
That hasn’t always been the case. I attended RFK in the 90’s and weren’t that many Cowboy fans.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We're leading the league in attendance for the 10th year in a row. Granted, we have the biggest stadium, but I highly doubt most teams would get up to 90k+ every game if they had the capacity.

Meanwhile, compare us to Atlanta. They have a new world-class stadium and were in the Super Bowl three years ago, now look at them. The photo below was taken 2 minutes into the 1st quarter today.

I'm sick of hearing about how much we're bandwagoners. If anything, we are one of the most loyal fanbases in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

S6knIFM.png

I love the star, I love what it represents. That doesn't mean I'm a fan of every team this franchise has put on the field. I am an individual. I alone choose what I like or don't like. Bandwagon LMAO.

Pape

Reaction score
Pats are getting all of the bandwagon fans. In five years from now when Brady is gone I wonder if they’ll stay Pats fans.

there are some, but not too many... if they stick around when this wild ride eventually concludes, mores the better... more often than not, though, I see fair weather fans who will shift from the Pats to the Sox to the Bruins, etc... they are loud when winning, not a peep when things don't go well... but the fandom is always there, just waiting for a new "spring" ... New England sports teams in general have hardened us over the course of a life time...

GINeric

Reaction score
I never understood how some less than intelligent folks would even call Cowboys fans "bandwagon" fans.... Some people need to learn the meaning of words before they use them.

VACowboy

Reaction score
They call Cowboys fans bandwagon fans because, well, what else can they say?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bwahahahahahahahahah...the most loyal fan base? Have you ever come to this site after a loss? We go from self proclaimed SB champs to a dumpster fire over the course of 2 weeks. Do you realize how big the metroplex is compared to some of these other teams cities? Have you ever been to a Cowboys game and do you realize how expensive tickets are and how many seats are filled by corporations who own season tickets and give away tickets to potential clients who aren’t even fans?

It really does amaze me how the fan base continues to grow amongst younger fans despite the lack of success.
I've never been to another team's board, but from what I've seen in the "Trolling the Nation" threads, every fan base is the same way.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Abandoned the local team? A lot of us didn't like them in the first place. :laugh: The Dallas Cowboys are appealing and it transcends logic. It is what it is. The local team has absolutely nothing to do with it. Just my opinion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Abandoned the local team? A lot of us didn't like them in the first place. :laugh: The Dallas Cowboys are appealing and it transcends logic. It is what it is. The local team has absolutely nothing to do with it. Just my opinion.
That exactly what I’m referring to. Liking your local or regional team isn’t an option. That’s your team. The NFL existence is based and relies on local and regional support.

Local teams represents the community you live in or near. It’s like saying you don’t support where you live. These franchises are dependent on the local support in attendance and tv viewership.

Having a local or regional team who isn’t popular or has much success is part of the fan experience. It doesn’t mean you can’t root or enjoy watching other teams but that is the basis for Bandwagoning.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most of the Cowboys fans I've known are not bandwagon fans, in fact, I think Dallas has fewer than most teams because they've not won enough to get them on the wagon.

I think the Cowboys have more fans that are not NFL fans and just Cowboys fans and that started back in the 70's with Landry. For them, the Cowboys are the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That exactly what I’m referring to. Liking your local or regional team isn’t an option. That’s your team. The NFL existence is based and relies on local and regional support.

Local teams represents the community you live in or near. It’s like saying you don’t support where you live. These franchises are dependent on the local support in attendance and tv viewership.
I disagree and I lived in different cities and not adopted the local team. The exposure to local teams helps increase some of that but only fans that don;t already have a team will adopt the local one.