Why Do New Draft Picks Say We Are a Marquee Franchise?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
color me skeptical after the past 25 years.
How many Rams fans were predicting a SB title in Warners magical run? How many teams out of 32 are sitting back saying "This is it, we are winning the SB this year?"

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How many "Elite," teams are there in the NFL?

Not many heading into the season. I think teams who are winning their division pretty consistent bases would be elite. Heading into this season I think top teams like saints could fall with Brees gone. Packers have been in my view a top team but with Rodgers in question so are the packers

Reid1boys

Reaction score
put down the blue koolaid, you have to win to be a marquee franchise. Mic drop…
Well..... only the Pats can claim to be "Marquee," then.

The Chiefs are now Marquee?
Watch how quickly the Saints fall begins this year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not many heading into the season. I think teams who are winning their division pretty consistent bases would be elite. Heading into this season I think top teams like saints could fall with Brees gone. Packers have been in my view a top team but with Rodgers in question so are the packers

Thank you.... you just made my point. The teams you are considering "Marquee," aren't there because of all the great moves made by the owner, GM and coach. If that were the case, the franchise wouldn't drop so quickly from that mantle as soon as they lost their stud QB. I agree 100%... Saints are about to drop back down to reality, and if Rodgers is done in Packerland, they are gonna drop just as fast.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How many Rams fans were predicting a SB title in Warners magical run? How many teams out of 32 are sitting back saying "This is it, we are winning the SB this year?"

To me it is not just the SB it is being in a position to contend for the SB. During the Landy years Cowboys failed to make the SB in many seasons but we were in contention year in and year out

Kwyn

Reaction score
How is Dallas a relevant team within the NFL?

They have not been to the Super Bowl since the 1995-1996 season, have a .500 or worse record in the last 25 seasons, have been to the playoffs in 10 of the last 25 seasons, have double digit wins in 8 of the last 25 seasons, and have a 4-10 playoff record in the last 25 seasons.........so again I ask: where is the team relevance?????
You focus exclusively on the win loss record

The NFL is not in the win loss business, except for the wins and losses *of* the business

The NFL is entertainment and the Cowboys are the NFL’s crown jewel. Just look at the ratings and the schedule

What team is playing against Tom Brady and the defending Super Bowl champs?

Hint, they didn’t make the playoffs and have a star on their helmet

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thank you.... you just made my point. The teams you are considering "Marquee," aren't there because of all the great moves made by the owner, GM and coach. If that were the case, the franchise wouldn't drop so quickly from that mantle as soon as they lost their stud QB. I agree 100%... Saints are about to drop back down to reality, and if Rodgers is done in Packerland, they are gonna drop just as fast.

I consider the Cowboys Marquee since the word Marquee has nothing to do with winning or losing. Marquee has to do with is having or associated with the name recognition and attraction. Cowboys clearly have that. Being an elite (top team) we have failed. Cowboys have had some very good season of 13-3 here and there but no consistenty. We have to build off of success from one season to the next instead it has been 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

I don’t think the Packers are. If Aaron really sits, that’s a 6 win team. They have a good but not great defense, a run game that depends on Aaron keeping the safeties deep, and 1 reliable skill player. They’re Arizona/Oakland/NYG, but with Aaron at QB

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don’t think the Packers are. If Aaron really sits, that’s a 6 win team. They have a good but not great defense, a run game that depends on Aaron keeping the safeties deep, and 1 reliable skill player. They’re Arizona/Oakland/NYG, but with Aaron at QB

And I said with Rodgers in question so are the Packers, I agree without Rodgers they will have a hard time winning but I will say even with Rodgers when they have achieved the SB it was Rodgers and a very good team. None the less GB has dominated their division with Favre and Rodgers and because of they have dominated their division I put them as one of the top teams.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
To me it is not just the SB it is being in a position to contend for the SB. During the Landy years Cowboys failed to make the SB in many seasons but we were in contention year in and year out
Comparing anything to 1970s and 80s NFL is a waste of time. Different rules back then. No cap, no free agency. Teams drafted and kept players for as long as they wanted them. Those days have been over for a long time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Comparing anything to 1970s and 80s NFL is a waste of time. Different rules back then. No cap, no free agency. Teams drafted and kept players for as long as they wanted them. Those days have been over for a long time.

I understand that, I also know there are teams right now like Seattle who has won their division on a pretty reg basis as have some other teams. Cowboys winning the East 1 season and the following not even making the playoffs has to come to an end. Cowboys must become a more consistent team and a team who can build off limited success from 1 season to the next not 13-3 1 season then 8-8 or less the next. When is the last time this team has made post season in back to back years?

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
Fans don’t care about revenue, biggest stadium, artwork, practice facilities, or net worth. Fans care about one thing: winning which means deep playoff runs.

Thirty plus years of the Jones cartel has lowered fan expectations to “I hope we’re competitive” & “maybe we can win the east”. Super Bowl or bust mentality is only valid for teams that have produced deep playoff runs in the past five years. Super Bowl? Hell we can win a div playoff game, at least not in the past 25 years.
I disagree - I want us to win big every year, realistically speaking. So do the fans. And coaches. And players. Everyone involved. Money is important, pedigree and prestige also. We have sniffed the championship games a couple/three seasons with Romo but insane calls and insane clutch plays doomed those years.

Dallas is popular for so many reasons, but those are the big ones in my view.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You focus exclusively on the win loss record

The NFL is not in the win loss business, except for the wins and losses *of* the business

The NFL is entertainment and the Cowboys are the NFL’s crown jewel. Just look at the ratings and the schedule

What team is playing against Tom Brady and the defending Super Bowl champs?

Hint, they didn’t make the playoffs and have a star on their helmet

Not in the win loss business? LOL Okay then.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Fans don’t care about revenue, biggest stadium, artwork, practice facilities, or net worth. Fans care about one thing: winning which means deep playoff runs.

Thirty plus years of the Jones cartel has lowered fan expectations to “I hope we’re competitive” & “maybe we can win the east”. Super Bowl or bust mentality is only valid for teams that have produced deep playoff runs in the past five years. Super Bowl? Hell we can win a div playoff game, at least not in the past 25 years.

Okay, winning or not winning, the Cowboys are a draw. The hate for this team drives revenue, more than the field play. Because they are talked about so much, even non football watchers, tune in to see what the hype is about. Jerry Jones, not only has the media wrapped around his finger. He also has the fanbase, right where he wants them. Mad, disgusted, bickering, melancholy, disturbed, etc., but still commenting and watching. Merch is flying off the shelves. There's new toys in Dallas!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do we expect them to say, newly picked to join the team and not actually on it yet? I don't think something like what Kyler Murray said is going to ingratiate them to management.

I think marquee in the way they're using it does fit. How many 6 win teams and 8 before that are getting maxed out in prime time games?

Marquee refers more to the attraction level than the accomplishment level.

My question is why in the hell do all of these people watch this team? If I weren't a fan, a trapped fan through my history, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch them. They're not a fun team to watch and it is certainly not representative of the level of play of the better, but not as popular, teams.

You replace TB with DAL in that SB and the ratings are higher than with GOAT Brady at QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What do we expect them to say, newly picked to join the team and not actually on it yet? I don't think something like what Kyler Murray said is going to ingratiate them to management.

I think marquee in the way they're using it does fit. How many 6 win teams and 8 before that are getting maxed out in prime time games?

Marquee refers more to the attraction level than the accomplishment level.

My question is why in the hell do all of these people watch this team? If I weren't a fan, a trapped fan through my history, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch them. They're not a fun team to watch and it is certainly not representative of the level of play of the better, but not as popular, teams.

You replace TB with DAL in that SB and the ratings are higher than with GOAT Brady at QB.

Personally once I become a fan of any team I am a fan through good and bad. When I 1st watched the Cowboys they were not SB winning Cowboys they were next years sweat hearts. I have never based my being a fan on winning or losing.

ESisback

Reaction score
It’s really not so hard being a fan of a dormant franchise or school. You just have a different mindset. Apathetic , critical , negative .

It’s why the Browns for example haven’t become America’s Team. Haven’t had success. But the locals still hang out in the Dogpound. Nothing like local loyalty.

A different mindset?!? Apathetic, critical, negative?!? First off, what do you mean? Is that supposed to describe MY fandom? Secondly, apathetic is basically the opposite of critical. Finally, there IS nothing like local loyalty. There’s also nothing like loyal, longtime fans thousands of miles away, fighting the good fight in enemy territory! But that’s another discussion for another time…