CFZ Why I don't think Sean Payton is coming to Dallas

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know there's consensus among some that Payton is just going to pack his belongings and move to the Cowboys because he lives in Dallas. While this is intriguing, this does not make sense to me. Here are the reasons:

1. Say what you want about Mike McCarthy, but I like the job he's doing. Yes, his clock management isn't great, but he's still much better than Jason Garrett. Remember, this is the same franchise that had Garrett for about 10 years as a HC. Not to mention the time he was the OC here as well. That's a lot of cleanup Mike had to do, and I think the team is getting better. There definitely seems to be a plan to me.
  2. Sean Payton would cost to much. Remember, he's under contract still with the Saints, and the Saints have made it clear they'll want at least 1 first round pick in exchange. That's not a good move imo. Yes, Sean Payton is a solid HC. However, I don't think he's worth that.
  3. What makes you think Sean Payton WANTS to coach here? Yes, we have a lot of talent. However, let's not forget. Payton HAS coached here. He knows Jerry Jones. How do you know he'd even want to come here?
  4. If Mike didn't work well, why would Sean? Both coaches have had a HOF-QB, and only managed to win one SB. What makes Sean special where Mike isn't?
  5. Most importantly, even if we do move on from Mike, there is a better option imo in the Cowboys own organisation than Sean. Dan Quinn is the man that I think would make the most sense. Think about it. There is a clear change in philosophy on defence. The players are much younger, quicker, and nastier. The team drafted Parsons last year, who is a completely different breed of LB than the Cowboys have had since maybe DWare, who Garrett gets no credit for drafting as he was not here. Prior to that, the best defencive player aside from DWare and Parsons was Charles Haley for the Cowboys. The secondary is taking more chances and are attacking the ball. This NEVER was as prevalent on this team under Garrett, especially under Marinelli. That's no coincidence. That's a change in style and tactics. That's a front office that's listening and respects the opinion of Dan Quinn and clearly believe in him as a coach and, as seen on the defence last year, for good reason. Oh, and let's not forget he was the interim coach against the Saints, and he put on an absolute clinic that game. I think Quinn is the next HC, and rightfully so.
  6. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. We've done consecutive offensive-minded HCs in Garrett and Mike. Sean would be another of that mindset. Maybe it's time to try a defencive-minded approach at HC. Mind you, the Cowboys, with the exception of Dave Campo, we've done well with that mindset, especially one that values trenches like Quinn does. Landry did well, obviously. Jimmy Johnson was a defencive-minded coach. Bill Parcells is another, and Wade Phillips did well with us. Perhaps it's time to return to those roots with Quinn if we get rid of Mike.
In conclusion, maybe it's time we change our approach to coaching. I think it's time we go defencive-minded, and we don't have to look to another team for that. We have one here that's done wonders to our defence.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know there's consensus among some that Payton is just going to pack his belongings and move to the Cowboys because he lives in Dallas. While this is intriguing, this does not make sense to me. Here are the reasons:

1. Say what you want about Mike McCarthy, but I like the job he's doing. Yes, his clock management isn't great, but he's still much better than Jason Garrett. Remember, this is the same franchise that had Garrett for about 10 years as a HC. Not to mention the time he was the OC here as well. That's a lot of cleanup Mike had to do, and I think the team is getting better. There definitely seems to be a plan to me.
  2. Sean Payton would cost to much. Remember, he's under contract still with the Saints, and the Saints have made it clear they'll want at least 1 first round pick in exchange. That's not a good move imo. Yes, Sean Payton is a solid HC. However, I don't think he's worth that.
  3. What makes you think Sean Payton WANTS to coach here? Yes, we have a lot of talent. However, let's not forget. Payton HAS coached here. He knows Jerry Jones. How do you know he'd even want to come here?
  4. If Mike didn't work well, why would Sean? Both coaches have had a HOF-QB, and only managed to win one SB. What makes Sean special where Mike isn't?
  5. Most importantly, even if we do move on from Mike, there is a better option imo in the Cowboys own organisation than Sean. Dan Quinn is the man that I think would make the most sense. Think about it. There is a clear change in philosophy on defence. The players are much younger, quicker, and nastier. The team drafted Parsons last year, who is a completely different breed of LB than the Cowboys have had since maybe DWare, who Garrett gets no credit for drafting as he was not here. Prior to that, the best defencive player aside from DWare and Parsons was Charles Haley for the Cowboys. The secondary is taking more chances and are attacking the ball. This NEVER was as prevalent on this team under Garrett, especially under Marinelli. That's no coincidence. That's a change in style and tactics. That's a front office that's listening and respects the opinion of Dan Quinn and clearly believe in him as a coach and, as seen on the defence last year, for good reason. Oh, and let's not forget he was the interim coach against the Saints, and he put on an absolute clinic that game. I think Quinn is the next HC, and rightfully so.
  6. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. We've done consecutive offensive-minded HCs in Garrett and Mike. Sean would be another of that mindset. Maybe it's time to try a defencive-minded approach at HC. Mind you, the Cowboys, with the exception of Dave Campo, we've done well with that mindset, especially one that values trenches like Quinn does. Landry did well, obviously. Jimmy Johnson was a defencive-minded coach. Bill Parcells is another, and Wade Phillips did well with us. Perhaps it's time to return to those roots with Quinn if we get rid of Mike.
In conclusion, maybe it's time we change our approach to coaching. I think it's time we go defencive-minded, and we don't have to look to another team for that. We have one here that's done wonders to our defence.
I don't want Peyton here. Just not the right mind set. He and Jerry are 'good friends' and that is not optimal.
I agree that Quinn is probably the best one for the job. He has a winner's approach.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't want Peyton here. Just not the right mind set. He and Jerry are 'good friends' and that is not optimal.
I agree that Quinn is probably the best one for the job. He has a winner's approach.

And it seems to be that the plan, if we replace Mike, is for Dan Quinn to be the HC. The way this team is being assembled, I think, makes that clear. Adding Sean Payton would, imo, force a complete change in mindset. Additionally, Quinn may have a different idea with the offense and who the OC is that could best compliment the defence. That's important too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
In before "but Quinn was a bad HC in Atlanta" comments are made!! :D
P.S. - I'm not one of those that believes he was a bad HC!

Frankly, I don't think the latter stages of the Falcons situation was entirely his fault. He has an aging QB who's best days were long behind him, and that D was still very good. I think giving him Dak Prescott, a much younger QB who's best days are, imo, still ahead of him would do wonders for both Dak and Quinn.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it seems to be that the plan, if we replace Mike, is for Dan Quinn to be the HC. The way this team is being assembled, I think, makes that clear. Adding Sean Payton would, imo, force a complete change in mindset. Additionally, Quinn may have a different idea with the offense and who the OC is that could best compliment the defence. That's important too.
Starting to look like the offense needs a different direction. And, I don't give a rat's behind about how the Atlanta thing went.
He looks like a decisive coach who is more than capable of learning from his experience.

JBS

Reaction score
You probably spent hours between thinking and writing this post. And literally every single point you made is wrong. Every single one. Sheesh. A for effort, I guess.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No interest in Peyton. Lots of hype, lots of disappointing seasons despite a great roster and HOF QB.

Exactly, and, like I said, it'd just be a repeat imo of what we've been doing. If Mike isn't working like we want, why not try a defencive-minded approach?

Starting to look like the offense needs a different direction. And, I don't give a rat's behind about how the Atlanta thing went.
He looks like a decisive coach who is more than capable of learning from his experience.

Well, perhaps that's what we get for putting Kellen Moore at OC. He has very little experience. He should have been training at the college level or stayed longer as the QB coach before we tried to trot him out after one year learning on the job to make him OC.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You probably spent hours between thinking and writing this post. And literally every single point you made is wrong. Every single one. Sheesh. A for effort, I guess.

Not long actually thinking it up, but I think it's more logical. It started as a spark on another thread, and it made more sense to me as I was writing this thread. The Atlanta part of the equation with Dan is irrelevant to me. What he provides is a different approach, if we change HCs. Like I said, we've tried the offensive approach. Maybe it's time to try the other side of the ball with someone who the front office clearly respects. Look at how the team is assembled compared to when Garrett is here. Surely that's correct.

fivetwos

Reaction score
McCarthy either wins in the next two years and stays, or will no longer be sellable to the fanbase.

Also, Jerry isn't going to be around forever.

He will never stop sticking his face in a camera but at some point it the next few years he is going to need to quit showing up for work every day.

Don't forget....in hees mahnd, the team will take a significant hit when they lose him.

At that point is he going to tell the kid to GM on your own, and hire whoever you want as coach, and uhh good luck finding a new QB son.

No....he is going to want to hire his actual FRIEND, who is a respected coach, can co GM with the kid, and was a very big part in finding and developing Romo.

People say Payton won't work for Jerry, but those two wouldn't over lap much two or so years from now....and Payton knows all about Jerry (they are actually friends). Think he would turn down a Gruden like contract?

The Saints won't be getting a 1st for him in 2024, nor would they prevent him from coming back into the league. Their recourse is to rehire him, which won't happen.

I believe the plan is to give McCarthy another year or two since he has to pay him anyway, Payton can take his family time and work in TV, then come back as HC/co GM in Dallas as Jerry steps to a lesser role.

Payton will then be around to help find the next QB on a record HC contract.

Sounds quite plausible to me, and something I'd bet they have discussed casually.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've never thought Payton is coming to Dallas. If he wants to coach again he'll have options.

He's not signing up to sit at press conferences while Jerry and Stephen do the talking.

Put it this way, had we kept Nolan or somehow stuck with Garrett after 2019, then I'd be all for Payton. But, we have Mike and Quinn, with the latter making Payton imo not needed, especially at the expense of a 1st round pick when we know the FO relies on the draft.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
McCarthy either wins in the next two years and stays, or will no longer be sellable to the fanbase.

Also, Jerry isn't going to be around forever.

He will never stop sticking his face in a camera but at some point it the next few years he is going to need to quit showing up for work every day.

Don't forget....in hees mahnd, the team will take a significant hit when they lose him.

At that point is he going to tell the kid to GM on your own, and hire whoever you want as coach, and uhh good luck finding a new QB son.

No....he is going to want to hire his actual FRIEND, who is a respected coach, can co GM with the kid, and was a very big part in finding and developing Romo.

People say Payton won't work for Jerry, but those two wouldn't over lap much two or so years from now....and Payton knows all about Jerry (they are actually friends). Think he would turn down a Gruden like contract?

The Saints won't be getting a 1st for him in 2024, nor would they prevent him from coming back into the league. Their recourse is to rehire him, which won't happen.

I believe the plan is to give McCarthy another year or two since he has to pay him anyway, Payton can take his family time and work in TV, then come back as HC/co GM in Dallas as Jerry steps to a lesser role.

Payton will then be around to help find the next QB on a record HC contract.

Sounds quite plausible to me, and something I'd bet they have discussed casually.

That may be, but there's still the matter of Dan Quinn, who I think makes more sense at HC. As I've stated, he'd bring a new HC approach.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly, and, like I said, it'd just be a repeat imo of what we've been doing. If Mike isn't working like we want, why not try a defencive-minded approach?

Well, perhaps that's what we get for putting Kellen Moore at OC. He has very little experience. He should have been training at the college level or stayed longer as the QB coach before we tried to trot him out after one year learning on the job to make him OC.
More of Jerry advancing a beginner coach into an elevated position like Garrett.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Cowboys fans are getting their hopes up.
Sean Payton isn't going to be the Cowboys coach.
We're not giving up a first rounder for Payton. Jerry needs his days in the spotlight, and there's no bigger day aside from the NFC Championship and the Super Bowl than the NFL Draft.
Besides, he had Drew Brees for years and just got to one Super Bowl.
You think he's going to be able to match that with Dak? :muttley:
Get some 21st century new blood in here.
And, NO, not Kellen Moore.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Cowboys fans are getting their hopes up.
Sean Payton isn't going to be the Cowboys coach.
We're not giving up a first rounder for Payton. Jerry needs his days in the spotlight, and there's no bigger day aside from the NFC Championship and the Super Bowl than the NFL Draft.
Besides, he had Drew Brees for years and just got to one Super Bowl.
You think he's going to be able to match that with Dak? :muttley:
Get some 21st century new blood in here.

I think Quinn can get that with Dak however. The reason is because he likes the trenches. If this defence keeps getting better, that alone will make Dak's job much easier. Give him a better oline, and his job is a piece of cake compared to what he had with Garrett and in 2020.