Why Do People Say That Our Defense Lost The Game?

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I am just curious as to how bad our D really played. We forced Washington to punt on their first three drives. Washington's only two TD's came in a horrible second quarter of play. Even against Phili, it was our offense that gave them the short field and fumbled in the endzone for two of their scores.

Our offensive gameplan was horrible and it crippled our offense as well as our defense. I am not trying to preach but really want to know how the loss can be placed on Wade and Stewart but not on Garrett. Dallas had the ball for a little more than a third of the game. That is horrible. Washington didn't panic when we went up by 7, we panicked when they went up by 7. Our offense abandoned the run way too early and focused on Owens entirely too much. It didn't do what they have done the previous three weeks of taking what the defenses are giving them. In short; the Dallas offense didn't give their defense a fighting chance.

Now I like Wade but I am not certain he is the guy to get us over the hump. I am a believer that you don't hire a coach who can't win playoff games to be the head coach of a team that can't win playoff games. I think he is an asset to the team but I am tired of his, "This is on me, guys" approach. I just don't see how all fingers are pointed at him or that our defense didn't show. It may not be the packages that you guys want to see, but most breaks in our defense has been caused by the offense. Yet not one single thread about Jerry firing poor Jason.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2300970 said:
I am just curious as to how bad our D really played. We forced Washington to punt on their first three drives. Washington's only two TD's came in a horrible second quarter of play. Even against Phili, it was our offense that gave them the short field and fumbled in the endzone for two of their scores.

Our offensive gameplan was horrible and it crippled our offense as well as our defense. I am not trying to preach but really want to know how the loss can be placed on Wade and Stewart but not on Garrett. Dallas had the ball for a little more than a third of the game. That is horrible. Washington didn't panic when we went up by 7, we panicked when they went up by 7. Our offense abandoned the run way too early and focused on Owens entirely too much. It didn't do what they have done the previous three weeks of taking what the defenses are giving them. In short; the Dallas offense didn't give their defense a fighting chance.

Now I like Wade but I am not certain he is the guy to get us over the hump. I am a believer that you don't hire a coach who can't win playoff games to be the head coach of a team that can't win playoff games. I think he is an asset to the team but I am tired of his, "This is on me, guys" approach. I just don't see how all fingers are pointed at him or that our defense didn't show. It may not be the packages that you guys want to see, but most breaks in our defense has been caused by the offense. Yet not one single thread about Jerry firing poor Jason.
Of course Garrett and the offense are partially to blame.

The offense gets more of a pass because they've been so fantastic the last 2 years. The defense hasn't been markedly better since Phillips and Stewart arrived. They don't get the benefit of the doubt, since we've generally been winning because of the offense.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Clinton Ports 21 rushes 121 yards
Santana Moss 8 catches 145 yards

They punted four times and we couldn't stop them in the second half.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Allowed:
26 points
381 total yards
Only forced 4 punts
Created zero turnovers
Over 38 minutes of possession

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Just look at Washington's time of possession, rushing yards, and passing yards. That should give you a clue as to why our defense lost this game. Re-watch the game, 12 yard cushions on the wr's and 3 step drops by Little Quincy.

We have a hig powered offense that can score a lot of points. But all offenses have days when they will not be able to score 40 points. That's why the defense needs to step up. They could not get themselves off the field.

The offense didn't play very well, but according to Brad Sham and Larry Brown, on Talking Cowboys, Garrett called 15 running plays that Tony audibled out of. The game plan was solid, the execution was not.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Because when we needed stops our defense GAVE them 1st downs.

Pretty much untested.

When you have the talent and you dont use it than something is wrong.

These guys should never let teams in the red zone as much as they do.

The offense was bad too but still easily good enough to win a game vs Washington.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
11 rushes for 44yds and 19 incompletions means a lot of 3 and outs. The defense was gone towards that second quarter, much less the second half.

Here are our scoring drives: Witten TD was 60 yards in 2:35. Folk kick was 66 yards in 1:53. Owens TD was 57 yards in 2:34. Austin TD was 87 yards in 1:40. How is that keeping your offense off the field??

I am not giving a free pass to the defense. I don't want Stewert here either. But Garrett (or Romo at the line. It doesn't matter either way) did their defense no favors.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301014 said:
11 rushes for 44yds and 19 incompletions means a lot of 3 and outs. The defense was gone towards that second quarter, much less the second half.

Here are our scoring drives: Witten TD was 60 yards in 2:35. Folk kick was 66 yards in 1:53. Owens TD was 57 yards in 2:34. Austin TD was 87 yards in 1:40. How is that keeping your offense off the field??

I am not giving a free pass to the defense. I don't want Stewert here either. But Garrett (or Romo at the line. It doesn't matter either way) did their defense no favors.

The offense has some blame to dont get me wrong.

But putting up 24 points should've been enough vs those guys.

We can't depend on our offense every week to just light up the other teams defense.

Sometimes our 9 first round picks on that side of the ball are going to have to win a game for us and not LET the other team just take it.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301014 said:

The offense struggled you're right however its the same offense thats been carrying us for a while now.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
CATCH17;2301026 said:
The offense has some blame to dont get me wrong.

But putting up 24 points should've been enough vs those guys.

We can't depend on our offense every week to just light up the other teams defense.

Sometimes our 9 first round picks on that side of the ball are going to have to win a game for us and not LET the other team just take it.

Agreed.

If you can't see how our defense lost the game, then im not really sure how to explain it to you. I thought it was pretty obvious.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Total first downs for Washington: 22
Total first downs by Dallas: 21
I am not seeing the huge difference that says our defense couldn't carry us but theirs did.

Third down efficiency for Washington: 40%
Third down efficiency for Dallas: 50%
Again, our defense did better on those stops. And they had more third down attempts than we did so it isn't that they were getting it on their 1st and 2nd downs all day.

The defense lost it, sure.. but the offensive play calling (or change there of) was the reason, IMHO.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think the answer you're looking for is....Because the defense did lose the game.

They were pathetic. They couldn't stop Portis, heck they couldn't even slow him down.

Moss ate them alive.

They allowed Jason Campbell to look like the second coming of Steve Young in the West Coast offense.

They had a shot, in the 4th, to step it up and give Dallas a chance to win 24-23. The Commanders got the ball back, after a 3 and out by the Offense, with 10 minutes and change left.

7 minutes later they kicked the field goal that put them up 26-17 and essentially put the game out of reach, baring an onside kick recovery.

So, yeah, when you allow a team to drive 7 minutes off the clock, out of the final 10 minutes, and add 3 more to their lead, in a tight game then your defense absolutely shoulders the majority of the blame, especially if they've played poorly pretty much the rest of the day as well.

Boysboy

Reaction score

The Skins had 2 TDs whiped off b/c of unecessary penalties. To boot, our first TD was a result of a boneheaded penalty by them on 3rd down.

The game wasn't NEARLY as close as it looked. We got our last TD with ease b/c they were playing prevent.

It's time to move on. Yes-I think we'll be fine.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301033 said:
Total first downs for Washington: 22
Total first downs by Dallas: 21
I am not seeing the huge difference that says our defense couldn't carry us but theirs did.

Third down efficiency for Washington: 40%
Third down efficiency for Dallas: 50%
Again, our defense did better on those stops. And they had more third down attempts than we did so it isn't that they were getting it on their 1st and 2nd downs all day.

The defense lost it, sure.. but the offensive play calling (or change there of) was the reason, IMHO.

then explain why we punted more than they did ????

TwentyOne

Reaction score

How many points did the Giants defense give up against the Commanders ? How many did the Giants Offense score to win it ? And are we supposed to play better on Defense talent wise ?

How many points did our Offense score against the Skins and would we have won with the Defensive perfomance of the Giants ?

That's to me why our Defense lost the game.

Another reason is if your Defense gives up a FG 3 min before the end of the game that makes it a 2 scoring game that's when your defense loses the game.

Another reason is our offense scored 24 points and raced up about 400 yds. Even if it looked like a mediocre performance by our offense 24 points should have been more than enough.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
on key downs our defense was like butter and Portis kept gliding through it.

And Newman STUNK it up, I mean come on... James Trash is scoring on us. Not to mention how bad he bit on the pump fake that let Randel El get what seemed like a 50 yard pass down the sideline.

Our secondary was a joke.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2301035 said:
So, yeah, when you allow a team to drive 7 minutes off the clock, out of the final 10 minutes, and add 3 more to their lead, in a tight game then your defense absolutely shoulders the majority of the blame, especially if they've played poorly pretty much the rest of the day as well.

I agree and I will even say that the defense lost it. But I still have yet to be convinced that our offense was what put our defense in a poor situation. The last 10 minutes when you have already been out for more than 30 minutes of game is not going to be good. That was what we loved about our offense. We beat people on the clock, got their defense tired, then Marion came in and ate them for dinner. It is done to us and all of a sudden the offense gets a free pass.

I am not saying that we didn't win because the offense couldn't put up the points, I am saying that the offense kep the defense out there entirely too long.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Our offense didn't do us any favors with 3 and outs and no running game but in this league scoring 24 points really ought to be more than enough to beat a team when they're in our house.

The defense needed to step it up and they couldn't do it. Our offense, even with great gameplanning, can't be expected to score 30+ every week, cause it's just not gonna happen.