Why Do New Draft Picks Say We Are a Marquee Franchise?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great points Hazey. I’m still amazed anyone not currently on an antipsychotic would really believe “Jerry really wants to win”. No, he defiantly gives the finger to us fans and continues to be involved in jocks and socks winning be damned. Then again, there’s a fool born every minute.
Well, he does want to win . But only his way.

It’s a love/ hate relationship. Whaddaya do. We hate the owner but love the kids. Like a bad marriage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, I just wonder why anyone would bother if they were positive their team had no chance whatsoever.
It’s really not so hard being a fan of a dormant franchise or school. You just have a different mindset. Apathetic , critical , negative .

It’s why the Browns for example haven’t become America’s Team. Haven’t had success. But the locals still hang out in the Dogpound. Nothing like local loyalty.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
People... the OP is trolling all of you to bring up your own issues with the football team while you are totally missing the bigger point here.

1. The Cowboys are still one of the most winningest NFL teams of all time.
2. The Cowboys are by far the most valuable sports franchise in the world.
3. The Cowboys have held the NFL attendance record for many years in a row.
4. The Cowboys are recognized by the networks as a cash cow for them when they air their games.

We all have our own issues with the team that we can point out to why the team is no longer what it once was but they all pale in comparison to the 4 facts I have pointed out. The OP is just wrong about the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People... the OP is trolling all of you to bring up your own issues with the football team while you are totally missing the bigger point here.

1. The Cowboys are still one of the most winningest NFL teams of all time.
2. The Cowboys are by far the most valuable sports franchise in the world.
3. The Cowboys have held the NFL attendance record for many years in a row.
4. The Cowboys are recognized by the networks as a cash cow for them when they air their games.

We all have our own issues with the team that we can point out to why the team is no longer what it once was but they all pale in comparison to the 4 facts I have pointed out. The OP is just wrong about the Cowboys.
The OP is actually right about many things. Unfortunately, it hasn’t mattered thus far.

There was a time in Cowboys history where the lack of success on the field took a hit on revenue, etc. But not this era. It’s frikin unbelievable. And it’s allowed our frikin owner to continue his ways.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Revenue says otherwise. I think the sooner you realize money matters more for the cowboys than anything else. the sooner you’ll understand why the cowboys are THE preeminent franchise in the history of anything

Money matters more to the Cowboys than anything???/ So does Jerry spend cheaply on player contracts? Are we several million under the cap every season, putting more money in Jerry's bank account? How much money did Jerry spend on The Star? if he likes to keep that money in his pocket, why did he spend the money on The Star?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@ArtClink Marquee means leading or preeminent. Preeminent means very distinguished in some way or surpassing all others.

So, what is your issue with players who are excited to have achieved one of their goals and dreams? What is your problem with players with confidence and think they will win a championship?

Do the Cowboys have ‘marquee’ players on the roster? Dak, Elliott, Lawrence, Cooper, Jaylon, Tyron, Collins, Lamb, Gallup, Martin, etc. Are these players not marquee? We’re these players not ‘marquee’ their rookie years?

Or do you just want to rant and vent your frustration from the Cowboys not winning a super bowl in 25 years?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve always hoped there would be an insurrection of sorts for Cowboys football and our owner. But he’s scathed thru so far. Simply amazing especially in a city like Dallas and a state like Texas .

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Let me get this straight, according to you I’m not a fan because we disagree on what a marquee franchise is? You better look up the definition of a marquee franchise and then post again.
Are the Chicago Bulls a "Marquee Franchise?" Are the Colts? Dolphins? Marquee, is only teams with recent short term success?

Define "Marquee" for me, or what in your opinion makes a team a "Marquee Franchise."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Money matters more to the Cowboys than anything???/ So does Jerry spend cheaply on player contracts? Are we several million under the cap every season, putting more money in Jerry's bank account? How much money did Jerry spend on The Star? if he likes to keep that money in his pocket, why did he spend the money on The Star?
Not sure who equates Jethro’s quest to generate revenue to being cheap. He’s definitely not cheap.

Cowboys have the finest facilities and HQ of any franchise.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The OP is actually right about many things. Unfortunately, it hasn’t mattered thus far.

There was a time in Cowboys history where the lack of success on the field took a hit on revenue, etc. But not this era. It’s frikin unbelievable. And it’s allowed our frikin owner to continue his ways.

He was not right in the title of this thread "Why Do New Draft Picks Say We Are a Marquee Franchise?" The word Marquee actually has nothing to do with winning or losing it is according to Webster, Marquee is having or associated with the name recognition and attraction. Cowboys clearly are a Marquee franchise and because of the attention they generate can make this an attractive place for many players. If the OP where to say this team is not an elite team any more then I would agree, it is something we would all like to see this team to return to but we currently are not elite

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are the Chicago Bulls a "Marquee Franchise?" Are the Colts? Dolphins? Marquee, is only teams with recent short term success?

Define "Marquee" for me, or what in your opinion makes a team a "Marquee Franchise."
I think he defines it with current success on the field . Which he’s obviously mistaken.

Well, it might be in his mind but unfortunately isn’t the case. We are still a marquee franchise despite our lack of success on the field this era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He was not right in the title of this thread "Why Do New Draft Picks Say We Are a Marquee Franchise?" The word Marquee actually has nothing to do with winning or losing it is according to Webster, Marquee is having or associated with the name recognition and attraction. Cowboys clearly are a Marquee franchise and because of the attention they generate can make this an attractive place for many players. If the OP where to say this team is not an elite team any more then I would agree, it is something we would all like to see this team to return to but we currently are not elite
Yea, Arts intentions were well intended. He’s an old disgruntled fan like many of us. But words matter. Agreed!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yea, Arts intentions were well intended. He’s an old disgruntled fan like many of us. But words matter. Agreed!

We all get disgruntled sometimes the threads around here are head scratching, maybe it is a case of misery looking for some company? lol. Around here I am a homer to the critics and a critic to the homers. lol You will never here me whine about media making their negative comments on the Cowboys, I don't get upset because Aikman during a broadcast was being critical, I don't buy into the league or the officials are out to get us. I also tend to look at this club year to year not 25 years until today. When Campo was HC and I saw old talent that no longer would play at a top level I said so. Today I see a team capable of competing, as far as championship level I think that all depends a lot of how quickly and who far this defense can come along.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I’ve always hoped there would be an insurrection of sorts for Cowboys football and our owner. But he’s scathed thru so far. Simply amazing especially in a city like Dallas and a state like Texas .

Has Jerry not given the fans who spend money on tickets and watch the Cowboys on tv exactly what they wanted? Pay Lawrence the fans said. Jerry did. Pay Dak they screamed in a hissy fit. Jerry paid. Pay Elliott the cried. Jerry paid. Same with Emmitt and Aikman and Romo and on and on. The money spending fans want to see their stars.

Fans screamed ‘pay da man’ when it came to Dak, Lawrence, Elliott, Jaylon, and others. Jerry paid marquee prices so the fans would have their stars to see even though many were just mediocre talents. Would have been a fan insurrection if Jerry didn’t pay.

The paying fans got what they wanted. I am not a paying fan. I spend $0 on the Cowboys. We all have to watch these mediocre talents every week and hope.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

How many "Elite," teams are there in the NFL?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then your definition of a marquee franchise has little to do with on the field results and more to do with the amount of media coverage and scrutiny.
It’s not my definition. In the verb form Collins dictionary defines it as “so well-known or well-publicized as to attract large audiences

You asked why people call it a marquee franchise, and to answer that requires understanding the definition of “marquee”. Using your own made up definition would not provide a true answer.