Why do hawks let pro bowl DE go then trade for clowney?

jsb357

Reaction score
Duh.

Maybe they did not like the guy they had...

That happens you know.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Was his name dee ford?

Dee Ford was traded from KC to SF. The real question, is why did KC trade Dee Ford, just to trade for Frank Clark all within the span of a few months. Seattle *may* have thought they would be fine without Clark or their cap outlook may just be better in 2020 as opposed to 2019, I don't know.

John813

Reaction score
Probably were content to go as is until they found out they could get Clowney for a low compensation.

Agents can play a role too. As we saw with Cooper and Oakland.

@Manwiththeplan KC went from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Maybe they thought Ford couldn't transition or weren't sold on his price tag and changing scheme? Clark had some prior issues but he can definitely rush the pass in the 4-3.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Seattle traded Frank Clark, presumably because they didn't want to sign him, and then traded for Clowney, who needs to be re-signed. Doesn't make much sense to me, though Clowney is a better player.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Seattle traded Frank Clark, presumably because they didn't want to sign him, and then traded for Clowney, who needs to be re-signed. Doesn't make much sense to me, though Clowney is a better player.

1. Traded less for Clowney than they got for Clark
2. Better player
3. Changing schemes that better suits Clowney than Clark
4. Would have had to pay Clark this year, get to wait until next year for Clowney

Pretty simple to me

Xelda

Reaction score
I suspect the salary cap plays into these bizarre trades.