Why I’m excited for next year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as long as jerry and Stephen run the show even with the new coaches not going to get very excited

I think the pendulum swings in both directions regarding the Joneses.

People will criticize them for choosing Garrett and sticking it out with him for far too long - and rightfully so.

But what they won't do is to give them their deserved credit for stocking one of the league's most talented teams for that same coach.

They gave that coach every opportunity to succeed and he couldn't get the job done.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey all! I wanted post about why I’m excited about next year. Im not too worried about contracts. Personally, I would like to see Prescott and Cooper get resigned, and I think they most likely will.

I am excited about our new coach and coaching staff! I especially like that McCarthy was able to choose his assistants. I felt like, with Garrett, there were too many times that he and his assistants didn’t always mesh well with the scheme or the players(ie: Bill Callahan, Scott Linehan, Paul Alexander, Sanjay Lal) and even on the defensive side(Rod Marinelli, Kris Richard last year and Ben Bloom, heck even our special teams coach!) granted, some of those hires weren’t Jason’s call.

What I like about a McCarthy, is that he knows his staff, and they for the most part have tons of experience. Save for maybe Linguist and Moore. I’m not 100% sure how our Off/Def/ST will look like next year, but I’m more confident in McCarty and Mike Nolan than I was with Jason Garrett and Rod.

I really like what Mike said about drafting good players and making the scheme work around that, than vice versa. I felt like we missed out on a few guys because they didn’t fit what Rod wanted. Mike’s experience coaching in the NFL will help the team out tremendously imho.

I’m a chef, and the best way for me to put it from what I was seeing is, Jason Garrett looked like that Culinary student that got an executive chef job right out of culinary school. Mike McCarthy is that chef who started from the bottom, worked his way up, has years of experience, and he already won his “James Beard Award”, so to speak. (Rod is that chef still stuck in the 90s, garnishing with tomato roses and balsamic drizzle :laugh:) Anyway, what i guess what I’m getting at is coaching matters, and I think McCarthy will be a great hire for us. What are your thoughts?
I'm baffled as to why I don't see you on our Gameday Menu threads!!! Someone with your knowledge would be an asset. What are you holding out on the CZ team??? We not good enough for ya?? Lol

I cannot wait to see what MM does!! That has me very excited!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forgot THE LAMB SAUCE
Ranching's game day menu thread will enjoy your expertly prepared menu.

But I think everyone is excited to replace stale and incompetent coaching with someone who has won a super bowl.
Just noticed he was a new member. Hopefully he can class up our menu a bit! Welcome...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Done ever getting excited for a season, this Dak crap has left a horrible taste

Go find a different flavor.
You like wild game, go to Chicago, have some Trubisky. Then compare. Or jump up right on up the the Rams for some Goff.
I doubt it is legal to have Eagles, but Wentz is there.

johneric8

Reaction score
In this forum, for some "smart" means that your opinions align with theirs. :rolleyes:
I get that, but the analogys that he made were pretty spot on and explanatory.

If you look at the cowboys logically with all the moves that have been made, it absolutely should bring some optimism and excitement on the behalf of the fans. It is only entertainment after all :)

Dreski

Reaction score
Just noticed he was a new member. Hopefully he can class up our menu a bit! Welcome...
I feel like I would really enjoy The Gameday Menu threads! I love all things food. I’ve always felt that food and music were the 2 things that can bring all types of people together.

Not sure how to quote 2 people in one reply, but I will say, I know Garrett does not share all the blame for our woes. In fact, Garrett even being the head coach for so long is all on Jerry. In my opinion, Garrett may have been a good coach, but he just didn’t have that experience of working his way up(I know he spent a few years as a QB coach and OC, but it was not for a long time) I feel that that’s where his short comings were. The team didn’t always have an answer for dealing with players and certain situations, and that comes with experience.

One thing that McCarthy said that stuck with me regarding Witten coaching was that he’d be doing himself a disservice if he didn’t work his way up to being a position coach. Can’t find the quote right now though. Jerry shares the blame yes, he kept throwing coaches and money at a problem that never going to get better because of not wanting to give up on his HC project.

And to those talking about Dak, I understand people being skeptical about resigning him. He has some valid criticisms, as do all quarterbacks in the NFL. Yes he needs to clean things up and keep working on getting better. In my honest opinion, if you stuck Goff or Wentz on this team, the argument could be made that they might not have done much better than Dak last year. Every quarterback needs a good coach and talent around them. A short rib is just a piece of meat if it does not have the right chef or the right ingredients to pair with it.

There’s a lot for the cowboys to work on, but we’ve changed the one common denominator that’s been here for a decade.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This forum for the last 10 years - Garrett is not the issue! He's really smart and the players love him!

This forum now - Garrett was soooooooo the issue.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Hey all! I wanted post about why I’m excited about next year. Im not too worried about contracts. Personally, I would like to see Prescott and Cooper get resigned, and I think they most likely will.

I am excited about our new coach and coaching staff! I especially like that McCarthy was able to choose his assistants. I felt like, with Garrett, there were too many times that he and his assistants didn’t always mesh well with the scheme or the players(ie: Bill Callahan, Scott Linehan, Paul Alexander, Sanjay Lal) and even on the defensive side(Rod Marinelli, Kris Richard last year and Ben Bloom, heck even our special teams coach!) granted, some of those hires weren’t Jason’s call.

What I like about a McCarthy, is that he knows his staff, and they for the most part have tons of experience. Save for maybe Linguist and Moore. I’m not 100% sure how our Off/Def/ST will look like next year, but I’m more confident in McCarty and Mike Nolan than I was with Jason Garrett and Rod.

I really like what Mike said about drafting good players and making the scheme work around that, than vice versa. I felt like we missed out on a few guys because they didn’t fit what Rod wanted. Mike’s experience coaching in the NFL will help the team out tremendously imho.

I’m a chef, and the best way for me to put it from what I was seeing is, Jason Garrett looked like that Culinary student that got an executive chef job right out of culinary school. Mike McCarthy is that chef who started from the bottom, worked his way up, has years of experience, and he already won his “James Beard Award”, so to speak. (Rod is that chef still stuck in the 90s, garnishing with tomato roses and balsamic drizzle :laugh:) Anyway, what i guess what I’m getting at is coaching matters, and I think McCarthy will be a great hire for us. What are your thoughts?
I've always wanted and still want to be a chef. It's like a bucket list thing.
I love cooking. It's wonderful to me. There aren't any good chef programs in El Paso though.

Flamma

Reaction score
Did anyone consider we might not even have a new year?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Did anyone consider we might not even have a new year?
Uhhh... no? Is the Earth going to stop turning, or something?
Oh! Are you talking about the sickie thing going around? We'll see about that.

Flamma

Reaction score
Uhhh... no? Is the Earth going to stop turning, or something?
Oh! Are you talking about the sickie thing going around? We'll see about that.

I wouldn't know if the earth stopped turning since I don't feel it doing it right now. Do you? But yeah, I think the NBA is suspending their season until further notice. Who knows what will happen with the NFL?

ondaedg

Reaction score
There is NOONE more excited about this upcoming season than me. I didn't personally dislike Garrett but couldn't fathom how we could get to the big show with a guy whose weakness was Xs and Os and a defense that was among the league's worst at generating takeaways for almost a decade.

A good coach and a defense that takes the ball away are more important than having a roster of pro bowlers. 2020!

Dreski

Reaction score
This forum for the last 10 years - Garrett is not the issue! He's really smart and the players love him!

This forum now - Garrett was soooooooo the issue.
I haven’t liked Garrett for a while. Now I wouldn’t say I never liked him, I was hopeful at the beginning, but he just never could get it done