Why do you care so much about the yearly average on a contract?

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree, it cracks me up when I read posts like "no way am I'm paying that" or "it will cripple us in the future"
Who's money is it? I guess some are financial advisors for the Jones'
"It will cripple us in the future" simply means the poster is worried about building a super bowl contender, and overpaying players cripples you toward that goal.

kskboys

Reaction score
Quite frankly, in the end the only thing I care about is winning. Whatever a guy makes matters little if it helps us win a championship or even make a deep playoff run.
Yes, if they could pay the guy a billion and it wouldn't count against the cap, I'd be all for it. Building a super bowl contender is all that matters to me as a fan.

sean10mm

Reaction score
All that being said......Prescott is in no way,shape or form worth an average salary of 20 mil + per year

Then brace for impact buddy, because he's getting way more than that. Guys who don't even have 16 regular season starts and/or a single playoff win are getting like $27m per now.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Of all the numbers involved in an NFL contract; years, cap hit, bonuses, yearly cash, incentives, base, dead cap, etc. - the average yearly over the term fo the deal is easily the most meaningless.

Yet, y'all love going in circles arguing about it, and I'm curious as to why.

Just because it's the easiest to understand in relation to how normal everyday job salaries work?

Neither the player nor the team cares about that number.

The player wants guaranteed cash and perhaps security with a longer term, the team wants to manage the cap and build in an escape hatch if things go south after a few years.

You'd think some of y'all were going to have to dig into your savings to pay these deals, but I promise, no one is going to come knocking on your door.

I care about it because it average annual salary combined with guaranteed money gives me a top down overview of expectations and commitment level.

Also, I dont claim or desire to be a cap expert, so the rough idea conveyed by two rough numbers is close enough for me. When it's relevant in discussion I can always pull up over the cap for a yearly breakdown.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
That's literally what I just said.

"Average Yearly" means nothing without the context of all the other factors, and in fact it matters the least at the end of the day because it assumes everything else is even and static, which if far from the truth.

My point was all the stuff you claimed was more important than annual average isn't really more important. The premise is mistaken.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
You'd think some of y'all were going to have to dig into your savings to pay these deals, but I promise, no one is going to come knocking on your door.
Conversely, it seems like Dak slobberers get a cash bonus kicker directly into their PayPal for every extra million that Dak and his agent are able to negotiate...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Of all the numbers involved in an NFL contract; years, cap hit, bonuses, yearly cash, incentives, base, dead cap, etc. - the average yearly over the term fo the deal is easily the most meaningless.

Just because it's the easiest to understand in relation to how normal everyday job salaries work?

The player wants guaranteed cash and perhaps security with a longer term, the team wants to manage the cap and build in an escape hatch if things go south after a few years.

It’s what is most widely published by the media, and what is most discussed by media and fans. It allows for somewhat of a basis to compare contracts.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't care much about all that contract talk ether. That's for the FO to figure out, just get-r-done. Give me my guys that we need to make our game plan work. That's pretty much how I approached that D Law matter and it worked out. Now it's Dak and Amari getting new contracts soon. Just get'em paid so we can keep 'em on the field.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
All that matters is the yearly cap hit. And since that number keeps teams from advancing to/in the playoffs all the time, the cap hit is all that matters.
The cap hit doesn't tell you enough

It could be small or large based on a signing bonus or restructure or incentives

It is so easy to manipulate the cap that it is approaching irrelevancy

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The only thing that is important is that once the contract is over or the player is cut/traded, how much did that player get paid by the Cowboys on that contract and for how many years. The total amount divided by the number of years the player played for the Cowboys is the Actual AAV. If we knew the Actual AAV in the beginning, nothing else would matter..

Looking at the advertised AAV and guaranteed money when a new contract is signed, allows us to estimate the Actual AAV.

The ratios of guaranteed money to Advertised AAV don't vary much with contracts in the past several years; therefore, knowing the Advertised AAV implies the guaranteed amount in regards to the mega-contracts like DLaw. For lesser contracts like Tavon Austin or Randall Cobb, the incentives, AAV to guaranteed ratio (guarantees might be zero), etc. can vary quite a bit and I think those things do get discussed in those situations. Incentives for Tavon Austin were definitely discussed.

The running average of the Actual AAV for ALL players on the team each year must (on average) match the NFL Salary Cap. Like any average, some years can be below the average and some years can be above the average.

Money can be pushed forward into future years; however, the best way to estimate if a team is going to have cap problems is by looking at the AAV for ALL players on the team in a given year and comparing that to the NFL Cap. If the AAV for all players is more than the Cap, then the team is on pace to run out of Cap space.

The cap is as simple as a persons personal budget. You can spend more than you make by getting loans; however, at some point you won't be able to make the loan payments. Your average spending over time must be about equal to your average earnings over the same time period.

I assume that you are just "playing dumb" with your last sentence and that you can't actually not know the answer. If the Cowboys had paid DLaw 150M per year, then the remaining players on the team would have to be minimum wage UDFAs. If DLaw retires and the Cowboys want to pay him 150M as a coach or water-boy, nobody cares because it does not count against the salary cap.

kskboys

Reaction score
The cap hit doesn't tell you enough

It could be small or large based on a signing bonus or restructure or incentives

It is so easy to manipulate the cap that it is approaching irrelevancy
It does for me. As Sausage man said, I'm not interested in studying the cap and knowing it backward and forward. All that matters to me is the cap hit, because that is all that matters when attempting to attain the players to get you over the top. So, to me, the cap hit is everything.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
The only thing that is important is that once the contract is over or the player is cut/traded, how much did that player get paid by the Cowboys on that contract and for how many years. The total amount divided by the number of years the player played for the Cowboys is the Actual AAV. If we knew the Actual AAV in the beginning, nothing else would matter..

Looking at the advertised AAV and guaranteed money when a new contract is signed, allows us to estimate the Actual AAV.

The ratios of guaranteed money to Advertised AAV don't vary much with contracts in the past several years; therefore, knowing the Advertised AAV implies the guaranteed amount in regards to the mega-contracts like DLaw. For lesser contracts like Tavon Austin or Randall Cobb, the incentives, AAV to guaranteed ratio (guarantees might be zero), etc. can vary quite a bit and I think those things do get discussed in those situations. Incentives for Tavon Austin were definitely discussed.

The running average of the Actual AAV for ALL players on the team each year must (on average) match the NFL Salary Cap. Like any average, some years can be below the average and some years can be above the average.

Money can be pushed forward into future years; however, the best way to estimate if a team is going to have cap problems is by looking at the AAV for ALL players on the team in a given year and comparing that to the NFL Cap. If the AAV for all players is more than the Cap, then the team is on pace to run out of Cap space.

The cap is as simple as a persons personal budget. You can spend more than you make by getting loans; however, at some point you won't be able to make the loan payments. Your average spending over time must be about equal to your average earnings over the same time period.

I assume that you are just "playing dumb" with your last sentence and that you can't actually not know the answer. If the Cowboys had paid DLaw 150M per year, then the remaining players on the team would have to be minimum wage UDFAs. If DLaw retires and the Cowboys want to pay him 150M as a coach or water-boy, nobody cares because it does not count against the salary cap.

It appears a lot of people are "playing dumb". According to many, 20 mil/year is not getting paid, but 23 mil/season is getting paid. Very strange way of thinking.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Oh my bad, I wasn’t aware the govt subsidies players salaries..

All this time I thought money came from fans watching the games, advertisements, ratings, going to the games, buying merchandise, etc, etc...

Oh wait we pay taxes, those subsidies are still payed by us...:rolleyes:

C’mon man, Nothing is free, somebody (We) is paying the bill in some form or fashion, either directly or indirectly...

Maybe I don’t think player X is worth 10-35 million a year, maybe I want that money going to a better talent elsewhere..

Besides, what else am I going to rant and rave about, soccer? Pfffttt:D

X550i

Reaction score
"It will cripple us in the future" simply means the poster is worried about building a super bowl contender, and overpaying players cripples you toward that goal.

I'm with that and agree.
I also see the Cowboys as a contender for a SB right now, the building part is over.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It does for me. As Sausage man said, I'm not interested in studying the cap and knowing it backward and forward. All that matters to me is the cap hit, because that is all that matters when attempting to attain the players to get you over the top. So, to me, the cap hit is everything.
You are like the guy that says "what does the car cost per month?"

Don't care about the length, the interest rate, the total price, the resale value ..... just the monthly payment..... it is a very myopic view of things

And you pretend to not care but you are participating in a APY thread in April trying to tell the other nerds how nerdy they are

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
You are like the guy that says "what does the car cost per month?"

Don't care about the length, the interest rate, the total price, the resale value ..... just the monthly payment..... it is a very myopic view of things

And you pretend to not care but you are participating in a APY thread in April trying to tell the other nerds how nerdy they are

I think the myopic view is that knowledge of all the details are prerequisites to discussing the cap.

Like your car example. I dont need to know the resale value to know that I can afford a certain monthly payment. That's where the conversation begins, and so I know not to bother shopping for a Lamborghini, regardless of resale value. Those details become important as I zero in on cars in my price range.

You said yourself that the cap is so flexible its almost irrelevant. I don't know enough to judge if you're right or wrong but since you posed the premise, I'll just ask: why is the cap irrelevant in one post and all the details of each contract relevant in the next? Seems like if the whole thing is fluid then a rough idea is sufficient.

That brings me back to my stance. I am not an expert, I dont care to become one, and outside of the basics you're not making a compelling argument for me to dig deeper.

I think what we have here is some people like the nitty gritty financial details and some people dont get as into it. Different strokes, as they say.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
You sound like @Toruk_Makto and you are both wrong

APY clearly matters the most...... it is how they keep track..... other numbers count of further inspection but APY is #1

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel
Don't @ me. You're still wrong. APY is one of the last things argued about in a new contract. Often APY is known pretty early on. The issue is guarantees, practical guarantees and 3 year haul.

Negotiations do not get held up over APY. The Cowboys and Lawrence were not "far apart" because of 20MM APY vs. 22.5MM APY. That's an absurd stance to take.

This is not something worthy of debate. It is fact.

Don't @ me.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think the myopic view is that knowledge of all the details are prerequisites to discussing the cap.

Like your car example. I dont need to know the resale value to know that I can afford a certain monthly payment. That's where the conversation begins, and so I know not to bother shopping for a Lamborghini, regardless of resale value. Those details become important as I zero in on cars in my price range.

You said yourself that the cap is so flexible its almost irrelevant. I don't know enough to judge if you're right or wrong but since you posed the premise, I'll just ask: why is the cap irrelevant in one post and all the details of each contract relevant in the next? Seems like if the whole thing is fluid then a rough idea is sufficient.

That brings me back to my stance. I am not an expert, I dont care to become one, and outside of the basics you're not making a compelling argument for me to dig deeper.

I think what we have here is some people like the nitty gritty financial details and some people dont get as into it. Different strokes, as they say.
What you like is that other people to get the nitty gritty details and explain them to you

If you just wanted to watch football the cap hit would be the last thing you were interested in because it means nothing without context

TSmith could have a 15m cap hit or an 8m cap hit depending on one stroke of a pen

Which tells you the story of his contract?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I could have hit reply but I figured I would @Toruk_Makto you instead

Don't give demands when you have been so loud and rude in the past