Why does Jerry and his son think they are NFL GM’s

tunahelper

Reaction score
So Jerry and Stephen think they are NFL GMs that are capable of building a team, evaluating talent, signing free agents and everything that involves building a championship roster

Besides being billionaires what makes them believe they can do this?

30 years of history is in the books now…

Their money speaks so loud that it drowns out any logical evaluation of their contributions to the football field.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Yet somehow there were 23 GMs that were worse than Jed and Jethro (Beverly Hillbillies reference) last year. My question would be, "How come all 23 of those GMs weren't fired?"
Have those same GM’s been in charge of the same team for the last 26 years?

kskboys

Reaction score
Yet somehow there were 23 GMs that were worse than Jed and Jethro (Beverly Hillbillies reference) last year. My question would be, "How come all 23 of those GMs weren't fired?"
Man, you really gotta pay more attention. GM's get fired all the time for non-peformance.

Aside from the one other owner/GM, the GMs who are as bad as Jerry have already been fired throughout the years. Most get 2-5 years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah, this is not exactly true and you know it. Jimmy Johnson was an integral part of the building of those teams. It's not a coinidence that once he left and the teams he helped build got older that the fortunes of the franchise changed under Jerry solely.
Thing is....they've had success when Jerry's ego allowed him to bring in a top end HC. Twice.

Then when he feels the roster is up to speed, he pulls the 'thanks I'll take it from here' routine and brings in a puppet so he can take credit, and it falls apart.

I'd say it's pretty clear what stands in the way of success in Dallas, and it's one man's ego...and that's it. Maddening beyond belief.

Then people will say it's his team and he can do what he wants....which is fully true. Doesn't mean I have to LIKE it, or listen to people tell me I shouldn't bad mouth the guy.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
So Jerry and Stephen think they are NFL GMs that are capable of building a team, evaluating talent, signing free agents and everything that involves building a championship roster

yeah, the Cowboys are the only sports franchise where owners and their families have run the team, negotiated contracts, made trades, run drafts. The Cowboys are the only ones who have ever done it, sure

Ive been hearing this complaint for over 30 years now, are not people still not resigned to this by now?

jujoboys

Reaction score
Have those same GM’s been in charge of the same team for the last 26 years?

You are assuming that I meant that Jerry should keep his job as a GM. My remark was in reference to how bad the GM market must be if Jerry can out perform 23 of them. Jerry should have fired himself from the GM position a long time ago.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Man, you really gotta pay more attention. GM's get fired all the time for non-peformance.

Aside from the one other owner/GM, the GMs who are as bad as Jerry have already been fired throughout the years. Most get 2-5 years.

You are assuming that I meant that Jerry should keep his job as a GM. My remark was in reference to how bad the GM market must be if Jerry can out perform 23 of them. Jerry should have fired himself from the GM position a long time ago so we are on the same page.

Big_D

Reaction score
I could have added more teams. There are plenty of teams that went on terrible runs. Cinci until recently. The Raiders. Bills until recently. Wash.

Of course Jerry is going to say he wants to win. That's like asking a politician if he cares about the people. A fan's hopes may not be the owner's goal. The owner may want a steady stream, not feast or famine. As a business owner, which would you prefer?

Feast or famine is exactly what football is. If your owner/GM isn't smart enough to know you have to work towards a window while having down years then you have problems. So you're saying being garbage is intentional? Getting slapped in the face in the playoffs? He's a joke. If what you say is true it actually makes him a bigger POS. You're talking about a guy who probably thought he had a shot even through the Campo years. He's that delusional.

This is a football team and I'd prefer a team that wasn't a complete disaster in January. Because the regular season "success" (if you want to call it that) means absolutely nothing without it.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score

Jerry has 3 trophies, they have o e of the most coveted personnel men advising them. How many other gms have 3 rings since Jerry's been with the Cowboys? 1?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Jerry and Stephen have earned three Super Bowl rings how many do you have? I'm not a big Jerry and Stephen fan but I'm even less of a fan of people that sit on their couch and think they know everything about running an NFL team..

BigD_95

Reaction score
Yeah, this is not exactly true and you know it. Jimmy Johnson was an integral part of the building of those teams. It's not a coinidence that once he left and the teams he helped build got older that the fortunes of the franchise changed under Jerry solely.

well how did Jimmy Johnson do after he left? I don't remember many good years in Miami

and isn't part of being a GM hiring Jimmy?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a news flash for you. Fans have less than ZERO to do with who is in charge of the team.
Thank you. The incessant finger pointing at fellow fans has been beyond redundant almost as long as when the Jones/Johnson split occurred. Literally, every single Cowboys fan could stop buying tickets, apparel, etc., and it would not force Jones to remove himself as general manager.

Dre11

Reaction score
There are 30 other owners that also own a team but understand the limitations of their football knowledge and hire professionals to make roster and coaching decisions.
Not all Ware's agent pointed out he's worked with clubs where the owners are just as involved but won't put their neck out there to take blame when things don't work, he said that's what he applauds the Joneses for they're out front. Also, the joneses have over 30 years of experience with a top personnel guy ad using them.